It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bills to OK carrying concealed guns without permits advance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

true yours is a more likely scenario...
I was simple pointing out a con to open carry.
there are places I don't like to open carry, not that I'm being sneaky
I just don't want to offend more delicate sensibles...

As for learn proper use at home...
My grandfather wore his SAA on his hip all day every day to the point where we kids laughed when grandma scolded him for wearing it to Sunday dinner.
He was the Sheriff down in Silver City New Mexico Dear old grandma, she really was a saloon dance hall girl...

I have a colorful family history

[edit on 25-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A good day for Arizona if this goes through.
Concealed carry is a mark of a free and independent country in my eyes. It shows it trusts the citizens more than those places that do not allow it...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
My friends, I offer as my opinion the examples of Morton Grove, Illinois, and of Kennesaw, Georgia; Morton Grove made owning a firearm illegal, and graduated to the highest crime rate around simply because no one was armed in the city;

Kennesaw made it mandatory for every homeowner to own a firearm, and in the same time period since, roughly 10 years now, Kennesaw has no crime rate. Period; simply because every criminal knows that every household in Kennesaw has a firearm inside.

I have a CCP, and I go armed most everywhere, and advocate that we the people should exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

Write your representatives and prod them about restrictive gun laws; criminals do not abide by them, now, do they?
I think not.

seeker

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Oh! good point. Get a firearm that fits. I have small hands and the weapon of the day (at the time) for a US Air Force LE/SP was a 9mm Berretta (fine weapon in my estimation) But have you ever fired one? Not for the small handed let me tell you.

I was a member of the Peace Keeper challenge in 2003 and had to learn how to deal with the size of this weapon, and I did, but I also received months of extensive training with it.

But yes I could not agree more. When shopping mold the weapon to your hand, push the backstrap into your palm and do not settle until it feels right. Not too much trigger finger or too little - that trigger should fall right in the middle of that first digit comfortably.

The Sig p226 was a nice fit (aside from the price tag, but the FED picked that one up - score) I presently carry the Glock 17 9mm and recommend it highly as a nice middle of the road weapon.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It'd be nice if they brought this to Texas. I myself as a security-officer (or even if I was a police-officer) would like to be able to carry an extra handgun (hidden away where it can be reached by my left hand) in addition to my duty pistol (for a tactical purpose, ie: if my right hand gets injured or for whatever reason I won't be able to reach for my duty-pistol). Bad news is that it is illegal for me to do as such whether I have a CHL on top of my Security-Officer License or what-have-you. As a commissioned officer (while on duty in uniform) I can only carry one handgun and ONE only and it has to be in plain view otherwise if a Texas Department Of Public Safety State Trooper finds me doing any of the above? I'm in really hot water.

[edit on 3/25/10 by Marked One]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Thanks all for the input. I have only recently decided to purchase a handgun and honestly don't know much about them. I've gone to the range once with my father (retired Army) and brother (Currently serving) and got the rundown. Still need to learn the basics of proper care and cleaning.

The S&W M&P was more comfortable to hold, but I didn't get the chance to fire either. I haven't really decided on 9mm or a 40 cal either. I'm just still full of questions and I don't want to mess up my first (and probably only due to finances) gun purchase.

I am hoping that some of these bills do get passed though. As was already said, it's not the law abiding citizens that need the gun laws, and the criminals dont follow them anyway.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by the seeker_713g

Kennesaw made it mandatory for every homeowner to own a firearm, and in the same time period since, roughly 10 years now, Kennesaw has no crime rate. Period; simply because every criminal knows that every household in Kennesaw has a firearm inside.

I remember this like it was yesterday. That big sissy Phil Donahue made fun
of Kennesaw, saying "We're gonna see people gunned down for changing lanes without signaling their turn."
After Kennesaw went several years with no crime, Donahue was supposed to have the mayor on his show and apologize to him.
I think his how was canceled before it could happen.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mykahel
The S&W M&P was more comfortable to hold, but I didn't get the chance to fire either. I haven't really decided on 9mm or a 40 cal either. I'm just still full of questions and I don't want to mess up my first (and probably only due to finances) gun purchase.

Smith & Wesson is great. I own a Sigma 9mm. If you buy either that or the M&P you can print out a form off their website that you fill out and mail it in along with your sales receipt showing date of purchase and you get either your choice of a $50 rebate OR two free magazines. (I went with the two free mags. =)

Sigma may be kind of a rip-off of the Glock but it's still pretty good. In fact when the Sigma first came out it had the EXACT same safety-equipped trigger as the Glock. Afterwards Glock sued Smith & Wesson, saying they wanted their trigger back. Smith & Wesson complied and now the Sigma is what it is today.

