It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic high school vs public high school

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Catholic hs had it's share of fights, the odd pot smoker, ect... usually those people hung out in the smoke hole and chummed around together... I was friends with them too, but didn't hand out with them.

This is similar to my experiences within the public school system. The vast majority of kids, in both public and catholic highschools don't get into fights, and don't walk around high, nor would the teachers just roll their eyes at them.

I loved the compassion, the togetherness in everybody, the student body was one, the teacher's were like gaurdians watching over you to make sure you towed a straight line, AND FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. Teenagers will get away with anything if they can and they need strong guidance to help them through that stage or they end up like little misfits. Tis all i'm saying... I think.. LOL...

This, again, reminds me of the highschools I went to. Obviously we had totally different experiences in highschool. But you have to wonder, do you think all catholic schools are like the one you went to? I'm betting not. Just as not all public schools are like the ones you went to.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by parrhesia]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If you were smart, then your teachers made sure you got in classes with good teachers and students. If not, they threw you in with other teachers.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Ontario.

Then it's not true that anyone can get into the Catholic schools, at least at the Elementary level, regardless of boundaries. My daughter was rejected because She isn't baptized, nor are her father or I. Kind of a piss off, seeing as the catholic schools recieve public funding.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Ontario.

Then it's not true that anyone can get into the Catholic schools, at least at the Elementary level, regardless of boundaries. My daughter was rejected because She isn't baptized, nor are her father or I. Kind of a piss off, seeing as the catholic schools recieve public funding.

I don't recall being asked if I was baptised... Actually I remembre having a discussion about this in religion class, some people weren't...
I wasn't baptised until grade 3.

I know public school kids got into catholic high school because of boundaries, or if their parents wanted them to go there... Maybe cuz they were catholic not sure...

I don't know about other high schools, this post is all about my observation, and I still stick with catholic high school is alot better then public high school.
In the sense of compassion, caring, and making sure their kids (students) grew up towing a straight line... Public superiors just didn't do that... Not from what I observed anyway... Sure they were nice and slapped kids around with logic but there was a sense of good parenting at the catholic high schools, and more discipline at it then in the public high schools... Again, my opinion. my observation, feel free to share your experiences and observations of hs life.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The problem with public schools (apart from the federal and state system which sucks) is that parents are not kicking ass for their kids. I bet my kids college funds that if parents on the whole got more involved and kicked some ass and raised some hell that the school system would be, in part, better.

Parents need to quite accepting substandard teachers. MAKE them do something.

My kids are not in school yet, but when they do, I'll be two inches behind any teacher they ever have making sure they are on the money and properly teaching.

Of course this should not exclude the suplimental education that needs to come from home to bolster the teachers who do work hard for not much recognition.

I have had some of the best teachers of my life in public schools, and some of the worst.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Take a kid from a home with concerned, involved parents, and put her into a public school and she will do very well. Put the same child in a parochial school and she will excel. Take a kid from a broken home/background and she will struggle in almost every environment.

wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong........... My parents didn't pay for my high school education...... My parents were concerned about me as ANY parent would be concerned about their child like they should be, and thus be involved in their childrens lives. but at the catholic high school the key ingredient there was CARING, the teachers and all set standards and morale, that was the ingredient missing at public high school.....
to note: I only got those grades because I knew I would worry about it come grade 12 and college when the marks really counted, and thus became an honor student. so academics to me didn't count.....

catholic school? They do their job with CARING, concern, and a passion for making sure their students (they look at them like they were their own children) grow up to be model individuals. They get paid but I don't think that is their main concern... Catholic school has a sense of faith, and from faith comes passion and caring and strong morale.

TL

I don't understand what you said, TL. If you are trying to say that a catholic school can overcome all the damage that is done by a broken home, then you are totally wrong. If a kid has major problems to deal with at home - and I don't consider a divorce to be necessarily a major problem - it depends on how the parents handle it - it will definitely show up in school. Life does not begin and end at school. School can be an escape, an oasis, but if a child has to go home to a drug or alcohol impaired home, or abusive environment, then it will certainly affect their performance in school.

You said your parents were concerned with your education. You turned out somewhat OK. You proved my point, which is that kids with a good EQ have a much better chance than kids without. So what's with this wrong wrong wrong wrong bit?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
in my city the Catholic highschool is where all the rednecks hang out doing drugs, getting drunk, and playing baseball.

Imaging that! AND BASEBALL TOO? And those nasty "rednecks" oh the horror of it..........

and what city is that Jingles?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

i think people underestimate the power parents have over their children.

As my esteemed colleague PM here has pointed out...people do underestimate the power a parent has over a child....BUT (you knew there was a but here...) sometimes the child has power over the parent.

Point in case: I attended X-tian school grades 1-7. I was miserable. So, I basicly didn't do SQUAT 7th grade. My mother told me that she would put me in public school and let me get a taste of the real world. Like a threat, almost. I counted on it and it paid off. 8th grade and off to public school I went.

I have a high school diploma, I attanded trade school, and now I am currently searching for another job int he automotive field. I respect my parents, i have manners and I am always thoughtful of others.

You figure it out.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JamesLimelight
You figure it out.

It obviously wasn't enough of a threat to do any good. She should have done a little something more.

But I would say you are wrong in the "sometimes the child has power over the parent" idea.

I would change that to "Children affect parents, to greater or lesser degrees depending, but the child has power over himself."

The only person you #ed is yourself. Turning wrenches your whole life can make decent money eventually, but won't take you very far.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesLimelight

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

i think people underestimate the power parents have over their children.

BUT (you knew there was a but here...) sometimes the child has power over the parent.

Point in case: I attended X-tian school grades 1-7. I was miserable. So, I basicly didn't do SQUAT 7th grade. My mother told me that she would put me in public school and let me get a taste of the real world. Like a threat, almost. I counted on it and it paid off. 8th grade and off to public school I went.

I have a high school diploma, I attanded trade school, and now I am currently searching for another job int he automotive field. I respect my parents, i have manners and I am always thoughtful of others.

You figure it out.

I say good for your mother, and good for you. She worded it like a threat, but it was actually a challenge. You're doing well; that's what's important. Keep up with your training as the auto technology changes over time, and you'll never go hungry.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

It obviously wasn't enough of a threat to do any good. She should have done a little something more.

She's done pleanty, believe you me!

But I would say you are wrong in the "sometimes the child has power over the parent" idea.

I would change that to "Children affect parents, to greater or lesser degrees depending, but the child has power over himself."

You know, I think I agree with you there.

The only person you #ed is yourself. Turning wrenches your whole life can make decent money eventually, but won't take you very far.

I don't see how I F'ed myself...Had i stayed, I most likely would have turned into a bible nazi. No thank you! As far as turning wrenches my whole life....you do realize an A-tech at a dealership makes MINIMUM 35$/hr. I am a third generation mechanic, and I am pretty damn good for only have a year under my belt. I have full faith I will make it to that because of the things she HAS done. And I will always be grateful to have such a woman as my mother.

Originally posted by jsobecky

I say good for your mother, and good for you. She worded it like a threat, but it was actually a challenge. You're doing well; that's what's important. Keep up with your training as the auto technology changes over time, and you'll never go hungry.

Ya darn tootin! Thanks for the support

<< 1   >>

join