It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*CELL PHONES* Touch Screen Conspiracy.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

Havn't heard of that feature, what phone model is it?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It's interesting you post this, because about a month ago I told my nephew and his parents when we were out for dinner that's probably what they're doing.........getting fingerprints. The little I-pod computer he has actually makes the fingerprint scanning a cool thing for kids. It goes through this little James Bond type fingerprint scan and kids just eat it up.

He's completely addicted to that thing and won't put it down. It was actually a little disturbing to watch.

My bro-in-law actually agreed with me, my sister had that blank look on her face like all the other mothers who sit at home all day watching the Lifetime Channel and other brain rot.

Peace

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Dr Love]

link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
iPhones have a FingerPrinter Identifier program you can download from the apps that allows you to lock and unlock your phone using your fingerprint
which proves the tech is availible

the tech to but a program like that hidden in a phone has been availbe for YEARS.

Techie here. Actually, hardware designer, so I'm about 10 levels above a 'techie'.

The iPhone apps you're talking about are jokes. Not in the sense that they're bad, but literally they're a joke. Like me having a "24" ringtone on my phone.

Touch screens do not have anywhere near the resolution needed to read a fingerprint. Why would they? It's not needed to execute the function of the phone. On top of which, fingerprint reading tech that I've designed with is qualitatively different from touch screen technology. A lot of it is straight video capture with a little CCD, some of them use capacitive swipe sensing, and a very few use a high res capacitive plate etched into a piece of silicon like a big chip die. But the touchscreen in your phone doesn't work that way.

Here's a clip from one of the more popular "iPhone fingerprint reader" ad copy:

"If you want to fool your friends and co-workers into thinking your iPhone is a sophisticated fingerprint scanner, this is the application for you. This application simulates the scanning of fingerprints, the verification of fingerprints against known good fingerprints, and granting of access to virtual resources.

You select the outcome of the scan by briefly touching the refresh control button. Click it once and all fingerprint scans are "access denied", click it again and all scans are "random"; approved or denied. This allows you to scan your fingerprint and get "access granted", then touch the control button as you hand the device to friends and family, then watch their reaction when they get "access denied" to their fingerprint scan. The Random mode is fun at parties and other social functions.

This fingerprint scanning application is for entertainment purposes only and does not actually provide fingerprint scanning capability to your iPhone or iPod Touch, although only you will know."

Besides which, if you're packing the phone around, they know where you are anyways.

link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

Again, more unsubstantiated claims by you! You tell me to do my own research on a topic YOU CLAIM IS POSSIBLE! The burden of proof is on you Gravity, no one else. That iPhone application is not a biometric scanner but uses the IMAGE of your finger. All somehow has to do to get around that application is take a picture of your finger and put it up to the screen. Your mention of this application as proof of your argument is proof to me that you have done absolutely no research on the topic. Probably why you can't provide any evidence of your claims.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think its possible, I just dont know how much money they would need the hardware

u should research that to see if its plausible or not

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Low res vesus high res. Most touchpads are of very low resolution, too low a resolution to double as a fingerprint scanner. Hell they can barely tell if you pressed 1 or 4. Also, the screen resolution has nothing to do with the resolution of the touch pad, they are two separate components. There are also patent issues. I know RIM filed for a patent to incorporate a fingerprint reader and the software to run that reader within a mobile hand held device some time ago, so their could very well be infringement issues if other manufacturers incorporate such tech unless under license, all of which would be publicly available information. So yeah, while plausible, its hardly a secret. And with the knowledge of the average technophile as well as open source OS like Android, its unlikely to be the secret the OP makes it out to be.

www.patents.com...

