It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would the world be without the idea of "God"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
how would the world be without the idea of consciousness ?

->pretty much as it became.

my point is, there is no one idea of god, there are as many as there are spirits around (and that's including the sheeple and what hey are taught to think/believe and what you seem to talk about in the op).

as for me, for example:

god is consciousness (and i don't see much of it in this world...)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by ancientfuturist

This begs the question... what could have done this really?

There's no evidence of any supernatural godly being. Discovery isn't about starting with the answer beforehand.

You're right about their beings unknowns, but because it's unknown we can't specify how life formed, therefore we can't specify it was a godly being.

We could give the name "god" to an anything we decide as unknown, but that doesn't mean we will later find out that it matches the characteristic of a god defined by christianity or any religion. Ancient cultures defined the sun as "god", yet we later realised it's a main-sequence G2 star and gave it the more suitable name.

The term "god particle" is used in physics for a yet undiscovered particle. It's just a name, and it could have been called the "new particle".

Therefore naming and assumptions are both irrelevant.

I'd consider a Godly being to be one who has the necessary intelligence to engineer the amazing wonders of nature that surround us. A simple bacteria has a clutch mechanism and micro motor that can spin at 100,000 RPM, a creation greatly exceeding what man himself is capable of constructing.

But you are right... what's in a name?

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by ancientfuturist

But this all happened by accident?

Science doesn't claim anything happened by accident.

You using a false dichotomy by assuming that because we don't know, then it must be either by "accident" or by "god".

I found God not by blind faith, but through science itself.

Science isn't faith, so you found god by faith to fill in the blanks, and not science.

Those who believe in evolution are unaware of the implications of that religion.

This comment along with most of your post is a desperate attempt at spooky gibberish.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by john124]

That's correct. Science does not claim that any of this was an accident. The evolution religion does.

I see design all around, so I conclude that there must have been an architect of some kind. Call it God, Allah, Elohim, Yahweh, Ra, or whatever you'd like. That's beside the point.

I know it's not science. It's a logical response to science.

I admit that my view on origins is religious, no question. Evolutionists should do the same.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by ancientfuturist]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Uns is the biggest biggot I ever seen.

WTH is this.

" Need of imaginary friends to comfort our fears "

shut up with that nonsense already.

I don't believe because of fear, I believe because I believe their is a creator, and God taught the opposite. You see biggots like this were predicted near the end times. sensual men who blaspheme everything they don't understand.

so they assume already that God is imaginary and anything having to do with faith is ridiculous to them.

No as for the OP.

What would the world be without the idea of God.

It's impossible. Because people like myself who have seen countless miracles that prove the faith I already had before seeing the miracles, believe in a starting point. That is God.

That idea will never go away in souls. God put in us a longing and desire for truth and and afterlife.

what would happen IMO is communism would take over, and we would destroy ourselves in about several years with nukes which is what is happening because the society is becoming Godless.

and communism was predcited to rule the world for some time near the end and destroy it through nukes.

peace OP!

[edit on 25-3-2010 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 25-3-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
LOL

^
I
I

bad spelling upwards.. heave ho..

I gotta find a spell check button.

peace.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The funny thing is, there are some physicists who suppose that it's consciousness itself, that may be the cause of existence (i.e. the Big Bang started with a thought)...

In a sense, it certainly sounds like a "God" origin, for lack of a better term...

Thing is, the afterlife kind of serves as a means of guiding one towards proper behavior if you think about it. Kind of the ultimate reward system...

Do this...get a cookie (or go to Heaven)
Do this...get a spanking (or go to Hell), etc., etc.

So it's no wonder we came up with more specific rituals and dogmas to go along with religious ideas... But, one doesn't really need all the funny hats, dead language chants, and bells and whistles to have spiritual ideas about the Universe...

So the basic answer to the OP's question, "what would it be like" could be, "it may not have been at all, without such a thought"...for all we know...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
A much better place.

I say that because most of the things that happen, are under the name of god. Not god itself, if he actually exists, I'm not going to discuss that. But people who use his name under their own agenda.

If you take god out of the image, and you let peoples true intentions show, there was a lot of things that could be avoided even before they start.

Like me saying "let's kill all the rabbits because... I want to".

If you look back at the worst events in humanity, all of them are related to something in religion.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by WithoutYourKnowledge]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
" a much better place "

says who you? Do you know the real good christians who organize the most poor shelters in the world, are in the majority compared to a couple of crusades and wars talked about in the OT and in the middle ages back at a time when the world was at war.

it's ridiculous.

let's take me for instance. Ok. before I knew God I sucked and was evil, and more heartless and after finding God I changed and learn to grow a heart.

so in my instance only, speaking for me only, I'm better off before I knew God than when I knew him? It's false. I was way worse back then.

see and this is what generalizing will do, which leads to biggotness and hatred.

Like i said.

