It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness and Demons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Could mental illness be caused by demons like this guy here speculates?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrinsic

This line of thought is archaic, and derives from practice of backwards type thinking during the World's Medieval period.

Disturbed people, due to over-excited action in the mind/brain, often go through body spasms, and convulsions.

During the establishment of the Powers of the Church, they were thought to be possesed, and a ritualistic approach was decided upon.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intrinsic

What is "mental illness"? What is a "demon"?
These terms are highly culturally specific, but have become associated with the mass hysteria and copy-cat behavior of fundamentalist Christians.
I think it is certainly possible to become possessed or obsessed by a lower level (evil) entity. However, they rarely bother with the mentally ill.
In my interpretation George W. Bush's idiotic smirk was a sign of mind-control, or a type of possession.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Having been through a bout of depression here these last few years. I'd have to say yes. I'd get mental pictures flashing through my mind, thoughts that I knew werent my own. Unable to shut my mind off so I could sleep. It literally felt as though someone else was in control and I was a spectator.

Until you experience first hand, I can understand the skepticism.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
There is an obvious correlation between mental illness and that which is called "lower-astral realms and entities" in esoteric vocabulary. Tread carefully.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

From a Psi-research position (ie. studied cases) possessions usually center around adolescent girls. It comes suddenly and inexplicably and begins with poltergeist phenonemon, later the girls themselves utter different voices (see the Ensfield case).

That having been said, I would also treat self-styled "demonologists" with extreme caution. Usually they will elicit a "satisfactory" response from the victim that slightly correlates with possession. They have been known to abuse people to get what they want.
This type of possession with haunting phenonemon is for me totally inexplicable to the victim. Personally I think it has to do with a past life and karmic retribution that fades.

Now spirit obsession is another matter. This negativity centres around depression and even physical dirt. It can result from social contamination, and mixing with very negative people can change a happy person into a suicidal recluse within weeks.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Well I come from a tradition where there is such a thing as possesion by a low spirit. These spirits arfe numerous and are frequently the transformed dead. Far too many seemto have the Exorcist as their model when it is often a more mundane situation. Some of these dark spirits lead people to all number of problems and can certainly exacerbate those whohavea prediliction to depression , substance abuse unhealthy relationships etc.

The big exorcist type deliverances are the far end of the spectrum and rahter rare. but there are other systems of magic and religion that have different techniques. One does not have to be a Xtian to perform exorcisms in fact not all demons recognise such practices, This big issue aboutthe names of demons are another western invention.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

i'll probably be in the minority on ATS, but I think mental illness is the cause of most "demons". that and flat out hoaxes

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

I've been living with mental illness for 20 years and I wish it was a demonic possession because at least then there would be hope of recovery; especially as I'm a Christian.

Sometimes the strain of a rough life is all it takes to destroy a person. Man is far more cruel and sadistic than any demon; that is his nature.

Rev

new topics

top topics

join