It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freudian slip by Michigan congressman about Healthcare Reform?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Freudian slip

A Freudian slip, or parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ('dynamically repressed') wish, conflict, or train of thought. The concept is thus part of classical psychoanalysis.

en.wikipedia.org...

Okay, so I was driving home from work this morning and I was listening to a radio program. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh to be exact, and please refrain from labeling me a conservative or republican, because I am neither. However, one has to glean information from multiple sources to form an intelligent opinion. Take what you can from all available sources. After hearing this sound byte, I had to share it with all of you, and it is in relation to the 1000 pound gorilla in the room known as Healthcare Reform. Right now the ink is sufficiently dry from yesterday, and the bill signing ceremony via President Obama. The roar of applause is now silent, and the bill is beginning to be implemented slowly but surely into our daily lives.

Back to this sound byte and the Freudian slip. Congressman John Dingle, democrat from Michigan commented on the slow implementation of the bill on the Paul W. Smith show at the radio station WJR out of Detroit. The crucial and most controversial elements of the bill are not scheduled to be enacted until 2014 and long after President Barack Obama is either out of office or is re-elected. Without further adieu, here is the good congressman's telling dialogue, and a Freudian slip about the true intentions of healthcare reform legislation?

"The harsh fact of the matter is when you are going to pass legislation that will cover three-hundred American people (I think he meant 300 million American people, but the old timer may have got his numbers crossed?) in different ways. It takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people . . ."

Here is congressman Dingell's official response to what he said on the radio program on March 23, 2010.

Dingell Statement Clarifying Comments on Paul W. Smith Show

Washington, DC - Congressman John D. Dingell (D-MI15), made the following statement this morning to clarify a comment he made yesterday on WJR 760AM in Detroit on the Paul W. Smith Show, a comment which is now being distorted by right-wing blogs for political purposes.

“Right-wing bloggers are attempting to take my words out-of-context in another pathetic attempt to destroy the historic step taken yesterday for our country. During an interview on Paul W. Smith’s show, I said:

‘The harsh fact of the matter is when you're going to pass legislation that will cover 300 [million] American people in different ways it takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people.’

“If one were to listen to the entire interview, and not just a clip creatively chopped up for political gain, it is obvious that by ‘people’ I was referring to the insurance companies who we must do a better job of overseeing. Specifically, we are going to end the deplorable practices of those who rescind the health insurance policies of people on gurneys heading into emergency rooms.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us to bring the insurance companies in-line with the new law and to ensure that they are doing what’s right for the American people. It will take time to make sure the system designed to make sure the companies are accountable is up and working as it should be - for the benefit the citizens of the United States of America, not to control them.

www.house.gov...

So, is the concern by the people a knee-jerk reaction as some in the news media are claiming, or is there need for alarm? From what this congressman has said on this radio program, along with 16,000 IRS being hired to police the health insurance coverage of every tax paying American, and handing out fines followed by prison sentences, if necessary, is quite disturbing. This is about control and not a reform of healthcare or the government being humanitarians as they would like the masses to believe. Moreover, this legislation might as well be a diversion or smoke screen to shield another authoritarian move by a bloated federal government. The proof is plain to see, but it seems people only want to see what they believe are roses and rainbows of this bill, rather than, the cold hard facts before them. I, like any, would love to see a broad range of reforms to healthcare and that everyone gets a fair shake at care in terms of accessibility and cost.

However, I see none of that with this bill, but an ever increasing arm of government control. Furthermore, I wish I could be at ease over this bill becoming law, but I, like many I am sure, are disturbed by it. To cut a long story short, maybe this is what was going in the smoked filled back offices of the legislature in the latter hours of the night among our elected representatives, and why C-span was shown the door to a great extent during the deliberation process of this bill in congress? Maybe there is more to Healthcare Reform than meets the eyes?

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
OP, this is a great find. That guy made it even WORSE for himself when he tried to say he meant "the insurance companies" when talking about trying to control the people

SnF

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
OP, this is a great find. That guy made it even WORSE for himself when he tried to say he meant "the insurance companies" when talking about trying to control the people

SnF

Yeah, it is very disturbing how quick he had to provide further clarification about what he said on that radio show. Moreover, more of the fine art of backtracking and spin on the congressman's part. When you look at that mandate provision and who will be enforcing it, it looks a heck of lot like authoritarianism to me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My bad, apparently, this has already been covered.

Dingell Says ObamaCare Will Eventually ‘Control the People’

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Regardless of the redundancy, S&F for the effort. This sort of thing needs to be spread far and wide, to open the eyes of the few holdouts who don't realize what a load of financial rape this "Health care bill" is. In my opinion, they don't even care about doing anything about health care, they just dropped this enormous turd to provoke people who have already been driven to the edge of reason, so that the government can point to them as a justification to imposing martial law. Unfortunately, they seem to be about to get what they want.

top topics

join