It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transhumanism: Truth or science fiction?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Hey everyone,
Just got my 20 posts out of the way and finally can make my first official thread.
So I watched an interesting documentary a while back and kept thinking that when I had the chance I would post it up for you all to see. Its pretty long, but i highly recommend that you watch it. It's very interesting and has some good info.
Anyway, here it is. Hope you enjoy.

Google Video Link

It seems like science fiction, but the more time goes on, the more real this is seeming to become.
Here's an example: news.bbc.co.uk...
Basically the article is about a computer that is built to be controlled through thoughts alone. This could be used by people with paralysis to control robotic limbs, or communicate through a computer.
While this kind of technology is still in it's early stages, the government supposedly is something like 15 years more advanced than the technology that we currently use. Plus the speed that things are advancing and changing in this world, I can see how transhumanism can become a reality.
www.independent.co.uk...
Here's another article that talks about brain enhancing drugs. They are already being used today, so who knows? I'm sure if people begin using brain enhancing drugs, why wouldn't they implant a chip that could permenantly upgrade their minds?
Like it says in the video, this seems like an inevitable step for humans to take. It's like nuclear weapons, once one country obtains this kind of technology, the other have to follow or they will fall far, far behind.
I for one, am against this. Yes it has some good sides to it, but I believe that the negative parts to this "upgrade" are not worth this step.
And besides, who says that you and I will have access to these kinds of things? I'm guessing that if transhumanism does arise, it will be the top 1% of the worlds population that will be receiving the upgrades and leaving the rest to become like the animals so to speak.
I could go on and on about this, but I'm sure you'll learn about most of it through the video.
So ya.. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this.
Also, if youve got any good links relating to this subject I'd love to read some more about. Maybe some articles or even books that you may know of would be appreciated.
And who knows? Maybe we're all already in a matrix, and we don't even know it. our thoughts do send out signals. Maybe theyre going to the hive mind?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Sorry bud, don't have time to add some meaningful input but I flagged so I must at least make some effort to reply.

Very interesting, I hope this gets the attention it deserves.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Thank you for the video, interesting topic, congrats on your first thread.

I find this technology very impressive, and the implications of it are far beyond of what we can imagine, it will indeed transform the very nature of human beings and will give rise to a new era of productivity, creativity, efficiency and total control. Singularity will be reached, there is no turning back, it's only a question of when, the probability of it happening within the next 20 years is tremendously high in my opinion. I do not fear this progression, in order to secure the long term survival of the human race, among others the capability to control our evolutionary process and to widen our senses, humans have to cross borders, open doors that have never been opened before, walk on land where no one has stepped before. But this will only work if there is a higher purpose or meaning we all share and work towards. It means redefining our selves and how we perceive, it means a one world government, acting as one for a greater purpose, being a collective, just like a bee-hive. But if this "greater purpose" is driven by an evil force, one that only seeks the benefit of control and manipulation, then we are doomed and slaves of a new relentless system. Lets hope we step into a new era that will flourish in many ways, increase awareness and making the yet unthinkable reality.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
way into the video, @ 48:30... there's author Cathy O'brien ~'Trance Formation'~ speaking to listeners...

and she acts & appears as if Still in a controlled trance or still under Robotic Mind Control... just what the book is about.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Yes, the use of this kind of technology could increase the chances of longer human existence, but would you really want transhumanism to arise?
Im all for expanding our consciousness and mental abilities, but there is no way I would connect a chip to my brain knowing that the government can monitor my every thought and action.
And dont you think that this kind of upgrade for humans would cost money? I doubt the rich are going to pay for you or me to get upgraded. Its not like they care about us. The more likely scenario is that the elite will take this technology for themselves and create a whole new class of humans. Well, i guess they wouldn't be human after the change. more like cyborg. I wonder if this "evolution" will make people realize that we don't need to kill each other and instead promote peace and love... or it could just give us more reason to kill each other.. Hopefully it will be the first one..
I just don't see this going in a good direction. There are too many people who would want this for an evil use. I think the people with the power would just use it to have complete control. I doubt they would willingly give up their power to help people who are less fortunate than they are. To them it is "survival of the fittest" and I doubt anything will change that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bulletproof_monk

Yes, the use of this kind of technology could increase the chances of longer human existence, but would you really want transhumanism to arise? Im all for expanding our consciousness and mental abilities, but there is no way I would connect a chip to my brain knowing that the government can monitor my every thought and action.

