It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Examines Weird Coating on Rocks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

This may be stranger than we imagine... Look closely at the shapes created by the "blue lichen"... Looks remarkably like North America (sans Florida) and Central America, with Greenland depicted, as well.

I've added Florida with an animation... Weird.

— Doc Velocity

HAH! That is exactly what i thought.. looks like maybe a prediction of what would happen of the ice caps melted and water levels rose about 300 feet.. all of florida would be submerged!

OHHHH maybe it's an ancient map of earth!!!!!!! How cool would that be!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Exuberant1

People let's not argue her. We're not destroying the Earth and we're not going to destroy Mars. I just like the idea of colonizing the red planet. Heck, If I was President I would be the first one on this planet to have an interest of colonizing another planet for Human and animal use.

It would be nice to colonize the red planet, yes? But how do we do that when we still havn't accepted that other inteligent life exists outside. By colonizing planets, you have to realize that you might be an invader to someone elses home planet, whether the planet is (Dead or not). There are many problems to the "colonization" issue.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Nah it looks like dirty salt deposits!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
By colonizing planets, you have to realize that you might be an invader to someone elses home planet, whether the planet is (Dead or not).

So what?

It isn't like the Martian bacteria are going to come out of hiding and mount a counter-offensive against us.

Whine all you want - mars is getting colonized eventually....

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

So everything is taken as a joke and everybody has a nice laugh until the day comes where nobody's laughing no more?

Maybe I had "Misworded" the past sentence. Maybe "Just like how the earth is raped/pillaged/and abused by humans"

That sounds just about right.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Its funny you said that!! I called my husband over to look at the pic and he said " maybe they are trying to send us a message, it looks like a map of the continent!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Nah it looks like dirty salt deposits!

Wow! Your highly scientific answer amazes me MOTT! Didn't see that one coming from you. I honestly thought you would have said that it's the petrified placental remains of a Martian Blob Monster!

Wonders will never cease!

Kudos Man!

IRM

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDeath

I got the idea after checking out this site. www.thevenusproject.com... NASA has in the past has said they would have some type of green house to grow vegetables for food on another planet where food and water is scarce.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
By colonizing planets, you have to realize that you might be an invader to someone elses home planet, whether the planet is (Dead or not).

So what?

It isn't like the Martian bacteria are going to come out of hiding and mount a counter-offensive against us.

Whine all you want - mars is getting colonized eventually....

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Exuberant1]

Martian bacteria isn't the only thing you have to worry about in space or is that what they want you to think? That only microbial life exists outside our planet
!

I dont whine, I tell it like it is. In my view.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by QuantumDeath

I got the idea after checking out this site. www.thevenusproject.com... NASA has in the past has said they would have some type of green house to grow vegetables for food on another planet where food and water is scarce.

I cannot rely too much on what NASA (Never A Straight Answer) says to the public anymore, its all airbrushing and denial.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Over 2000 nuclear weapons have been detonated so far - the Earth still has not been destroyed.

Yeah, despite the fact that some early nuclear fission researchers believed a nuclear detonation would ignite the atmosphere.

So far, we've detonated nuclear weapons in mid-air, below the surface of the Earth, below the surface of the ocean, as well as in near-Earth space, and all it does is go POP!

Our collective fear of nuclear annihilation isn't really based on any hard scientific fact — more than anything, we base our fear on the prosaic rhetoric of scientists (such as Carl Sagan), who are notoriously wrong when it comes to predicting the future... Or even remarking upon the present.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
While you're looking at that blue-fungoid looking map of earth, look to the right of siberia... over that big gaping crack... in the upper right corner of the rock.......

Baby plant leaves?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by elcapitano75]

[edit on 25-3-2010 by elcapitano75]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

That is what I said a few posts back! It looks like a small plant doesn't it!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012

OHHHH maybe it's an ancient map of earth!!!!!!! How cool would that be!

An ancient map of Earth depicting land masses before plate tectonics arranged them into the modern configuration... Which would be a map hundreds of millions of years old.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

yeah my first impression, like a baby dandelion weed or something.

Hmmm and it seems more greener then the blue stuff.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I just wonder how long we have to wait before NASA tries growing something on Mars?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

lol... and its not illegal on mars. Yet.

BTW.. in case no one noticed... the hires shot:

cdn.physorg.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75

lol... and its not illegal on mars. Yet.

BTW.. in case no one noticed... the hires shot:

cdn.physorg.com...

It all depends if something got there before we did

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Beautiful hi-rez... I'm especially intrigued by the striations of the rock itself. While certainly not fossilized wood, it IS a good example of sedimentary stone, deposited in thin layers, probably as silt, at the bottom of a shallow ocean many hundreds of millions (or billions) of years ago.

This is probably a specimen of sandstone ejected by the meteor impact at this site.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
'Course, you have to keep in mind that the image is color-enhanced, undoubtedly, to bring out certain features for examination.

Whatever is the "blue" mineral that is so predominant in that area, I'm willing to bet that the meteoric impact not only ejected quantities of sandstone, but was energetic enough to melt sub-surface ice into water, which combined with the soil to produce a blue mud that coated everything in the immediate area, yes?

Follow that with a few thousand centuries of wind erosion, and you arrive at the flaking, blue "lichen" effect.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/25/2010 by Doc Velocity]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join