And when I first bought it I wasn't expecting it to be able to fit inside my Black-Hawk Serpa holster (which was SPECIFICALLY designed for a Glock) but IT DID! And quite perfectly I might add. Heck, it even fit inside my Uncle-Mikes Pro-3 Retention-Holster (which is ALSO specifically designed for a Glock and ONLY a Glock.). So it's all good.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
While on the subject of high crime rates

you all do know thanks to the Mexican Drug War
Phoenix was named the kidnap capital of the world...
In home invasions they are second only to San Diego...

This measure also sends the message honest folks want their country back

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I believe you should be able to carry a concealed weapon if you choose and aren't a convicted violent criminal.

However I openly carry. I do so because I think alot of problems won't even begin to happen if they already know your carrying a weapon.

Concealed weapons seem to me to be more useful at ending an event. While openly carrying prevents the need to use the weapon in most cases.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Honest folks may want their country back, but there are enough MK-Ultra operatives out there to derail this. What I mean by this is that as soon as carrying guns without permits becomes fairly commonplace certain mind controlled individuals will go on killing sprees designed to create opposition to this new law. I wish I had a solution, answer to this non-trivial problem.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There was a shooting at my apartment complex right outside my window a week ago. The person who fired the gun was protecting his car from a thief that just showed up recently (he broke into my car and took my ipod and radio -_-). Anyway, the guy fired like 10 shots into the air and scared the thief away, then called the police. They were searching the vicinity for the thief for hours, but I don't think they found him. I do not own a firearm, but I do own a double-barrel 20 gauge (for bird hunting) and a 22 rifle (weaksauce). This thread has encouraged me to start open-carrying. I live in Texas, so all I have to do is pass the NICS and then I will be able to immediately walk out of the store with the firearm. I won't pursue CCW just yet, but I am going to start open-carrying. And I'm going to forward this bill to my state rep. Good job, lawmakers. This makes me happy to be an American.

Edit to add:
I am a veteran, got expert in pistol, so I know how to use it

[edit on 25-3-2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have carried open in my car in Nevada for years.

The only thing a cops ever ask was what load i use in my 1911.

I did stop and backup a landers county sheriff one time as he had 4 gang member in a car out of Calif and I was hearing on the police and fire scanner that his backup was 30 minutes away.

After he had them cuffed and in the car he thanked me and to two cowboys that also stopped.
In talking to him i found out he was a ex calif police officer and was finely getting use to the locals backing him up as he never had it happen in Calif.

Oh i will not own a Glock. I want a gun that if i run empty i can use as a club.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Here in New Mexico, Ordinarily liberal Gov. Richardson just signed into law a provision that allows CCW licensees to carry in restaurants that serve beer & wine, as long as they are not drinking (which is already against the law for persons carrying concealed weapons). And this was a blue state in 08.

Seems as though the states are going against what the liberals in Washington would like to see happen with guns. A sign of things to come? I certainly hope so.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
already exist in my state, its called the carry law, anyone over 21 who isn't a felon can carry a concealed weapon anywhere at anytime, except banks.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, what are the other two states that already allow it?

Edit: Oh, Vermont and Alaska... It was in the original article. Dummy me.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mattifikation]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
already exist in my state, its called the carry law, anyone over 21 who isn't a felon can carry a concealed weapon anywhere at anytime, except banks.

In NM, CCW holders can carry into banks, and also into the post office. I believe you can open carry into banks as well (not sure). I wish the states would get on the same page with the 2nd amendment.

edit for grammar.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I live in Florida and have carried before without my CCW. I do have my fishing liscence and in accordance with Florida law I am ok:

Unless covered under the exceptions, it is unlawful to openly carry on or about the person any firearm, or to carry a concealed firearm on or about the person without a license.

Exceptions:
•Persons having firearms at their home or place of business.

•Enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trapshooting, while at, or going to or from shooting practice.
•Members of clubs organized for collecting antique or modern firearms while at or going to or from exhibitions.

•Persons engaged in fishing, camping or hunting and while going to or from such activity.

•Persons engaged in target shooting under safe conditions and in a safe place or while going to or from such place.

•Persons who are firing weapons for target practice in a safe and secure indoor range.

•Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession.
•Persons carrying a pistol unloaded and in a secure wrapper from place of purchase to their home or to a place of repair and back.

•Persons engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms.

•Military, law enforcement personnel and private guards while so employed.

I find myself bringing a fishing pole everywhere now. I personally think the CCW is a load of crap and costly. I understand that someone who has no experience with guns needs those courses to ensure they are taught the basics. I was an armed sentry in the Navy, for me those classes won't teach me anything I dont already know and cost me money I can't afford. Good on Arizona for trying to make it easier for a law abiding citizen to have the means to defend themselves legally.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Oh i will not own a Glock. I want a gun that if i run empty i can use as a club.

Amen. I had an conversation with an older officer who I noticed wasn't carrying a glock and he feels the same way.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Wait, are you saying in Florida you aren't allowed to open-carry unless you meet one of those exceptions?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join