It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology and Discussion of Hands.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A note to my readers: Alright, time to do this right. I attempted to make this thread an hour or two ago, but did it in the wrong way, and it led to a series of events, and the thread is now gone. It was hilarious, and I got a good laugh out of it, and thank you to those repliers who were honest about it. But now down to business:

Hands are quite the amazing critters. They are connected to our bodies, one attached to the end of each arm. They wiggle around and provide all kinds of beneficial functions for us, such as grasping objects, playing instruments, allowing us to use tools, and can also provide us with something for self defense or attack.

The gesturing of our hands can also tell us a lot of things. A limp wrist and hand could indicate homosexuality in males. A clenched fist could mean you are about to get punched in the face. Placing two hands together can be a symbol of prayer. Using your hands while verbalizing can add a lot of emotion to a story, while Sign Language can provide people, especially the mute and the deaf, the ability to communicate with other humans without verbalization. All over the world, hand gestures means all sorts of things, and can vary from region to region.

Our hands can also get us in trouble. Think of things like someone inappropriately touching someone else. There is also of course the use of hands for violence, like handling and pulling the trigger of a gun, or using the fist to inflict damage.

But, our hands can also provide us with all kinds of beneficial things. They can be used to give another a nice massage, and the shaking of hands is one way you can introduce yourself, say hi, say goodbye, or to show respect to someone. Lovers can hold hands to show their affection. There are also other hand activities you can partake with someone else in, such as high fives or fist bumping, along with games such as arm wrestling, pattycake, and trying to slap the top of another person's hands before they can move them away.

Our hands are very precious things, and come in all shapes and sizes. Males usually have bigger hands than females, but there are some exceptions, such as my own hands. I have somewhat feminine hands, but I grown to like them and use them to their full potential.

Edit: Okay, based on comments below, I feel I should add what made my first version of this thread so damn funny. I'm gonna talk about my own hands, and no matter if I sound egotistical, I'm gonna do it anyway.

Alright, so I have these amazing nimble little hands that I was blessed with from god. These bad boys have made my life a very interesting one, and affect my life every single day. I have always had small hands, and there have been comments here and there about them throughout my entire life. I used to hate them and wish I had bigger hands, but I now accept them and appreciate what they do for me.

First of all, since they are smaller, that just means more power packed into a smaller area. My handshakes are nice and firm, and my fingers are very intricate, and make the ladies go crazy when I give them deep kneading massages. It has also helped me make some really awesome artwork throughout the years.

I also have this interesting feature in which I have the girly hands plus some long ass arms. This has led to me dubbing them "Sniper rifles." With such a concentrated area and a long arm for gaining velocity, this leads to my punches being like an epic sniper bullet piercing through whatever gets in my way. Well, I haven't hit anyone before, but damn, that wall sure did get it. haha.

I'm not trying to boast here. I'm just saying I have very unique hands, and I just think hands in general are so fascinating. I want to hear your stories about your hands, and how they have affected your life. I would very much like to hear the experiences of other guys with small hands, and are there any girls out there with big hands? haha. Please share.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I also wanted to add that hands are also the central focus of Palmistry, which deals with the reading of palms, and how it tells us who we are, and what we will face during life. I find the field to be very interesting, and I just started looking into it today. It is actually what inspired me to make a thread about hands.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
To be honest I don't believe in the wrinkles of my hands telling me anything about the future because I make it or break it myself lol. But I do find palm reading fun to do either way (my mom tells me I will have 2 kids and a long life without any major diseases)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
You should read a short story by Clive Barker called "The Body Politic" in one of the "Books of Blood". It's about hands that rebel against their bodies.

As for things you can do with them, I've been told I've got "magic hands" by a number of women

[edit on 25-3-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinohunter

Palm reading is also a brilliant way to chat up the girlies. They're nearly all suckers for that type of thing and it gives you an excuse to get a little more intimate and hold their hand.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Hands can also be used to slap too!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I find the notion of the 'psychology of hands' a non-sequitur. It's like saying the 'sociology of leaves,' or the 'computer-science of fingernails.' I guess your post could be interesting if it was somehow expanded beyond a list of things that everyone knows about hands already.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo

As for things you can do with them, I've been told I've got "magic hands" by a number of women

My god, this so funny you bring this up!!! you should have seen the first version of this thread that got deleted. It involved me bragging nonstop about my hands, and one of the things I mentioned was how girls love my hands for the amazing massages they give!

