It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favourite 'lost' tracks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This is a place for you to share those tracks that have been lost in time, perhaps overshadowed by other more popular songs on an album or released as a B-side. Maybe it was officially unreleased or a demo that was never finished.

Whatever the reason this is your chance to bring it out of exile and give it its moment in the spotlight

I'll kick off with...

"Let's All Make Believe", the second B-Side is considered by many to be one of the best Oasis B-sides. Some people believe the lyrics of this song to relate to the cracks that began forming in the group at the time (see below), for example: "So let's all make believe/that we're still friends and we like each other."

Due to the departure of guitarist Bonehead and bassist Guigsy in the early recording sessions for Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, the track features only Liam Gallagher (vocals), Noel Gallagher (rhythm guitar, bass guitar, lead guitar) and Alan White (drums).

The B-side "Let's All Make Believe" has recently been included in several lists as a 'hidden gem', such as Q magazine placing it at number one on its list of the '500 best lost tracks' and at number four on its list of songs to download for the month of January 2006. Q magazine said in the description "If Standing on the Shoulder of Giants had contained this track, it would have probably got another star." The song did feature on the Japanese release of the album.

So, please do share your personal favourites and a add a bit of information about the specific track if you can

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I absolutely love that tune! Definitely one of Oasis' best B-Sides, of which there plenty.

My lost tune is Love Starved Heart by Marvin Gaye.
The song was never actually released originally. It famously ended up on the cutting room floor after Motown Boss, Berry Gordy rejected the song at the height of the label's productivity. It was later discovered and included on box set, 'rare recordings' and northern-soul compilations.
For me its one of Marvin Gaye's best songs, and everything a motown record should be.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This song came out around the same time as Video Killed the Radio Star and, when I was a kid, I'd turn the radio on and catch the top ten at ten each night. This song, and that buggles classic flip flopped in the one and two spot for weeks. If I remember correctly, it was listening to this show that I first heard about the death of John Lennon.

Anyway, the song was a pretty big hit for the guy but the content was a bit much for family friendly airwaves. Boy loves girl, girl sleeps around, boy's friend claims to sleep with girl, girl reveals truth about friend. Listen to the lyrics and you'll find out why, at the peak of his fame with this song, he was asked to sing a different song on American Bandstand. Dick Clark, couldn't handle the truth about Tommy.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This song was a B-side of The Strokes song Reptilia and is called "Modern Girls & Old Fashion Men". Lead singer Julian Casablancas duets with Regina Spektor.

Next one....

An early demo version of the song (You Only Live Once), entitled "I'll Try Anything Once" is included as one of the B-sides on the "Heart in a Cage" single. It features only Nick Valensi playing keyboard while Julian Casablancas sings the lyrics softly, which are quite different from the album version of the song.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Beatles - Rain

Muse- Nishe

(awesome B-side, has a portishead feel to it)

The Verve - Back On My Feet Again

[edit on 6/4/10 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

[edit on 4/10/10 by enjoies05]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

This was from the Oasis tour DVD 'Lord Don't Slow Me Down' and is just a short clip of Noel rehearsing a song he was working on at the time. Which is why it is a low quality recording. It didn't end up on 'Dig Out Your Soul' and so remains unreleased and possibly unfinished.

Another 'work in progress' song from Noel, once again taken from a sound check performance pre-gig. Once again, this is all we have of this song as it is currently unreleased and possibly unfinished.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

no one can beat classics

live

well done for picking out some real classics. I think i might of just ruined it tho.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Sorry I don't have any videos to link up, I don't know how to do that yet.

Concrete Blonde- Everybody knows

Peter Gabriel- Here comes the flood

Elton John- High Flying Bird

Bruce Springsteen- Living Proof [ MTV Live Unplugged version ]

Tom Waits- Martha and San Diego Serenade

John Hiatt- Straight Outta time

I'll post more as I remember more.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

To link a YouTube video just add everything after the =

So this...

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPKkVrlDgQw"

Becomes this...

BPKkVrlDgQw

Click 'YouTube VIDEO' then enter the code after the '=' and you should be fine

Here's mine for today, an extended version of Arctic Monkeys 'Riot Van'

[edit on 05/08/2009 by LiveForever8]

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The only live recording we have of this unreleased track which shares its name with Oasis' compilation album released in 2006.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I can't think of any rare songs at the moment but I am certainly enjoying the ones posted.

thanks LiveForever8 for the heads up

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
There are 2 that come to mind right off.
The first one..really isn't lost, but it seems like it was never known by anything other than true fans of this band.
It's Yellow Ledbetter by Pearl Jam.
I will post the lyrics, since Eddie is apparently speaking some form of alien language mixed with Sylvester Stallone spoofed by South Park.

Unsealed, on a porch a letter sat
Then you said, "I wanna leave it again"
Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand
And on the sand I wanna leave her again

On a weekend I wanna wish it all away, yeah
And they called and I said that I'll go
And I said that I'll call out again
And the reason I ought ta leave her calm, I know
I said, "I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag"

Oh yeah, can you see them, out on the porch?
Yeah, but they don't wave
I see them 'round the front way, yeah
And I know, and I know I don't wanna stay

Make me cry

I see oh, I don't know why there's something else
I want to, wanna drum it all away
I said, "I don't, I don't know whether I was the boxer or the bag"

Oh yeah, can you see them, out the on porch?
Yeah, but they don't wave
I see them 'round the front way
And I know, and I know I don't want to stay at all
I don't want to stay
I don't want to stay
I don't want to stay
I don't, I don't want to stay

The lyrics apparently change from live performance to live performance but the meaning is retained. It's supposedly about a friend he lost in the first gulf war.

The other song that stands out even more, came from Terry Kath. Terry Kath was the original guitarist and a vocalist for Chicago. And it has been said that even Jimmy Hendrix has said Terry was the best guitarist he had ever heard.
The song is Tell Me. The only 2 places I have ever heard it, were from the movie Electra Glide in Blue, where it is on the soundtrack, but only the Vinyl version. It was also used as the ending song in the very last Miami Vice episode.

The song is amazing.
I am linking a video from youtube on this one where a guy uses the song to show off pictures he took, but it's the song you need to listen too. This is one of the best songs ever in my opinion.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by webpirate]

top topics

join