[edit on 25-3-2010 by m4nchur14n]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
the tech has been around forever.

the problem i have with this is:

whats the point of getting fingerprints, if you have to use your ssn, name, address, and everything already to even get the phone.

then add gps to it, so now it knows who you are and where you are at all times.

seems kinda of pointless to try and confirm its really you with your phone, when all this other stuff is already working....

my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

as i said, the fingerprint application does exist.

i'm sorry i dont know what model his iphone is, but it is thinner then past models i've seen

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

ahhhh well i want to check that, but my friend went home.

when he was showing me the application there where no faking, deny buttons or w/e. and it would only read my friends finger print, and when i tried it showed my fingerprint on the screen and said it wasn't a match so i dont know

maybe he was joking me around but i'll find out tomorrow untill then hrmm

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

no because if they dont know its actually you in possesion with the phone, andyou know they have the ability to track you down using your phone, someone smart enough woud use a switch switch
they wouldn't be using their own cell phone while they have theirs on some whild goosechase around the subways? catch my drift?

if they read that the suspect they are looking for just loged in with his fingerprint at this time and that location they are that much more sure its who they are looking for. They can be that much more sure they arn't being tricked and their wearabouts of their suspect are that much more accurate

they need to be a set ahead, they dont feel like going on wild goose chases. if phones dont have voice fingerprint req, a phone switch would be way to easy.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by sv_gravity 800]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
yeah i just reasearched all the apps, and your right none of them really "read your finger print" but one of the apps does indeed read your fingerprint because a exact copy of your finger is now on the screen. match em up

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I did not bother reading through this thread since the op was so silly. Nothing personal against you, op, but touchscreens and fingerprint scanners have nothing in common. A normal touchscreen registers one x and one y coordinate based on where you touch. Multitouch ones can register many of these coordinates.

Touchscreen technology has nothing to do with scanning.

So do not worry, touchscreen phones have no way of scanning your fingerprint without using a separate surface for that purpose.

[edit on 3/25/2010 by above]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Not to say that this isn't possible, but I find it a little hard to believe. I own a touchscreen laptop (HP Touchsmart), and when I first received it was surprised to learn that it had a fingerprint recognition option for security. However, the scanner IS NOT the actual touchscreen; it is a small strip of metal on the side of the screen. I doubt they would have incorporated that strip if scanning from the touchscreen was so easy.

Again I'm not saying it isn't possible , as some posters have brought up some interesting points.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
those last 2 comments are really good.

i've been under belief that touch screens have more capabilities then they really do

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
"Have you every touched a penny?"

"Yeah"

"Then we have your DNA and fingerprints!"

hehe

What I'm saying is TPTB proberly have it already.

PEACE!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
An interesting idea but I don‘t think its out there yet!

The Apps you see in the App Stores (Apple / Android) are toys, fake, jokes (as another poster posted)... I’m no expert but as my job is making iPhone Apps I speak with some knowledge :0)

Lets use the iPhone as the example - we have access to what the phone is doing - we can even scan what data it’s sending (anyone can with an appropriate sniffer), we have access to the official APIs and we can get to the unofficial APIs (shock!) - there is nothing, absolutely nothing in there for this tech.

Then lets look at the screens - they are not created to do this. They are not setup for optical recognition (CCD) or capacitive recognition....

As a concept then yes, it could be done but its not there yet.

I would be more worried about the Face Detection technology being rolled out across the web / PCs / Mac etc. where we are happily tagging pictures of people.... Makes for a very useful database.

[edit on 25/3/10 by AlwaysQuestion]

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
touch screens are not better than other facilities

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I personally don't use touchscreen anything... anything that can send data can theoretically grab a fingerprint image... use the stylus when you swipe your CC!

OP - I like the idea, and since its here on Skunk Works, I think that you right in bringing your speculative theory here. Its the point of skunk works.

SkepticOverload said that Skunk Works is "a dedicated place for ATS members to engage in speculative conspiracy theory discussions of all topics, angles, and targets."

so, this thread qualifies, and those who are trying to make this into a 'you suck cause you didn't bring a meticulously thought-out argument with you' just don't get it.

You did the right thing in the right place.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not all touch screens require a heat source. Meaning you can (and I have) use another object on a touch screen.

My current phone does require heat, that being said, they already have my finger prints on file long before I got a phone.

Raist

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Are you serious? How could such a fingerprint reading device be hidden in a phone? It would be found by every guy who want to watch for couple of reasons what is inside his phone. Hard and software backdoors are plausible. But you cannot hide something that reads your fingerprints...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join