It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bills to OK carrying concealed guns without permits advance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Bills to OK carrying concealed guns without permits advance

www.azcentral.com

Proposed legislation that would make Arizona the third state in the nation to allow adults to carry concealed guns without permits may be the first of the dozen or so weapons-related bills proposed this session to hit the governor's desk.

Lawmakers have amended Senate Bill 1108 and House Bill 2347 so they consist of identical language that would, among other things, eliminate the requirement for concealed-carry weapon permits for U.S. citizens 21 and older.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
this is the part I like best

"If you want to carry concealed, and you have no criminal history, you are a good guy, you can do it," Pearce said of his bill. "It's a freedom that poses no threat to the public."

I don't see this as a victory for the card carrying NRA gun nuts as much as I do regular honest people everywhere who've for far to long,
had their rights repressed, oppressed and sent out to the cleaners for more pressing!

www.azcentral.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It couldnt be a victory for the NRA. They make too much money off of their 'mandatory training' classes in state with a permitting system. Speaking as an NRA certified trainer of course.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Wow... maybe I'll relocate.

I find it funny how CA and AZ are so close in distance, yet so far policy wise.

If there's anywhere law abiding citizens should be able to carry, its Los Angeles IMO. A mile from Beverly Hills you'll get shot for driving down the wrong street. Most people know to be careful in certain areas, but after the LA Riots, I fear for people who dont have a gun. Anything can pop off at a moments notice. Earthquakes etc...

Ive always been a firm believer that if people carried, there would be less crime. Good for you Arizona! I hope it passes for you guys. I know it never will over here... (*sighs*)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I would love to see a bill like this pass here in Nevada. Especially with the provision to have the LEO hold on to the gun while conducting a traffic stop. I open carry, when the police stop me for something I always offer my weapon to them so as to not pose a threat I think this bill respects a fundamental right while protecting LEOs, and I will be sending a copy of the text of the bill to my state rep.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Kind of as an FYI
I have a CCW
and it's marked as such on my Drivers Lic.
so the moment an officer see's that he knows...

[edit on 25-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
In my opinion, all 50 states should have this law.

I don't read in my copy of the constitution where it says I need a permit to carry.

So I don't believe it's a necessary law to have to register in order to carry.
When the violence erupts, I am prepared regardless of what some law states.
Most of the normal, honest, hard-working people in America have enough common sense to tell officers of the law that they are carrying a gun.
Most. That's the way it should be, but I guess:

It always take one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

I never actually understood the entire "constitutionality" of this issue.
We are granted to right to bear arms. But, not publicly? Hmm...

With the increase in gang violence in suburbia, the anger in America...
It's coming to a head and I'm not going to sit back and be shot upon.
If someone thinks they are going to get beside my car and "carjack" me, they have a HUGE thing coming, to their face, in the form of a rifled barrel.

That's my right. To protect my life and property. Period.

Good thread!

*S&F*

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Maybe it has a lot to do with where you live... but I open and CCW...
only once did I ever have someone make a comment about my open carrying of a sidearm and that was by an older officer who walked up looked at my rig and said, "Colt Python...Nice..."
Of course we were then distracted by a lady in a short summer dress and kind of forgot all about sidearms...
It's all about priorities ya know

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This is on the docket for the judiciary committee today here in Ohio. There has been some serious confusion since CCW became legal here in 2004.

To amend sections 2923.121, 2923.128, and 2923.16 of the Revised Code to permit a concealed carry licensee to possess a firearm in liquor permit premises, or an open air arena, for which a D permit has been issued if the licensee is not consuming liquor or under the influence of alcohol or a drug of abuse and to modify the offense of improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle as it applies to concealed carry licensees.

www.legislature.state.oh.us...

The main point of clarity needed involves carrying in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio .

This is law for vehicle carry right now.
1.) In a holster secured on the person.

2.) In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

3.) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or center console, or in a case that is locked. A locked case does not need to be in plain sight (an unlocked case does).

life would be so much easier without the need for permits.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Probably not going to happen anywhere IMO. The last thing the government wants right now is angry Americans carrying weapons without their knowing it. I'm not planning on registering to get my CCP, but out of curiosity, why don't more people jst open carry anyway?

