It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec Will Require Bare Face for Service

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Quebec Will Require Bare Face for Service

news.aol.ca

MONTREAL - Muslim women will need to uncover their faces from now on if they want to deal with the Quebec government, according to landmark legislation tabled Wednesday in the province.

The bill tabled in the legislature says people obtaining - or delivering - services at places like the health-or auto-insurance boards will need to do so with their faces in plain view.

"This is not about making our home less welcoming, but about stressing the values that unite us. . .
"An accommodation cannot be granted unless it respects the principle of equality between men and women, and the rel
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I remember going to get my driver's license renewed, and there was a muslim woman there wanting to get her driver's license but when she was to take her photo ID she didn't want to take her burqa off.

I thought to myself why the hell did she come here for then, she knew she would have to take a photo. That was ridiculous! I found it fairly funny too.

Anyhow, it's about time, in fact this piece of legislation doesn't even do enough either.

But whatever, even a little is better than nothing!

news.aol.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It makes sense. I'm not sure what kind of argument, if any, can be made against it. I mean how else are you supposed to properly identify someone through their photo ID?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It only makes sense that you would be required to show your face on ID or any other form of Identification in dealing with the government.

I mean, have you seen photos of crowds of Mulsim women? They all look the same if you aren't looking closely at the eyes.

Good job Quebec.

Note that this legislation is not about discriminating against their religion or their lifestyle. It's common sense approach to government practices.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
About time something like this happened. I'm not surprised it was the Quebecois who took a stand either. It seems like their the only ones in this country who give a damn about their culture (Quebecois or Canadian, I'll leave that to you to decide.) I sure wish the spineless provincial government here in Ontario would do the same.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It pleases me to finally be seeing part of Canada take a stand on enforcing integration.

I don't mind the "Melting Pot" concept. I don't mind immigration of all nationalities. They enrich the tapestry of society in numerous ways.

What I do mind is when political correctness dictates that any attempt to enforce the integration of these people into a countries culture be labeled as "racism" out of hand.

It is not racism to expect people who immigrate to your country to integrate with the culture present there. That is called logic. If people persist in refusing to integrate (ignoring cultural norms, refusing to learn the official language, demanding laws from their home country, etc) then they should be deported immediately.

I am all for immigration, but it sickens me to see people expect to have their cake and eat it too, by coming to another country and trying to enforce the culture of their home country on their new one.

For example, Sharia law is barbaric and has no place in the civilized world. The fact that Canada and the UK are even considering it out of "Political Correctness" is disgusting. If these people want to honor kill their wives and daughters, they can be tried as murderers are under Canadian/UK law, or go back to their home countries and do it there. There is no middle ground, nor should there be.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

Canada is not a Melting Pot.

We are a mosaic, there is a huge difference between the immigration mentality of America and Canada.

Canadian Mosaic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Canadian Mosaic was a book by John Murray Gibbon, published in 1938. Gibbon's book, the full title of which was Canadian Mosaic: The Making of a Northern Nation, heralded a new way of thinking about immigrants that was to shape Canadian immigration policy in the latter part of the Twentieth century. The idea of a mosaic, in which each cultural group retained a distinct identity and still contributed to the nation as a whole, was in contrast to the melting pot, a popular metaphor for the more assimilationist American approach to immigration.

The idea of a mosaic of cultures forming a nation was adopted by Canadian sociologist John Porter in his study of social class, entitled: Vertical Mosaic: An Analysis of Social Class and Power in Canada. The mosaic theme became a part of Canadian multiculturalism policy in the 1970s, which envisioned Canada as a "cultural mosaic".

Source

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
For those wondering how this all started :

Woman kicked out of school for Niqab

Woman kicked out again for wearing Niqab

This was the last straw for the government...

Keeping the peace,

Magnum

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
For example, Sharia law is barbaric and has no place in the civilized world. The fact that Canada and the UK are even considering it out of "Political Correctness" is disgusting. If these people want to honor kill their wives and daughters, they can be tried as murderers are under Canadian/UK law, or go back to their home countries and do it there. There is no middle ground, nor should there be.

Strictly speaking, as far as I know honour killing is a cultural thing, and not endorsed in the Koran. However, I agree that Sharia law has no role here. Quebec has its Napoleonic Code, and that is their end of the conquest. First Nations may have offenses moved to their cultural groups for sentence, and there is much to be said for that. Dalton tried to get Sharia Law considered in Ontario, and was rightfully shouted down (pale, limp arse that he is).

But I applaud Quebec for not rolling over on this issue. Mounties in turbans? Why not? But hiding a woman's face in a niquab on an ID card is absurd, and if not acceptable to the wearer, I suggest they don't drive.

Thing is, though, Quebec rides a slippery slope with its concept of pur laine, so we need to ensure just what the actual nature of the debate is.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Great, now French Canada can be like the Muslim countries where the Husband/Man of Family deals with public officials and the wife stays home where she cannot be seen or heard.

The government just effectively banned devout Muslim women from actively participating in their society (If you don't understand what I mean by this - that's okay.).

Edit:

I wonder how this will play out.... I bet the Muslims will win and get their way, but it may take time.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Great, now French Canada can be like the Muslim countries where the Husband/Man of Family deals with public officials and the wife stays home where she cannot be seen or heard.

The government just effectively banned devout Muslim women from actively participating in their society (If you don't understand what I mean by this - that's okay.).

Edit:

I wonder how this will play out.... I bet the Muslims will win and get their way, but it may take time.

How does that make sense?

The only time they are forced to remove it is for a governmental affair, such as ID and picture taking.

There is nothing keeping them from going out to any other venue and wearing the head dress.

Besides we don't live in a country that supports Sharia law or the concept above of wife staying at home while man deals with everything.

They are making the active choice to participate in such a relationship, why should the government be responsible?

They need to be able to ID people, plain and simple.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Interesting take...I hadn't considered that aspect.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I bet the Muslims will win and get their way, but it may take time.

I'll take that bet. The Quebecers have a staunch devotion to their heritage. They will not be moved.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

&*^*&^%& im proud to be living in quebec
born and raise

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Not in Quebec, they won't and I'll explain why in two words: Notwithstanding Clause.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Edit:

first of all there is reason why people leave there country... meaby it is because to poeple in general where doing something wrong to make the situation that bad....

but now you guys think you can come to the country that my ancestor create and turn it into your country and recreate ther same problem....now you got a problem with me...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

I'll take that bet. The Quebecers have a staunch devotion to their heritage. They will not be moved.

Well let's see how it plays out.

We shall confer about this in a year's time and determine who made the better guess.

Intrepid = Staunch Quebecers win.

Exuberant1 = Quebec Muslims Prevail.

*I hope I'm wrong though.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
lol duhhhh..

doesn't take an arrogant middle-east french culture to figure this out.

[[btw, when i say "middle-east" i meant Queuebc.. it's sorta middle-east of canada
]]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Devout muslim women?
I don't think so, it's not mandatory in islam that women wear a Niqab.
I believe they are only required, by the book, to wear the everyway hijab covering on the head, so their faces are not covered.

Moderate muslims should have no problem with this.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Devout muslim women?

Moderate muslims should have no problem with this.

Moderate Mulsim Women?

Devout Muslims should have a problem with this.

You think they won't?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join