It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian 'Nuke' Bombers Invade British Airspace

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalytic

Holy poop! - Imagine doing 70mph down the M1 and that thing jumping out of the road in front of you! I wonder if they actually adopted that system? I will go looking around later, man the places they could hide those... I suppose you'd need underground access for maintenance.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53

What would happen if we did that to them?

In all honesty, it would be shot down.

As that civilian airliner was also shot down. Given that the civilian airliner was flying directly into highly restricted air space it left russia with no other alternative but to shoot it down. Keep in mind repeated attempts via radio and visual methods were used but sadly the mission that they were sent upon was a complete failure not to mention the loss of civilian lives.

The difference with this story and the Boeing is that this was airspace and not air space designated as a military installation. If you take a look at russian military installations there mostly scattered along the coast line as their first line of defense, so having an airliner cross its airspace over land or on a flight path towards a military installation then its a sure thing you would have several migs trailing blazing you. Most installation avoid engaging the active radar as they would give pin point location and the frequency they are using. In any case the static installations are pretty much known, its the mobile one's that scare the sheet out of everyone.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just something to ponder.. Do you really think in this day and age Russia would use a Bomber to Nuke anything? Not saying its not capable, just seems like an odd way to perform a first strike IMHO

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Good. I hope this helps disitigrate globalization* Makes us all realize why we need to take care of our own countrys first, and ar eason to protect and fight for the right reasons, instead of corporate americas evil ways.

Russia probes your airspace and this is Americas evil ways fault.
Man spin spin spin.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
here's the uk supersonic bomber F-111. How do i add video from you tube please someone help

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mandob453]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Example:

In the youtube url you will see this :

www.youtube.com...

You only need to copy this part:

HPvzTkJwvOc

Then click the Youtube button and paste that into it. Thats all.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by tristar]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I think this is Russia reminding the world that they arent scared, to be fair though, that bomber wouldn't of even managed to open the bomb door before we shot it down.

Does it take just over 4 hours for the bomb doors to open?

How can you say that? If they wanted to drop something, they would have. Your statement is false.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Did any military official actually state that the bombers were INSIDE British airspace? The article states:

"The Ministry of Defence stressed that there was no indication that the planes intended to enter British airspace."

If they weren't in Brish airspace (internationally recognized 12 nautical miles off the coastline), then what is the commotion? And why does the news source shout "invades British airspace"? This is media sensationalism, nothing more, again.

It is about time people stopped paying so much attention and getting all worked up over these training missions. Although it is humorous to read all the "We should have shot them down" comments. Guess what - if you shoot the Russian bomber down and it turns out that it was actually in international airspace - then you will have to face one hell of a diplomatic and political sh*tstorm.

And guess what? If the Tu-160 was to bomb a British target in reality (absurd as it is), it wouldn't need to be anywhere near British airspace. It fires cruise missiles (Kh-55) with a range over 2,500km.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by maloy]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Thank you for the help like i said here is the UKs tiny supersonic bomber

[edit on 25-3-2010 by mandob453]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ahhhhh.

The old cat and mouse cold war game.
I guess I'm starting to show my age but...

I'm kind of glad to see the Russians out and about again. They have been flexing their muscle the last year or two. Subs out in the open sea patrolling again their bombers testing the west. This was the UK but they pull this stuff on Canada and the US routinly now.

Good for them.

Off-Topic

The thing about this that I respect is that although their "Empire" collapsed they didnt go anywhere. I think all the Gloom and Doomers here at ATS who see the US collapsing soon need to take note of that. They seem to forget that the US really has no conquered territory to lose. We are pulling out of Iraq this year and will Afganistan next. Japan and Germany have our bases but we don't really interfere with their endogenous politics.

Super powers with nukes will not go the way of the doto.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandob453
Thank you for the help like i said here is the UKs tiny supersonic bomber

err no we have never (so far as I know) used the F111's - the Ozzies did and still do I think, they fitted right in with their needs, we didn't.

