It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light bends matter, surprising scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by spookfish

Surely the umbrella would weigh you down more

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Discovery so unexpected, researchers were skeptical of their own results

By Clara Moskowitz
updated 2:54 p.m. ET, Wed., March. 24, 2010

Light can twist matter, according to a new study that observed ribbons of nanoparticles twisting in response to light.

. At first the nano ribbons were flat, but when a light was shone on them, they curled up into spirals./quote]

Thanks OP. i wonder if this is the reason our DNA is "spiraled".?? THIS is why,
ATS is my first stop of the day,,,[and the last]lol

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by garritynet

So what you're saying is... a prism bends and untangles light into separate strands. Whereas light bends and twists multiple nanothreads causing a twining affect... resulting in a newer/stronger nanoROPE... so to speak.

Thank you for allowing me to have my visual.

[edit on 25/3/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is a very nice find, OP

I think space travel has been mentioned, but, I'd like to further it with the logic Kevin Spacey's character put forth in K-PAX. He said something along the lines of "Einstein said you can't accelerate to the speed of light, not the you can't go the speed of light. If you can catch a beam of light, you can go the speed of light and many multiples there of." Not an exact quote, but, you get the idea

I wonder if this might be the key to catching a beam of light and allowing us to travel at speeds currently incomprehensible.

As far as time travel, while I doubt Alexander_Supertramp has truly solved something the top scientists in the world haven't (to our knowlege) that doesn't make it an impossibility. After all, Einstein also taught us time and space are one. Therefore as much as I can walk through my living room, I can travel through time, science just needs to catch up with our imaginations.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Why doesn´t the thread poster give the name of the scientists and of the
research institute to make the text more credible ?

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hedera Helix

Thats so true, thanks for making it very clear and simple.

Great post OP, this is why I love ATS.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by DarkCyrus]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

Why don't you look at the link.....

Nicholas Kotov and with a simple search, I found this che.engin.umich.edu... which has a model not shown in the OP's link which, I think offers a better view of the nanoparticles.

University of Michigan, Chemical Engineering

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkCyrus

Nice links -- so on the first hand we have photon sub-wavelength resonance creating STRONGER AMPLITUDE -- used for both photon signaling and for the photoelectric effect on metals.

on the other hand the photonic crystals use something called "quantum diffraction gradients" -- which is where the rainbow on the back of compact discs comes from -- the refraction and reflection of the light can also create a buildup of resonance like how a laser works.

The second example is quantum while the first example is classical.

So these nanomaterials are exhibiting a quantum chaotic dynamic - a nonlinear feedback for complex behavior from the quantum realm of the photon -- where energy intensity is defined by frequency to the classical realm of elements -- where energy intensity is defined by the number of amplitude wavelength signals.

You find this same quantum chaos feedback with ultrasound cavitation -- where a sound bubble collapses creating a shockwave of a Casimir Cavity -- actual zero-point or vacuum energy -- and this goes from ultrasound into hotter than the sun energy -- just like a laser -- which then enables

neutron fusion and fission -- alchemy.

Check out piezonuclear fusion for further details.

www.overunity.com...

Meta-materials control light through the introduction of sub-wavelength structures such as thin metal lines and split-rings. These sub-wavelength structures give rise to resonances, which in turn give effectively negative constitutive parameters (negative e and negative μ) near the resonance frequencies. What distinguishes meta-materials from photonic crystals is that the functionality of meta-material comes from the electromagnetic resonance of the individual resonating unit, while photonic crystals derive the effect from the collective scattering of many scattering units.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.
Why doesn´t the thread poster give the name of the scientists and of the
research institute to make the text more credible ?

I apologize for jumping in but it was Nick Kotov's Chemical Engineering Research Group at the Univ. of Michigan that published, "Light-Controlled Self-Assembly of Semiconductor Nanoparticles into Twisted Ribbons," Sudhanshu Srivastava, Aaron Santos, Kevin Critchley, Ki-Sub Kim, Paul Podsiadlo, Kai Sun, Jaebeom Lee, Chuanlai Xu, G. Daniel Lilly, Sharon C. Glotzer, and Nicholas A. Kotov, Science, 12 March 2010 327: 1355-1359; published online 11 February 2010 [DOI: 10.1126/science.1177218]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Seems to me like this is all trivial stuff.

Einstein discovered the photoelectric effect in the early-mid 20th c. We knew then that light could eject electrons from a material. Ionizing radiation (the bad stuff that you should actually go "AH! RADIATION!" about) has been used for power sources, weapons, and medical imaging (my specialty) for decades.

So we all know what light can do to matter. Making a material that bends in response to optical stimulus is nothing more than a cute science project. Not even the best optical technology I heard in the past week. Yesterday a dude at a seminar talked about imaging mass spectrometry... using a laser to eject bits of matter at a time and running the ejected mass through a mass spectroscopy device. It basically lets you make a picture of a sample weighted by any elemental or molecular content you're interested in. Neat stuff.

(Derailed, sorry.)

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pondrthis

Well the photoelectric effect can be explained in classical terms through Einstein's most famous equation:

www.wbabin.net...

Here's another published classical model for the photoelectric effect:

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by garritynet

Originally posted by fnord
this basically proves that light indeed has mass, but, it could only have mass when observed.

Did you even read the article? It has nothing to do with mass. If your going to comment you should at least read the material you are commenting on, or at least not just make stuff up.

"The surface of the nanoparticles in this experiment were made of cadmium sulfide. To begin with, they had a slightly negative electromagnetic charge. But when photons, or particles of light, hit the nanoparticles, their energy excited electrons on the nanoparticles, causing chemical reactions that made them even more negatively charged. Since two negative charges repel each other, the nanoparticles began to repel more strongly.

