It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: I just Heard an Explosion- News story confirms explosives, evacuation

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
A few minutes ago I just heard an explosion, and now I find this:

www.wlos.com...

Police evacuated an area in south Asheville this afternoon after receiving a call about a suspicious package that may contain explosives.

The package reportedly contains vials of nitroglycerin, which is used in the manufacture of explosives, specifically dynamite.

Authorities evacuated a quarter-mile area around a home on Rock Hill Place. The APD Hazardous Device team is collecting the material. It is not known yet where it came from.

News13 has a crew on the scene and will have the latest details in live reports at 5 and 6.BREAKING NEWS: Asheville Neighborhood Evacuated

Thursday, March 25 2010, 04:22 PM EDT

This is very close to my area, and I heard something go off... Man, I hope everyone is ok....updates to come on news.... Nitroglycerin?

Maybe they detonated it?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Keep us updated..... please

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The explosion wasn't huge, but it definitely was an explosion...I wonder if it had anything to do with... Nah, better not speculate...gotta wait

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Downtown Asheville webcam site, but may not be loading....

www.earthcam.com...

www.exploreasheville.com...

[edit on 25-3-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

That won't do any good, this was south asheville... not downtown, but thanks for trying

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
My limited understanding is that often, if there is suspected explosives they will remove it from the vulnerable area and then intentionally detonate it, either in a safe area, or in a 'container'.

Hope no one was hurt!

How big of an explosion did it seem to be?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Oh crap, now I am hearing sirens, and trucks...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

No problem, seems there all down right now.....

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Think i saw somewhere not long ago that there was a controlled explosion.

Will try and find a link

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Relax, your the reporter on the scene so to speak, you should be ok, as long as it's already gone off.....

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
My limited understanding is that often, if there is suspected explosives they will remove it from the vulnerable area and then intentionally detonate it, either in a safe area, or in a 'container'.

Hope no one was hurt!

How big of an explosion did it seem to be?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by westcoast]

Yeah but when they do that, it doesn't make that big of a noise, at least I thought not.

Hard to describe how big it was, like I said, not huge, but definitely BOOM.

And to evacuate a quarter mile area in that part of town? MAN, that is A LOT of people!

[edit on Thu Mar 25th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64
They took down the top webcam link, it's not available to the profane masses anymore. It's not to be for our unwashed eyes, apparently.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here you go

www.mountainx.com...

5:04 pm update from the city of Asheville: *HazMat* Update; explosive material safely detonated by APD in Rock Hill area.

City 4:17 p.m. update: (possibly nitroglycerin) in residence, Rock Hill area. APD to remove and dispose of materials.

From the city of Asheville, via Twitter at 4:10 p.m.: *HazMat* @AshevilleFD /APD on scene of explosive material in a residence in the Rock Hill area. 1/4 mile evacuation in progress.

Via Citizen-Times: Police Department spokeswoman Melissa Williams issued this news release moments ago:

“Police are in the area of Rock Hill Place in South Asheville after receiving a call about a suspicious package that may contain vials of nitroglycerin.

The area is being evacuated within a quarter-mile radius and the APD Hazardous Device Team is preparing to collect the material at the time of this release. Asheville Fire & Rescue is assisting with securing the area.

Nitroglycerin is used in the manufacture of explosives, specifically dynamite. It is also used as a heart medication.

Authorities at this time do not know where the material at Rock Hill Place came from and are concentrating on ensuring the safety of people in the neighb"orhood and on the safe destruction of the materials.

Looks like it was indeed a controlled explosion so good nwes is that no one should be hurt but then again no one is yet sure where the package could have came from. from.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
story here....

www2.wspa.com...

www.foxcarolina.com...

[edit on 25-3-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I hope you will remain safe.

I also hope that this was something that was controlled and not accidental.

Keep us posted and thanks for the information.

I am also doing what I can to pre-speculate.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Wow, ok, at least the sukka was safely detonated. Thanks for the quick help in all this folks, I didn't know WTF was going on.

Now the question is, what in the heck was that doing there? That is a very residential neighborhood...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Meth lab perhaps? Anyomous "patriot" in over his head? Maybe Tyler Durden was in town. I can't wait to hear what this explosion really was. What with all the HCR hooha going on...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well what they found was nitroglycerin after a phone call from what it sounds like was a worried citizen .

Now nitroglycerin is a heavy, colorless, oily, explosive liquid obtained by nitrating glycerol. Since the 1860s, it has been used as an active ingredient in the manufacture of explosives, specifically dynamite, and as such is employed in the construction and demolition industries. Similarly, since the 1880s, it has been used by the military as an active ingredient, and a gellatinizer for nitrocellulose, in some solid propellants, such as Cordite and Ballistite.

Authorities at this time do not know where the material at Rock Hill Place came from and are concentrating on ensuring the safety of people in the neighb"orhood and on the safe destruction of the materials.

I'm just hoping this incident isn't what i think it is.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yeah, I know what you mean, I was thinking same...that it might have to do with the HCR issue...BUT, patience, let's not jump the gun on this...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It probably was what we are all thinking. Just one more incident related to the back lash. Nitroglycerin doesn't mix itself. Somebody was gonna use it to do something before the police got a hold of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join