Your not mixing it up with the Panavia Tornado at all? That's a small swing wing fighter bomber (better at bombing) with a swing wing and a similar profile/silhouette...

So far as I know us brits didn't have the F111's for our own air force, brit pilots may of got to fly em tho for other airforces.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mandob453

The UK does not have, and never has had, had F-111's in its inventory.

They were considered at one point, but never purchased.

We decided to build the Tornado GR4 instead.

[edit on 25/3/10 by neformore]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Just something to ponder.. Do you really think in this day and age Russia would use a Bomber to Nuke anything? Not saying its not capable, just seems like an odd way to perform a first strike IMHO

Good question i think, would russia risk the chance of a bomber getting shot down? Surely any nuclear attack will come from a submarine maybe.

As for the guy who posted about the F-111s .. the RAF never had F-111s

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
And guess what? If the Tu-160 was to bomb a British target in reality (absurd as it is), it wouldn't need to be anywhere near British airspace. It fires cruise missiles (Kh-55) with a range over 2,500km.

Indeed. This is quite an interesting system. According to wikipedia range for nuclear version of cruise missiles is 3000 km, so Tu-160 could fire them flying over Red Square in Moscow and still target any place in UK.

Two planes can launch 24 cruise missiles. Each is a tiny (6 m length, 0.5m diameter) plane flying at speed about 800 kph at height less than 100m, following terrain. They don't have to fly directly to target, path can be built to minimize detection chances. They are indeed not invincible but very hard to detect and destroy.

If it was a real attack launch would happen hundreds of miles away from UK and most likely hit most of 24 targets. I don't quite see what RAF could do in this case.

Maximum flight range without refuelling is 12300 km, weapon range 3000 km. It means Tu-160 can fly over Canada to US border, perform launch targeting any spot in continental US and return to Russia. Would it be able to stay undetected is an interesting question. In case of global war parts of radar system could be disabled by that time.

It much less powerful and flexible than submarine but it also so much cheaper both in production and support. So, its not a replacement but a nice addition.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Russia just trying to make noise as usual.
Russia always aligns itself next to america in there news then in the same news broadcast it critisise america and only america on alot of things then they have the this so called russian military expert again to critisise america /nato on how they are fighting the war on afghanistan.
To me they love making noise mabe they feel left out ?

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Russia has always pushed the limits of intrusion. All these are older posts but worth reading if you have the chance.

U.S. General Warns Against Russian Bombers in Cuba

2008 news article

Russia's Izvestia newspaper this week quoted a "highly placed source" as saying Russia could land Tu-160 supersonic bombers nicknamed "White Swans" in Cuba as a response to a planned U.S. missile defense shield in Europe, which Moscow opposes

link below
www.reuters.com...

U.S. Navy Intercepts russian Bombers Flying Near Ships

2008 News article

Calling on Russian pilots to resume "combat duty," Russian President Vladimir Putin announced Aug. 17 that his country's strategic nuclear bombers would resume their Cold War-era practice of conducting long-range patrols "on a permanent basis." He told reporters that "our pilots have spent too long on the ground. I know that they are happy to now have this chance to begin a new life and we wish them luck." Although the main function of these aircraft is to conduct nuclear missile strikes against the continental United States, Putin said he hoped that other countries would show "understanding" for the Russian decision

Links Below
www.foxnews.com...
www.foxnews.com...

Russian Bombers Rehearse Nuclear Attacks Against United States

Link Below
www.worldpoliticsreview.com...

I thought these to be pretty pertinent on the subject. Russian has been pushing the limits pretty hard in the recent past.

Sorry if the message is jumbled I'm still trying to get a hang of this site.

I'm a newb!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
RAF have released these pic's of Tornado Fighters intercepting a individual bomber offshore near Stornoway (Scotland.)

www.stv.tv...-title

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join