Communism was predicted by saints and Mary especially at lasalette to take over the world, and create nukes and wipe out 3/4s of the World.

so it will not be better, it will actually lead to our destruction. Wait about within the next 10 years when the cashless society comes and communism takes over and WW3 happens to see what I mean, most of the World will be Godless at this time.

peace.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

says who you?

Yes. I think I recall correctly that this is a public forum, and this is where we are allowed to express our opinions.

Please don't make the mistake of all religious people of judging badly someone that doesn't follow the same path you do.

Do you know the real good christians who organize the most poor shelters in the world, are in the majority compared to a couple of crusades and wars talked about in the OT and in the middle ages back at a time when the world was at war.

That's not true. Sounds like propaganda.

Millions died during the crusades, and they weren't just "a couple". The Templars alone worked for 200 years. And they weren't the only ones making such "activities".

Not to speak the thousands of wars started under the "support" of god. I'm sorry if you felt touched by my post, but I wasn't talking just about Christians. To me, all religions are the same, with minor exceptions that seek peace and non-violance.

Don't forget nor ignore the centuries of censorship carried out by the Pope and his "soldiers" of faith, in which people were being killed because they would say something like "I don't agree".

efore I knew God I sucked and was evil, and more heartless and after finding God I changed and learn to grow a heart.

You need to believe in god in order to be a better person, a better human.

I don't.

I don't need to read a book, or listen to a priest, to know how to love my children, my husband, or any other person.

so in my instance only, speaking for me only, I'm better off before I knew God than when I knew him? It's false. I was way worse back then.

What you would be worst without, is a belief system.

Since you believe in good, you are good.

If you believed in bad, you were going to be bad.

The idea of god itself doesn't change that either way.

Communism was predicted by saints and Mary especially at lasalette to take over the world, and create nukes and wipe out 3/4s of the World.

Of course.

Those damn communist in Iraq and in Afghanistan are dropping nukes like mad!

Oh, and those communists in banks are really helping the US economy, and the rest of the world.

I'm just glad that Mary predicted the communists but never saw the US corrupt power coming.

so it will not be better, it will actually lead to our destruction.

Man makes destruction. Man alone. Not good, not Mary, not Christ. Man.

And Man uses god (which one fits to the cause at the time) as an excuse to do BAD things.

Wait about within the next 10 years when the cashless society comes and communism takes over and WW3 happens to see what I mean, most of the World will be Godless at this time.

So where is going to be your god then?...

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Ok yes it is a public forum, and it's your opinion, so i agree with that. But you're missing the point about generalization.

" You need a god to be a better person "

Well ofcourse. He supplies breath to the lungs. So i need him to exist which is our belief. But that's no the point. I will not even get into what grace is here.

Our beleif is that God puts love into human souls. And i was making that point that if it's good for me how is it bad.

Love is learned. we aint born with it. It's learned throughout our years, and it gets stronger in souls who advance more in the spiritual path from experience talking here.

if it's not learned evil shouldn't exist if it was just in everybody. it's grace implanted in the soul unless you run on pride and can't recognize the grace or feelings.

Now as for communism and the crusades.

200 years? And that compared to 2,000 years of saints who didn't harm anyone.

it's not what God taught to go on crusades killing people, which is probably why we have had 40 some antipopes in our churches history who saints themselves condemned.

hypocrites exist in all aspects of life. In athiest, pagan, ect.. everybody will break the rules and act like something they are not.

as for communism.

and nukes.

" Man creates destruction "

exactly. you just said it. And man will fall from God near the end times, create a microchip implant, create a cashless societ and create nukes and communism mark my words on this will rule the world soon.

USA included. we aren't free. This is a free masonic country which communist have infiltrated.

and so to my point you remove God, you get communism, you get nukes, and you get WW3 and 3/4 of the world dissapearing which was predicted by countless saints.

peace.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Please don't make the mistake of all religious people of judging badly someone that doesn't follow the same path you do.
"

All religious people?

Now come on, not all religious people think like this. I don't.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by QuetzalcoatlAlien

Humans created the idea of a 'God' and the stories that have came along with it. To see what life would be like without all of the junk thrown at us through corporate, organized religion simply meditate and see things clearly.

YES we all have a soul

YES we all live after death

YES our consciousness is shared with all

Our quality of life would be incomprehensible if there were no thoughts/ideas/writings etc. of God(s), deities and likings. Can you imagine erasing all the wars caused because of religious conflict? History books would be filled with peace and not war - no more studying about war only study about peace.

What a great thought to ponder... star for you!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuetzalcoatlAlien
What would be of humanity if the whole idea of a "God", dieties, afterlife, or anything was never cemented into society but just a phase of human life and died as an idea? If Christianity didn't exist or Judaism or ANY religion.

Is religion just (due to anyones perspective) a necessary evil and/or element of life?

What do you think?

Before taking on this question I must first affirm the post by pretty_vacant above.

This is due to the fact that from one generation to the next, individuals will eternally be searching to establish meaning and identity in their lives. This is an inescapable feature of the human psyche. While the collective opinions and beliefs of a society change, so too does its outlet for finding meaning.