Yes, I can see your concern, the breach in privacy and the loss of independence, maybe resulting in the loss of free speech and freedom, the incapability to act or decide for oneself, constant manipulation and so on, doesn't sound too good, now does it? But there are always two sides to a coin, equally it could be used to raise the vibrational state of human beings, to spread love and tolerance, to preserve and protect nature and to encourage the want to act together for a greater cause. There is a thin line between good and evil when it comes to transhumanism, but I would regret it not to take this step.

And dont you think that this kind of upgrade for humans would cost money? I doubt the rich are going to pay for you or me to get upgraded. Its not like they care about us. The more likely scenario is that the elite will take this technology for themselves and create a whole new class of humans. Well, i guess they wouldn't be human after the change. more like cyborg. I wonder if this "evolution" will make people realize that we don't need to kill each other and instead promote peace and love... or it could just give us more reason to kill each other.. Hopefully it will be the first one..

It depends really on the intention of the so called "elite", but I believe it would eradicate class systems, anybody would have the opportunity to take part in the artificial collective, it would be encouraged to do so, only in this case there would be true progression and growth, I think the elite is aware of that and also work towards that goal. You see it's not very efficient and productive if everybody except of an minority gets dumbed down and act as mindless slaves.

I just don't see this going in a good direction. There are too many people who would want this for an evil use. I think the people with the power would just use it to have complete control. I doubt they would willingly give up their power to help people who are less fortunate than they are. To them it is "survival of the fittest" and I doubt anything will change that.

Too bad I'm not evil enough the grasp the elite's wicked intentions, one can just sit and wait what they, if at all, have in store for us.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I've actually just gotten into transhumanism and just recently finished reading Kurzweil's The Singularity is Near. It's certainly an interesting concept, but I'm not as optimistic as Kurzweil. It really depends on the nature of the brain as to whether we can reach the Singularity. While we'll certainly have the technology, it just may be impossible to fully replicate what the brain can do with machines.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
transhumanism is pretty cool, i'm really excited, especially with the speed at which it is emerging, you already have rats with artificial hippo-campus's (a memory chip for their memories)

Biomedical engineer Theodore Berger at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles has developed an artificial hippocampus: a silicon substitute for the part of the brain that scientists believe encodes experiences as long-term memories.

then you have the implantation of deep brain electrodes to treat depression

Deep-brain stimulation, an electrical treatment increasingly common for degenerative nerve disorders such as Parkinson's disease, has now shown promise in treating severe depression.

*snip*

To determine whether reducing activity in this area could have a positive effect on depression, Mayberg's team implanted a thin wire into the subgenual cingulate of six depressed people. The wire delivers steady electrical stimulation that jams brain signals that would normally emerge from this region, says Mayberg.

Six months after the operation, four of the patients reported lasting relief from their depression, Mayberg's team reports in the March 3 Neuron.

then you have all the exo-skeletal and miniature HUD/communication work being done by the military. even the way mobile phones have become more like personal information points. it's all pretty cool stuff.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
yeah theres def technology out there that is showing the beginnings of transhumanism. Who knows how much more advanced these kind of things will be in the next five years?
Xcalibur, that book sounds interesting. Think ill look into it when i have the time. And i dont think its a question of making computers do what the brain can, although that is another major goal. The main goal i believe, is to be able to integrate computer chips into the brain to enhance the brains performance.
Pieman, thanks for the extra research. It seems that this kind of technology is advancing fairly quickly.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
Thank you for the video, interesting topic, congrats on your first thread.

