It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I noticed something strange about soldiers coming back from Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
None of them are sunburned. In fact they are very white, like they have not been in the sun for months. Maybe they don't go outside or the Army has some super effective sunscreen they are forced to wear. I could be that there is a conspiracy to make the word think there is a war and these guys are just going to a big party, telling us it was a war.
I mean no disrespect to any soldier by this statement but even my friends who fought over there did not get tan. One would think that that area would tan our pale-faced boys and girls. Any ideas why they come back sort of grey looking?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If you have friends that were over there, why don't you just ask them.
Case solved. I would wager the reason for it is that it is so hot over there,
that they don't walk around with their shirts off. Afterall, they are there to
fight a war and not lay around in the sun. They are lugged down with a
tremendous amount of gear and they probably wear long sleeve shirts
to get some protection from the sun. Again, ask all of those friends that
have been over there. I am sure they will have a reasonable answer.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I know when I cam back I was brown well the parts of my skin that showed to the sun were.... But when I came back during the winter months, when the sun doesnt really shine there i was pasty... Hmmm problem solved moving right along.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Exactly endtimer =)

This isn't a vacation........ They are loaded with gear, helmets, back-packs, etc... they only take it off on base, which is sheltered.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeah there ain't no combat going on in Iraq! Them soldiers are good liars

The village of Mahmadia never threw grenades at me or launched mortars. I must have imagined them ol rockets impacting tikrit, and the 8 guys that almost died because of bad leadership I guess that was just ketchup.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I got mad sunburnt when I was helping out to load the conexes, but thats because I took my top off and had no sunscreen. When your working outside the wire you always have your gear on and eye pro so its hard to get a tan unless your in the FOB wearing your pt uniform but even then we just try to stay indoors because the sun, it burns!!

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I know I looked like an alien, I'm pretty fair-skinned person. But when i got back my face and neck was dark as well as the back of my hands, but the top of my head and the rest of me was totally white. Looked kinda like a match.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I got a face and hand tan, the reason was because I was damn near never allowed to take my top off. The only people with tans were the damn contractors in their t-shirts.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
To be honest I find it slightly offensive making out that they're not actually at war, kinda stupid question tbh.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
well heres the awnser to your question. its simple our acu's (the uniform) pretty much cover our whole body. and thats what your wearin almost 24/7. unless your in a hanger, in my case. you would think that commin back from a place in the desert and the heat youd come back all nice and tan. i thought that id be all tanned up commin outta basic in ft benning ga.but that didt happen mainly because we had out acu's on.nothing weird is goin on here just were always coverd so somethin like a real bad sunburn wont happen

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
As others have stated we get the "soldier's tan". Face where the eyepro doesn't cover, back of neck, back of hands. That's it.

One day we were doing the connex shuffle (unload, then load the container for reasons only the officers are privy to) and decided to all downgrade our uniform. Big mistake. Battalion Commander walked past and had a word with our platoon sergeant, who then had a "word or two" with us.

They say you can get UCMJ for getting a sunburn. Destruction of Government Property.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelun

It's sad that they see us as government property instead of real living breathing human beings. I got sunburnt from constantly being in deserts from El Paso to Iraq to NTC. Also no one ever said anything to me about my sunburns but then again im not a pasty person so that might explain it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
My son came back from Iraq in March of 09. He spent pretty much the last 4 or 5 months there on base indoors working out, lifting weights. Not much in the way of "Combat" going on in Iraq anymore.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This is very true. Everytime I roll out there is no action of anytype going on execpt for a few IED's here and there but no busting caps since my last deployment and now its just plain old boring here. This war should have ended a long time ago.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Thanks for the info. I guess the media is not lying about there being a war. No conspiracy here. Move along.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Dont worry there are plenty of old You-tube videos the Iraq war detractors can still watch if they get lonely.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I haven't had a tan since I joined the Army.

A few more years and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see my internal organs. I'll be looking like an anatomy class mannequin.

If anything Iraq made me whiter because I was in ACUs 18/7. It ain't Vietnam anymore. Its a different Army now. We don't have time for pesky nuisances like sun poisoning and Uncle Sam can't afford hundreds of thousands of vets that turn up with skin cancer in 30 years cause we wanted a cool tan and some sweet "Hollywood" photos.

Besides, when its 130+ degrees, taking your thin fabric ACU top off isn't going to help very much.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
it is as if the laws of physics were different there. you lie in the sun all day and nothing happens. so how does this work then?

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If it's all one big party and no actual fighting, how do you explain the ones coming back in body bags?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
None of them are sunburned. In fact they are very white, like they have not been in the sun for months. Maybe they don't go outside or the Army has some super effective sunscreen they are forced to wear. I could be that there is a conspiracy to make the word think there is a war and these guys are just going to a big party, telling us it was a war.
I mean no disrespect to any soldier by this statement but even my friends who fought over there did not get tan. One would think that that area would tan our pale-faced boys and girls. Any ideas why they come back sort of grey looking?

I don't know where you saw these soldiers, but plenty of the ones from here that go come back tanned. Mine got burned more than once, since he's allergic to most sunscreens. No, the military doesn't have some special sunscreen, and yes, they are really there fighting. Some don't tan as much, and many do wear sunscreen regularly, since it's against regs to become sunburned, and they can get in trouble for it.

Seen a LOT of people returning, and none of them looked grey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join