It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow! what a hole!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Check this out, this is a sinkhole that opened up this afternoon in my area....Obviously one of the fabled entrances to Hollow Earth!

Sinkhole opens on I-240

Ok seriously I saw this thing pop this afternoon and I have to say it was a fairly terrifying experience at 65mph. Basically a sewer leak caused a large amount of erosion until the roadway gave way entirely...at least that is what TDOT is telling us, hmm.

I mostly wanted to get some others' thoughts on this monster, if I've posted this in the wrong forum mods feel free to move this.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
You call that a hole? We have potholes in our city streets bigger
than that. I wouldn't want to run into it though.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer
I wouldn't want to run into it though.

Sorry to say that a few vehicles had close encounters with that little mud pit.

Luckily no deaths or serious injuries. However I don't think the cars are quite the same, heck one woman claimed her vehicle went half way in before rebounding back out!

On the conspiracy side of this story TDOT is really pushing the sewage leak explanation of the damage. Some are beginning to question if state budget cuts, and shoddy construction might be to the true reasons for the collapse.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
From what the story says, the sinkhole formed as a result of a man-made structure below it (the storm sewer junction).

I'd honestly be a lot more impressed if it were a naturally occurring sinkhole, and not the result of man-made structure.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
HAHAHA!

"Wow! What A Hole!"

Marv from Home Alone?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Tek-Neek55

Hey someone got my reference... I feel like Less of a dork now!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This is exactly what happens when governments tell road crews that theres a bonus for finishing within the already unrealistic deadlines.......
rush jobs!!! Id hate to run into it on my bike!!! Sheesh!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
In the voice of Crocodile Dundee:

"That's not a sinkhole"

"This...

...is a sinkhole"

This happened to Scott Lake in Lakeland, FL in 2006. Our sinkholes in Florida swallow 291 acre lakes.

There was a thread on ATS on it back in 2006 Sinkhole drains most of Scott Lake although most of the links are outdated.

Here is a story that is still available online - Link to Story -

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Wow, just wow... That is one beast of a sinkhole, I wanna visit just to see it

On the plus side since this one here in TN is man made I don't think it will grow quite that large.

The local government isn't that grandly stupid when it comes to infrastructure(unless you count selling the Memphis Pyramid to Basspro...
).

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Remeber this one in Guatemala a few years ago?
Big Sink Hole

top topics

join