I find this technology very impressive, and the implications of it are far beyond of what we can imagine, it will indeed transform the very nature of human beings and will give rise to a new era of productivity, creativity, efficiency and total control. Singularity will be reached, there is no turning back, it's only a question of when, the probability of it happening within the next 20 years is tremendously high in my opinion. I do not fear this progression, in order to secure the long term survival of the human race, among others the capability to control our evolutionary process and to widen our senses, humans have to cross borders, open doors that have never been opened before, walk on land where no one has stepped before. But this will only work if there is a higher purpose or meaning we all share and work towards. It means redefining our selves and how we perceive, it means a one world government, acting as one for a greater purpose, being a collective, just like a bee-hive. But if this "greater purpose" is driven by an evil force, one that only seeks the benefit of control and manipulation, then we are doomed and slaves of a new relentless system. Lets hope we step into a new era that will flourish in many ways, increase awareness and making the yet unthinkable reality.

There are a few problems with transhumanism. First although a singularity is quite enivatible it will most assuredly come at the price of creativity. It is our individual yet collective ability to experience that allows knowledge of self. When that balance shifts to what we percieve to be implanting necessary knowledge. Our benefit of experience is taken and life is no longer really lived.

Were we meant to travel the stars, conquer time and space? Yes I believe so but an artificial one mind either controlled by government or in the make of the Borg would be disasterous.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I would approve of transhumanism if it could be applied to the entire population without force, any other way is criminal in my mind.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Cool topic!

Originally posted by hippomchippo
I would approve of transhumanism if it could be applied to the entire population without force, any other way is criminal in my mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

For example, I was thinking that if I was a quadriplegic and getting an implant would help me control a robotic body, I would personally consider that as sufficient reason to get the implant and why would that be criminal?

Conversely since I now have a healthy body, I absolutely don't want any chip implant.

So what would be wrong with the people that want them, getting them (like say, quadriplegic) and other people not getting them, like me? I don't see a problem with that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Conversely since I now have a healthy body, I absolutely don't want any chip implant.

just a thought, but isn't considering yourself "healthy" a fairly relative thing.

you're healthy compared to sick people but if no-one ever caught so much as a sniffle, got cancer or had even the slightest twinge of pain because they had an army of nanobots looking after their well being, wouldn't our present state of being seem fairly unhealthy?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Cool topic!

Originally posted by hippomchippo

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

For example, I was thinking that if I was a quadriplegic and getting an implant would help me control a robotic body, I would personally consider that as sufficient reason to get the implant and why would that be criminal?

So what would be wrong with the people that want them, getting them (like say, quadriplegic) and other people not getting them, like me? I don't see a problem with that.

I think we have a different idea of transhumanism, I think of transhumanism as a mind being uploaded onto a computer, not a robotic body, robotic limb replacements I am completely fine with.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Well, in the case of being linked to a computer and living in a matrix, I'm sure that the people who will be willing to do that will never come back to reality. It's lke the people you hear about the get addicted to second life. They spend almost every moment of their days playing the game, because they can make a life that seems better than their reality. So, taking this to the next level, what if they made a game like second life, but it was virtual reality? It would be like the movie the matrix. It's pretty much real. When youre in the game you can't even tell the game from reality. If you can have a better life where you can be anyone you want to be and have pleasures at any time you please, then I can see why people would be tempted by that. So my point is that if people do decide to take that path, the one's who decide to stay in reality will never see the others again. It will create a split in humanity, and I suppose most people will choose pleasure and everlasting happiness over our reality.
In the case that we are talking about chip implants, it's still basically the same argument. Let's say some people don't want to get the implants. Well, the people that do get them will have brain enhancements and an expanded consciousness. The chip is basically artificial evolution. So that too, would create a split in humanity. The "cyborgs" will be much more advanced than the people who choose not to get the implants. The humans would basically become like the monkeys are to us. The cyborgs would have much more complicated thought processes and the humans would seem simple minded to them. I just don't see a way where everyone wins in this situation. Either way, there are going to be people who become isolated.
I cannot give you a solution that solves this problem, but I can say that I will be in the minority of people who won't want this kind of thing.
Don't get me wrong, I would love to expand my consciousness and take a look at the world from a new perspective, but there are many downsides iin doing so

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I always thought since i was little that Humans are destine to shed these fragile bodies and take up the machine. Its seems to be heading in that direction mor and more.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
TRANSHUMANISM IS REALLY HAPPENING!

Know More:
Google: TransHumanism Explained Vip
or Visit Profile

new topics

top topics

join