So refreshing to read once again the purpose of religion from a Sociological point of view. As far as the Torah goes, there is no pretense of Yahweh's religion pertaining to any afterlife. It is wholly concerned with people identified into a clan unit and living long on a territory. That's all folks.

From Sociology also come concepts of Function, Mysfunction, and Dysfunction.

Function: In a uni-religious culture see pretty_vacant's excellent post linked to above.

Mysfunction: (a side effect good/bad-neutral) In a multi-religion society it provides distinction, a set-apartness if you will. Which isn't a bad thing while living in a decadent or decaying society. Provides some moral compass during development of an internalized individual ethical system.

Dysfunction: (side effect which is opposed to, detracts from the Function) In a multi-religious culture there will of necessity exist subcultures consisting of cults with competing gods/myths. When this involves absolutist exclusivistic deities we are confronted with 'war in heaven', as in the gods themselves fighting. This results in conflict within society, a fragmentation as opposed to cohesion.

My personal recommendation would be to reach for and teach the most peaceful aspects of the higher religions, such as "love your neighbor as yourself" and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". There are many fine sayings like this in the faiths. Live by these. If your particular religion compels you to convert others then do it with all humility. After all, even if you have a religion that teaches an after-life, we do all, in the meantime, share this one planet.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by pthena]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Just like the europeans coming to america, i don't think religion caused the problems between the natives and the whites.

The Christians had no problems killing 'natives' because they were heathens.
Heathens were animals, so christians had no second thoughts about killing them. It amazes me that the Indians and south americans adopted that religion after their people were slaughtered by those who preached it.

With no religion, I think that life would be more precious instead of easily being thrown away thinking that there is an afterlife.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

IMO if the idea of god or gods and organised religion had not come about then some other tool would have been devised to control the masses . The temptation of power that corrupts would have been to much for most .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuetzalcoatlAlien
How would the world be without the idea of "God"?

Lost...

But I don't think it possible. I believe God is written on the fiber of our soul. We will always know of him with or without religion, books or oral tradition.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Our beleif is that God puts love into human souls. And i was making that point that if it's good for me how is it bad.

Love is learned. we aint born with it. It's learned throughout our years, and it gets stronger in souls who advance more in the spiritual path from experience talking here.

You're right. It is learned... From parents.

A loving home and education teach you how to love, respect and treasure life. Even if you miss that, you can learn how to love with another person, or when becoming a mother/father.

I still don't see where the magic dust from god comes in.

200 years? And that compared to 2,000 years of saints who didn't harm anyone.

I'm sorry, but you need to learn some history. The 200 years of activity of Templars was an example. It wasn't just 200 years, and the Church didn't kill people only in a 200 year window.

Killing under religious excuses has been happening from day 1 in humanity. Again, I didn't point out any specific religion, you did. And even your example is full of killing under wrong excuses.

it's not what God taught to go on crusades killing people

Exactly. It wasn't god. It was a pope, or someone from high places in religious movements that said "go on and kill under the name of your god, because if you do so, you are going to heaven for killing those (...)".

You're proving my earlier point correct. It's not god itself, it's what people do under his name. And with that logic, in my opinion, the world would be a better place without the picture of a big guy with a long white beard in the clouds.

At least, it would be one less excuse to kill innocent people.

hypocrites exist in all aspects of life. In athiest, pagan, ect.. everybody will break the rules and act like something they are not.

Yes, people will always act evil.

But if you take god out of the equation, you have someone saying "I'm going to kill that person, because I've an interest in killing him". People will look at that and provably stop him from killing, because they know it's not right.

But if that same person says "I'm going to kill that person, because he is a threat to our religion and our god", you'll have people turning on their belief system and supporting him.

So, from a wrong with no god involved, you get a right under god's name.

The image of god is like a window that makes everything look right and beautiful, when it isn't.

exactly. you just said it. And man will fall from God near the end times, create a microchip implant, create a cashless societ and create nukes and communism mark my words on this will rule the world soon.

Yes, I said it, and I'm right.

Man creates it, man is responsible for it. Like man is responsible for creating a god to use under his interests.

I don't know what's the point of debating with you if you keep answering with religious mambojambo. What do you want me to say? Amen? I think that god and all around it is a fairy tale. If you continue to use "god's words" instead of reason and logic, I have nothing more to say to you.

and so to my point you remove God, you get communism, you get nukes, and you get WW3 and 3/4 of the world dissapearing which was predicted by countless saints.

There were thousands of years of killing innocents through medieval ages, modern times, or simply in ancient times. "God" was there.

There were millions killed during World War. "God" was there.

There were 50 million people killed during World War II. "God" was there.

Do you want me to keep going, or you already understood?

God is nothing in our lifes, and the only thing he is being used for is to being an excuse to act in a certain way.

Remove god and you get communism? In case you didn't notice, communism has been around for decades. Where was your god? Sleeping at work?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join