It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Moore Island completely gone..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hi all

I just found this articel, mother earth sure are in major changes these days, and a lot more still to come i think..

news.bbc.co.uk...

SatNam

[edit on 3/25/2010 by eriathwen]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Just looked it up on Google Earth. With an Image Date of 2002, its no where to be seen
, is this old news ??

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here is the equivalent Thread created in BAN:

Disputed Bay of Bengal island 'vanishes' say scientists

You might want to rethink whether this is climate related....

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

oh, you mean this ?

India extracts Bay of Bengal gas

Interesting......

Hmm 16 years to go and India too will possibly flooded with water.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Old news yes

South Talpatti Island as it was known in Bangladesh or New Moore Island or Purbasha as it was known in India was a small uninhabited offshore island that emerged in the Bay of Bengal in the aftermath of the Bhola cyclone in 1970 and disappeared at some later point.

Its sovereignty was disputed between Bangladesh and India for years until the island became submerged. There had never been any permanent settlement or stations located on the island.

link

Seems they only just got satelite comfirmation of something they already knew

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
so if this island was 6 feet above sea level at its highest, does this mean the sea level worldwide has gone up 6 feet? or did the island sink somehow.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

see the link in my above post, explains a bit.

They can rename it now to " No Moore Island "

[edit on 25/3/2010 by scubagravy]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Hi

No it is presented as fresh news in norway, and the article from BBC is from yesterday, I've tried to searce around a bit now, and I can see that there are a few blogs about this as well.
But the Island seems to have vanished recently.

www.google.com...

I can see that its been posted similar stories before, I searced for New Moore Island, and could not find any reasent hits.

SatNam

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Maybe we are witnessing some kind of "LOST" scenario, where also an island dissappears^^... just kidding.

But even if it would be submerged, the coastline still must be visible, this thing cant "sink" into the ocean, unless there was some seismic/volcanic event.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The sealevel is riseing thats why the Island is gone, It hasnt sunken..
And the news is,..that It is now comletely vanished

SatNam

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Actually no, but here's an article from 2008 that some may find relevant... in an amusing sort of way....

... Several articles have been published recently on sea level rise that caught our eye at World Climate Report. The first appeared recently in Global and Planetary Change and was written by a pair of scientists with India’s National Institute of Oceanography. Unnikrishnan and Shankar begin their article noting “Apart from changes in the atmospheric variables, global sea-level rise is one of the good indicators of climate change. Increase in global atmospheric temperature has a direct effect on the ocean by causing a rise in ocean temperature and melting of glaciers. Both these processes lead to a rise in global sea level.” Furthermore, they state “The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reported values between 1–2 mm yr−1 for the 20th century sea-level rise based on tide-gauge data.

Unnikrishnan and Shankar collected tide gauge data for a variety of stations located at coastal locations around the Indian Ocean (see Figure 1). They conducted a series of tests for inter-station consistency and they also adjusted the sea level measurements for vertical land movements. At the end of the day, they found that the corrected sea level rise in the region over the past five decades was indeed between 1–2 mm yr−1. However, some of the trends were suspect, so they reduced the number of stations for conducting the analyses. They state “In conclusion, therefore, we use the estimated trends for Aden, Karachi, Mumbai, and Kochi in the Arabian Sea and for Vishakhapatnam in the Bay of Bengal. The sea-level rise estimated from these stations is between 1.06– 1.75 mm yr−1, with an average of 1.29 mm yr−1. Given the problems noted above with some of the records, the average estimate for the basin is likely to be towards the lower end of this range.” When compared to global records, they write “The present study indicates that the estimates for the north Indian Ocean are consistent with global estimates, though somewhat lower.” Imagine that — once someone collects data in their part of the world, they seem to conclude that sea level is rising at a rate slower than the rate reported by the IPCC......

Ultimately, if you want to believe the ocean is swallowing up islands, be my guest... my point is if it were really that simplistic, Al Gore could understand it.

At a rate of 2mm per year since - for arguments sake 2003 - one would expect that island to be there, but the geological truth may be that nothing is permanent about the relative position of a pile of dirt and rocks in an ocean.

As a matter of fact, the claimant of the 'vanishing' island (I find it disappointing that the media uses the word "vanish" which appears to me intended to evoke a sense of 'surprise' and 'suddenness') is one of the authors of a series of papers....;

1. Ghosh, T., Hazra, S., Sen, G. and Mukherjee, A.D. 2001. Erosion-Accretion Process in Sagar Island, Bay of Bengal in Response to Relative Sea Level Rise. Communicated to AMBIO, Sweden
  2. Baksi, A., Hazra, S., Sen, G.K. and Mukhopadhyay, A.D. 2001. Estimation of relative sea level rise from tide gauge data of Sagar island of Bay of Bengal. Communicated to AMBIO, Sweden
  3. Baksi, A., and Hazra, S., (2001). Environmental Refugees from Vanishing Islands, Conference Presentation under publication
  4. Hazra. S, (with Banerjee, S.) (2000). Outline of an Integrated Exploration Strategy for oil and gas and allied non-conventional energy resources of West Bengal. Proceedings of the VIIth West Bengal State Science & Technology Congress, Calcutta, March 2000
  5. Mukherjee A , Hazra S. 1997: Changing paradigm of petroleum exploration in Bengal Basin. Indian Journal of Geology

... which leads me to think that he is aware of the erosion and accretion situation as well as the drilling and pumping in the area. Instead of confessing these may be factors in the disappearance of the island, he proclaims that "global warming" must have raised the ocean level by six feet in his vicinity.

I don't know... maybe I am just too ignorant to understand the 'science' and should just accept that every time a cow farts in India, the ocean creeps up the shore line a bit higher.

new topics

top topics

join