"What's happening is a layer of nanoparticles starts repulsing from the others, so it creates mechanical stress, and in order to release this stress the ribbon twists itself," Kotov told LiveScience. "It's very much like what's happening when you stretch a Christmas ribbon on a gift box and from the flat ribbon it becomes a spiral."

Why hasn't anybody read the answer as explained above and instead gone into ATS overload with outlandish theories?

The behaviour expressed in this thread is why I am becoming evermore skeptical of claims made on other threads. Far too many people making totally outlandish claims even when the truth/explanation is there in front of them in black and white!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Well I was just postulating a theory. A lot of people laughed at string theory when it was first proposed, now look at the following it has accumulated.

Edit:
I wasn't at all proposing my thoughts as fact or anything of the sort. Just casual theories.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by OrphenFire]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Discovery so unexpected, researchers were skeptical of their own results

By Clara Moskowitz
updated 2:54 p.m. ET, Wed., March. 24, 2010

Light can twist matter, according to a new study that observed ribbons of nanoparticles twisting in response to light.

Scientists knew matter can cause light to bend — prisms and glasses prove this easily enough. But the reverse phenomenon was not shown to occur until recently.

The researchers assembled strings of nanoparticles, which are tiny clumps of matter on the scale of nanometers (one nanometer is one billionth of a meter). In a darkened lab, the scientists linked nanoparticles together into ribbons. At first the nano ribbons were flat, but when a light was shone on them, they curled up into spirals.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The discovery was so novel, the researchers were skeptical of their own results at first.

More:www.msnbc.msn.com...

the article as the ops post did not show

www.livescience.com...

achieveverything.com...

well this can cause some new idea's light bends matter, matter bends light
just need a machine that can do both energy ? well there is something like its in every Personal Computer you use you CD/DVD Writer you use well sort of not bending but denting your CD/DVD disks Laser but this is totally different this discovery is it just normal light ? nanotech is still beyond the norm of the public ( nanoparticles twisting in response to light ).

wow a lot of new things are coming to light ( pun intended )

just think of what the human mind created (with help ) ? within less a hundred years at the beginning of the industrial revolution to now

as humans recorded history as the first ( Sumerian ) 5-7 thousand years ago ! here a question folks what if ! a big if from this time ! 7 thousand B.C. and humans progress at that speed of what human accomplished within the recent hundred years where would we be today ? my belief is we would not be riding Chariots ! we would be riding the chariots of the gods!

dark matter bends light from a distant star
this is the reverse but interesting www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnord
this basically proves that light indeed has mass, but, it could only have mass when observed.

are you talking about the double split theory ?

en.wikipedia.org...

a video www.youtube.com...

wave particle duality
en.wikipedia.org...

Diffraction, Interference and Young's Double Slit Experiment
www.nanoed.org...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Reading this thread, I second the observation that most people here are not even bothering to read the original article and its explanations. To me, summed up, the article says basically that light knocks electrons around in the cadmium sulfide surface of the nano-particles. This makes them more negative and repel each other. This, in turn, induces an internal stress, caused by the electrostatic repulsion. The stress, and because of the nanoparticles' arrangement, is what makes them twist when exposed to the light.
There, simple enough. Now, if you've got a better theory as to what's actually happening in this situation; hey go for it. But I don't think we need to invent new exotic theories about the nature of light and matter to explain this experiment.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Going on what Darrman pointed out is the shaping of DNA is in Double Helixes?
I was thinking the same thing but this is getting little to no attention. Perhaps this is how DNA and similar atomic structures were created in the first place?
This is one the links in the chain people and it's staring you in the eye and you don't even realize it.
How plausible is it that the light effects particles in such a way that it can bend them to the point that things take another step eventually that we haven't found yet?

Am I making sense?

Edit to insert:

[edit on 25-3-2010 by spec_ops_wannabe]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Light does not have mass -- light has MOMENTUM. It's a subtle but important difference.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by postmeme

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla
reply to post by Alexander_Supertramp

(Like I have said many times) You can use light to make a time machine. The real question is how. But ,fortunately for me, nobody knows. RATHER than me of course.

Hey Mods, how is this guy able to get away with his claims like this? This guy should have been banned long ago.

Actually, if you did some research, you'd realize that the idea of using light to time travel has made it to the main stream of cutting edge physics.

Ever hear of a physicist named Ronald Mallet? The OP might be playing with words, because the idea is not a secret. Surely your ignorance in a subject shouldn't be a reason to ban a member, would it?

Ronald Mallet theory of light using lasers mirrors to form a Strait lines in a fine pinwheel pattern to form circle to cause the effect

when you have Goal and Brilliant mind ! and personal tragedy ( death of father and going back in time to save him ! anything is possible !

en.wikipedia.org...
www.4engr.com...

the videos just a few!
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

I wonder if DR MALLETT Found about this >? Light bending Matter

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

That's actually a good point -- this dude said the same thing a while back 2005:

www.rickaster.com...

DNA does transduce photons -- biophotons

www.news.cornell.edu...

So they turned to a new device created by Lipson: a "slot waveguide" -- two parallel silicon bars 60 nm apart, serving as two parallel wave guides. Light waves traveling along each guide expand beyond its boundaries, but because the parallel guides are so close together, the waves overlap and most of the energy is concentrated in the slot. In addition to creating a more intense beam, this structure allows a beam of light to be channeled through air or water.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by drew hempel]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join