The reason I deleted the first version of this thread was because the title was "the psychology of hands" and all I did in that thread was talk about why my hands were the best!! It led to some hilarious comments from people, which then led to me getting mad and throwing a temper tantrum and deleting my OP. sadly, now I don't have a copy of that thread. it was good stuff.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
when you sense being alive really because of your hands realisations then it is logical to expect the outcome, how your hands become more existing then yourself mind there and by that fact of existing truth impose itself on the whole ground existence as the only existing thing prooving it by moving first to kill everything else easily

you must understand how it is a serious affair existance freedom and realities life

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts
I guess your post could be interesting if it was somehow expanded beyond a list of things that everyone knows about hands already.

Best,
Skunknuts

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! i guess there will always be critics. damn, you should have seen my other version of this thread. It was much better as it included my thoughts on it and my experiences with my own hands. I deleted it after a negative comment about it. Damn. Okay, you know what, I'm gonna add some more to this OP which includes things from the deleted version of this thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dinohunter
Hands can also be used to slap too!

Yeah, I've been on that end of them too, a number of times!

Hey, you have to take the risks to get the prize!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Err, massages... yeah that right, that's what I'm doing with mine...

[edit to add]
I just re-read your OP with the extra bits on. I also have quite small hands and have come to quite appreciate it. I find it makes tham more nimble and accurate and you can get into all the nuks and crannies easier (no innuendo please).

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Just in case people are having trouble understanding what this thread is all about, it is about how much hands impact our day to day lives and how there is in fact an entire psychology behind our hands. Think about it. Losing a hand would have dire psychological effects. This thread is also to discuss and share interesting experiences that you have had with hands.

Ooh, also feel free to share any special skills that your hands have!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I find it makes tham more nimble and accurate and you can get into all the nuks and crannies (no innuendo please) easier.

YES! thank you for reminding me! My hands of mine have another special feature I like to call the inverted claw grab technique. This technique first showed itself to me when i had to reach an object stuck in a nook. So I tried grabbing it normally, but it didn't work. I then contorted my hand and arm backwards in a very weird way, and into a claw shape. I was then able to retrieve ironically enough, a claw like tool from its nooky prison!

Ever since then, this inverted claw grab technique has helped me out in many tight situations, and I crack up every time I get the opportunity to do it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Palm reading is also a brilliant way to chat up the girlies.

Genius! I will have to try that out!
Too bad I don't know how to palm read. Maybe I can just wing it. "Psychics" do it all the time.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have to hand it to you. This is hands down the most fascinating discussion... You have your hands full trying to draw attention to our under-appreciated appendages. Unlike some websites where the right hand has no clue what the left hand is up to, ATS can be counted on to not let trivial interests get out of hand. I know when you are trying your hand at something new it can be a challenge to get it right the first time. (I know what it's like to have my hands tied by post character limits...) I would encourage you to hand over the names of anyone participating in downsizing or editing your original thread. I'm sure we are all the lesser for it... They should keep their hands off our intellectual property. Thanks for working hand in glove with those in power to get your post to the people. On one hand I could go on for ever, but on the other hand, I have other appendages to consider. So, as the time is close at hand to move on, I'll leave this hand me down as a memento:

In agreement with Jimmy Kimmel's assessment of Sarah Palin: we'd all look smarter if we had bigger hands!

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by circumpunct

Circumpunct. That was genius.

Thank you for the support.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You should read a short story by Clive Barker called "The Body Politic" in one of the "Books of Blood". It's about hands that rebel against their bodies.

I remember that story and I found it hilarious at the end when I believe some of the organs decided that if the hands could attain their freedom then they could too so out pops the liver and heads off into the sunset vein in vein with the love of his life, the demure and graceful Kidney – Ok I made that last bit up but yes, a great read for sure.

As to the OP, Good thread but just one bone of contention, the limp wristed gay is inaccurate as some of the most powerful of handshakes have come from one particular gay friend I remember from the distant past and he was into Brazilian martial arts so that would explain it.

Star and flag for getting there in the end though

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeJaguar67
the limp wristed gay is inaccurate as some of the most powerful of handshakes have come from one particular gay friend I remember from the distant past

Ah, true. That is why I said "could indicate" instead of "it absolutely indicates".

But yes, thank you for your input, and thanks for supporting my thread from the very beginning stages!

top topics

join