It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of the Fight Against Cancer-Nano Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46010f002506.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08eacaa525ec.jpg[/atsimg]

Look close. You may be staring at the end of cancer. Those tiny black dots are nanobots delivering a lethal blow to a cancerous cell, effectively killing it. The first trial on humans have been a success, with no side-effects: It sneaks in, evades the immune system, delivers the siRNA, and the disassembled components exit out. Those are the words of Mark Davis, head of the research team that created the nanobot anti-cancer army at the California Institute of Technology. According to a study to be published in Nature, Davis' team has discovered a clean, safe way to deliver RNAi sequences to cancerous cells. RNAi (Ribonucleic acid interference) is a technique that attacks specific genes in malign cells, disabling functions inside and killing them.

The 70-nanometer attack bots—made with two polymers and a protein that attaches to the cancerous cell's surface—carry a piece of RNA called small-interfering RNA (siRNA), which deactivates the production of a protein, starving the malign cell to death. Once it has delivered its lethal blow, the nanoparticle breaks down into tiny pieces that get eliminated by the body in the urine. The most amazing thing is that you can send as many of these soldiers as you want, and they will keep attaching to the bad guys, killing them left, right, and center, and stopping tumors. According to Davis, "the more [they] put in, the more ends up where they are supposed to be, in tumour cells." While they will have to finish the trials to make sure that there are no side-effects whatsoever, the team is very happy with the successful results and it's excited about what's coming: What's so exciting is that virtually any gene can be targeted now. Every protein now is druggable. My hope is to make tumours melt away while maintaining a high quality of life for the patients. We're moving another step closer to being able to do that now.

Source: www.gizmodo.com

Every year I hear of great promises but nothing ever get's done.Let's hope this changes,and we could see this in the near future.I got my figures crossed.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by paradoxchild]

[edit on 25-3-2010 by paradoxchild]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, 10 years ago, they were messing with little nanobots just out of interest...now everyday there are more and more uses coming out. I still say we are another 20 years out minimum before the "nanoage" arrives, but looking forward to it.

If the claims hold true amongst the nanotech fans...what your looking at is more than just the cure for cancer...it is the fetus stage development for the end of mortality....roundabout.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Oh for sure,being in the Army myself I can't wait to see what they show me (new gear) There are so many useful things this technology could be implemented on to,I just can't wait to see, I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradoxchild
The 70-nanometer attack bots

As much as I like the idea of attack bots attacking my cancer, I have these sci-fi visions of some ways this technology could go bad.

The first and most obvious is if it gets into the wrong hands and the attack bots are made differently to kill normal cells instead of cancerous cells, for a terrorist attack like replacement for anthrax or whatever.

Or if we make attack bots that don't stop after they destroy a single cell, they could go on killing more and more cells, what if they malfunction and start destroying good cells along with the bad.

I'm not trying to be a fear monger, but just to be prudent we should build some safeguards into this kind of technology, or we may have a real life version of a sci-fi apocalypse on our hands, "nanobots attack humans" or something.

I'm sure the guy experimenting with African bees had good intentions but now we have killer bees replacing all the more docile honey bees in North America, so good intentions don't always lead to good results.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You definitely make a valid point,but--like you said,they would make some sort of backup plan into the technology where they can disable the nano-bots via wireless control or through a scanning machine like a CAT scan.This is all hypothetical of course.This is what I'm assuming they are testing now.The long term effects.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The nanobots will pave the road to immortality.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I made a post a while back about Nanotech here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are some safeguards that I found while researching.

"Nanotech will give us the ability to dominate the world from the molecular level. We will greatly increasing the power in human hands. We will be able to create more than we could ever have imagined, and be able to destroy more than we think. It is essential that we proceed down this path with caution. There have been many proposals put forth for protecting humanity.

Customization of systems- nano-based machines can be customized to a consistent input material for both construction and fuel. The idea being the nano-bots are fed a consistent substrate from which they construct material. Embedded within the substrate is also the energy source for the machines to run. This limits these machines performing their process only on the right input.

The substrate should also be a mixture/compound not found in the natural environment

Replication should require replication codes that are encrypted and time limited.

Replication should be separated from the functionality of end products. Manufacturing devices can create end products, but cannot replicate themselves. All end products will have no replication abilities.

A broadcast architecture including A ban on self-replicating machines that contain their own codes for self-replication. Such entities would have to obtain such code from a centralized secure server, which would guard against unwanted replication.

Evolution within the context of a self-replicating manufacturing system will be discouraged

Distribution of molecular manufacturing developmental capabilities should be restricted whenever possible, to responsible actors who agree upon these guidelines. "

There's actually a lot of thought that's already gone into this process of utilizing nanotech safely.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by walking_virus

Indeed they will my friend,indeed they will..oh this reminds me of an individual named Ray Kurzweil you've probably have heard of him,he's basically a futurist/inventor who believes that in the near future technology will advance so fast that we will eventually acquire immorality;and he's got an interesting book as well you should check it out. www.singularity.com...

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

join