Speaking of firearms though, and this is a little off topic, but any opinions on the Smith and Wesson M&P vs. a Glock 23? I like them both and can't even really afford getting one, but I need to.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Mykahel]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am not much of a permit person, but I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing the person carying actually knew how to use it, and the safety measures that should be taken.

Perhaps requiring gun dealers to train the person they are selling to on how to use their weapon, clean it, and cary it safely would be a good idea.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

One problem with open carry is it paints you as a target...
Bad guy desperate for his drug money is going to rob XYZ store anyway but See's your sidearm and knows he has to take you out first...

Concealed he doesn't know he's about to make a huge mistake...

as to your other question
in the Law Enforcement Community the G22 G23 and now the G36 are being seen as problematic. See Forum here

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mykahel

I love my Glock. I have had it for 12 years now and it has never misfired. It is easy to cary, does not have a bad kick and though we have fired it often, there is no visable wear on it.

mine is a 9 though. I would go to a little gun shop and ask them. They would know better than anyone.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mrsdudara]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

15 minutes of a lecture in a shop over the counter isnt a good alternative.

What should be happening is people should stop being such paranoid hoplophobes and learn to shoot from friends and family then teach their children to shoot at a very young age.

If we hadnt been trying to shelter ourselves from guns for the past 30 years this whole "education" garbage would be an issue in the first place. When's that last time anybody had to take a class on proper use of a kitchen knife or a hammer or a chainsaw even? Though I did have to teach some urban jackass how to use an ax and wedge. No wood to chop in the concrete jungle.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It is, indeed, a heritage that's best taught through family and other trustworthy people.

It should also be common sense to make sure you can use it first, but I believe that if everyone had concealed weapons, there wouldn't be near as much personal victimization kinds of crimes.

I bet the crime rate of AZ is going the way of Switzerland already, but if this passes, count me and my whole family as new residents. I've only been putting off the inevitable physicality of moving to AZ for the last year or so, but if this passes, the ball will surely start rolling.

Arizona's people highly impress me...and the tamales are sinfully mouth-watering - besides just being a beautiful state west-enough of tornado alley.

Still...the main point: If we want safety we can live with (the Constitutional, non-liberty damaging kind), this is the way to do it.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Guess this isn't a bad place for my first post, since I've been lurking for a good year or so

I love this, and wish it would be passed everywhere. Common sense should tell you that if somebody wants to commit a crime involving a gun, they don't give a rats ash about whether or not it's legal to be carrying that gun...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by Mykahel

One problem with open carry is it paints you as a target...
Bad guy desperate for his drug money is going to rob XYZ store anyway but See's your sidearm and knows he has to take you out first...

Concealed he doesn't know he's about to make a huge mistake...

as to your other question
in the Law Enforcement Community the G22 G23 and now the G36 are being seen as problematic. See Forum here

A more likely scenario in my honest opinion. Said Thug enters said store to rob it, sees you armed turns around and goes to the next store. (Crime averted)

Criminals in general are looking for the soft target. the Open Carry of a firearm presents a hard target to the wearer and anyone in his immediate vicinity. The more people open carry the more hard targets this presents - if everyone open carried life would suck for criminals.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Which is exactly what happened here: Open carry deters robbery

The cops caught the would-be robbers sitting in the parking lot waiting for the carrying patrons to leave.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Just got my CCW in the mail yesterday.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara

I would go to a little gun shop and ask them. They would know better than anyone.

Gun store employees are the LAST people to ask about a new purchase, and there's no easy answer to this, if only because everyone has a favorite style of gun, and they will inevitably steer you towards it.

Gun ownership isn't a sprint, it's a marathon, and your preferred weapon will evolve over time.

A solution that works for many is to start with a 9mm Glock (17 or 19) and grow from there. But at a minimum, try to shoot one before you buy, and at an absolute minimum, make sure that the gun fits your hand - for example, SiG makes a fine pistol, but they are chunky and not suited to small hands.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Retseh]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join