It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would like some opinions on college.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So I have been going to a community college for TV/Film. Only thing is, the College has a horrid TV/Film program. I'm from New Jersey and am about to make a movie to California and attend film school there. Only problem is, I'd be going for my BA. In this community college, i'm 6 classes away from an associates.

I have people telling me to finish up my AA's and then go to film school in Cali. I don't like that idea. For one, i'm not learning anything in this certain community college. I feel like i'm setting myself back if I stay in New Jersey for another 6 months, just to get an Associates degree that would be non existant to a Bachelor's degree i'll be aiming for. So ... if anybody could provide some guidance. I was so sure and motivated on what I had intended to do, and now? I am questioning my own motives.

Do I move to Cali by July and transfer credits?

Do I take classes during the summer, then during fall and get my Associates?

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Simply J]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I suggest you finish your associates. That way if you change your mind bout the degree, you can still change the degree you want. I think a whole AA is more transferable then just credits.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Get a degree, then go elsewhere...

Credits don't always transfer well between colleges, especially those in other states...it's all about the different accrediting levels/regions, etc.

The degree would determine where you start in the new college... Without the degree, you're just relying on which credits transfer...(and you may be surprised there).

You can check with the Academic Advisor/Councilor of the college you want to go to, and find out about the credits issue prior to going of course....

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Well,take small steps first,you will still get there.

You have done the time at the CC stick it out and get an AA first.

Why you think you need to travel ALL the way across country to Calif. to go to school is beyond my comprehension.

CUNY (City University of New York)has one of the finest film schools in the country and it is just down the road and across the bridge.

California is full of bums,drug addicts and waiters and waitresses that came here to,"go to film school".And not many job openings in that field either in case you hadn't noticed.

The Spielberg's,Tarantino's and Rodriquez's are far and few between these days.

You would actually have a better chance of getting in the business in NYC.

The plus is if you do go there(NYC)it is a better atmosphere for doing student films.

It would take you at least a Masters to get anywhere,anyways.

Get your AA where you are now,check CUNY for your BA and THEN go to Calif. for your MA.

Don't be a fool,stay in school!Don't quit,commit!

Okay I am done with the cliches.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Going to completely agree with the above poster...

And add this....minor in something else, that you can fall back on...(look at the course overlaps, and try to determine a good fallback)...

It's a tough business, and you may want to put the education to use while trying to get your "moment"....

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That is true also.A large number of employers look for other skills a person has other than the ones to which they majored in.

Case in point,The job market has presently tanked for new college graduates.

My daughter applied for a job which she knew college grad women would also be applying.There was 80 applicants.She was hired at 1 dollar more an hour than the starting rate.

Why?Because her Dad insisted if he was paying for her education that she take this one course before she pursued any other.

MS Office suite and office administration a 12 week course with a certificate of completion.

And a portfolio that they had to make and keep during the course of the class of work they did.

That is what she showed the interviewer and why she beat out 79 people who gave him just a resume.

She did not tell him what she could "bring to the company".

She showed him what she could bring.

Now she has a good paying job and still attend school working on her degree.

I am not just "Oneolddude".

I am a smart Dad too.

new topics

top topics

join