It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian 'Nuke' Bombers Invade British Airspace

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Russian 'Nuke' Bombers Invade British Airspace

news.sky.com

Russian NUKE Bombers in UK Airspace!
(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: title - to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Russian NUKE Bombers in UK Airspace for 4 hours!
The RAF says this has happened over 20 times since 2009!

What would happen if we did that to them?

Did anybody with a AIRNAV Radarbox / SBS pick this up or any comms reported from Amateurs / Radio hobbyists?

Do we have any long range heavy bombers similar to the Ruskies? The Vulcan was retired ages ago.

Would our News channels report on our planes invading their airspace or are they told to keep it quiet?

Seems a bit odd to me, what were the Tornado Pilots thinking when they told them to sod off and they were ignored for 4 hours?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think this is Russia reminding the world that they arent scared, to be fair though, that bomber wouldn't of even managed to open the bomb door before we shot it down.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I don't think its anything to worry about to be honest. Its a reglar occurence and keeps our Forces on its toes. I am sure we do the same to as regularly!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I think this is Russia reminding the world that they arent scared, to be fair though, that bomber wouldn't of even managed to open the bomb door before we shot it down.

Are we certain of that though?

How would we know the difference between a Russian bomber who wishes to toy with us and a Russian bomber with ill intent?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I doubt if it had ill intent it would be flying around just north of northern Island, if it were to drop a nuke it's target would be London.

It would of been interesting to see what Russias response would of been if we did shoot it down.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I can't imagine for a millisecond that any aircraft, regardless of it's origin or purpose, can get within miles of British airspace without being detected and communicated to.

If not then... well?... Somat aint rite!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
perhaps more a message that you don't need to be scared of russia...

& if the vulcan was retired, how do we know the aircarft isn't privately owned?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Stuff like this has been happening since back when I was a kid, not really a big deal. It happens under the water with the subs all the time too, attack subs chasing boomers, etc. They get the most upset when someone penetrates the protection zone around one of the carrier groups however.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by logicalview
I can't imagine for a millisecond that any aircraft, regardless of it's origin or purpose, can get within miles of British airspace without being detected and communicated to.

No that is what they are checking. Their whole point an purpose in flying missions is to practice penetrating other countries airspace undetected, and to probe their airspace for weaknesses. Why do you think that bombers practice low level flying, and why do you think that they make stealth bombers, after all.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

No that is what they are checking. Their whole point an purpose in flying missions is to practice penetrating other countries airspace undetected, and to probe their airspace for weaknesses. Why do you think that bombers practice low level flying, and why do you think that they make stealth bombers, after all.

Fair enough comment. I'm not well read on the limitations of radar systems, i just thought that perhaps modern techniques may have overcome that?

[edit on 25/3/10 by logicalview]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

How would russia react if we sent over a couple of bombers over russian airspace? I think all guns would be blazing

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

They are still going to push the envelope on how far they can get into each other countries as that’s the only real way to test how effective their top secret toys are compared to other peoples top secret toys.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by minkey53
Do we have any long range heavy bombers similar to the Ruskies? The Vulcan was retired ages ago.

No we don't... Our only bombers are the fighter bombers (Tornado and now the Typhoon) - We actually don't have any need really, our nuke deterrent is 100% submarine based with ICBM's.

I think there was an option once to launch an ICBM from a Nimrod, not any more... Don't forget that we are good buddies with the US and they have dotted missile silo's in the UK and Europe and we also have a variety of American aircraft stationed both in the UK and Europe - who know's maybe a B-2?

Any way this is a pretty regular thing - Those Blackjacks are quite some aircraft, they can loiter and sprint, they are jam packed with electrical gear to jam, confuse and feel out the enemy, they can hang around a target all day just feeling out for a vulnerability and then they can punch in at supersonic speed and drop the bucket of sunshine.

One or 2 of those things is no problem for the RAF, a whole bunch of them playing the shell game would be a different story, our interceptors would be run ragged and it's very easy to see a couple of targets going up in a mushroom cloud.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

Exactly.

It's just more propaganda dog doo.

Wipe your feet on the grass and move on...

peace

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Remember this is the same RAF which defended Britian from German Luftwafe, outnumberd 10 to 1.

Them Russians havnt got a chance, if they did drop a bomb our nuke subs would be surrounding russia in minutes.

Oh and along with 100's of US bomber and European soldiers on there border.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Nothing new to see here really.

I don't suppose you realize that in all likelihood the pilots actually know each other?

Most of the chaps in Leuchars have the e-mail addresses of the russian pilots that do the regular patrols.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Patriotism is all well and good - but pragmatically the technology and tactics are light years removed from world war 2, and even then the Luftwaffe got quite a few good punches in... All I have to do is walk around my home city Plymouth to see that.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Probably dropping the russian "James Bond" off near Ireland...

what i dont get about Skys lax reporting is this -

"Two Russian bombers, capable of carrying nuclear weapons, have been caught flying over British airspace."

then they quote the M.O.D saying -

"The Ministry of Defence stressed that there was no indication that the planes intended to enter British airspace."

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
This is so common it's untrue, and while the media like to play scare tactics, in reality it's a form of training.

They know we know, and we know they know we know - it's just something that goes on....

Nothing more to it really - especially as most of the top guys know each other.

They probably take pics for the album as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join