It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Membership: Thread Titles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,

I primarily use the Recent Posts page to dictate what topics I will be discussing throughout the run of the day.

Therefore, I usually see threads as soon as they come up and don't really keep up with the older threads unless I am specifically interested in the topic.

We've had an influx in membership over the course of my time here and the growth is exponential.

I would just like to say to new members as well as the older ones who may have forgot.

When authoring a thread, it is VERY important that the title match the content. These titles I am seeing that are just there to draw attention are ruining the boards, by making these threads more important than the quality ones that are made everyday by strong contributors.

Please, only put in titles that are in relation to your work in that thread. We don't need to see big bold, capatalized letters, we feel like somebody is screaming at us.

We don't need to be mislead into a thread and then realize it really isn't about anything other than the author wanting to get some attention for an idea that makes no sense and has no sources.

The philosophy section and ATS Skunkworks aside, it's imperative that we keep the boards clean of clutter and the nuisance of misleading thread titles.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Title

Edit To Add: I should also add that I myself an guilty of this, but have learned since that we really are hurting our overall image when we have inflamatory and non-relevant titles.

Edit To Add: I invite all members who post threads on a weekly basis to give us their thoughts on thread names and how to make them effective.

~Keeper

[edit on 3/24/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is something I believe is inherently important over all at ATS.

The thread title needs to speak to what exactly is going on within.

Now, some people can use ingenious ways to get people's attention, however some of this cheap ploy for attention is nothing other than charlatanism.

I have seen many threads in which the title was completely misleading.

I'm not going to name any specific ones but those people know what they are.

I usually name my threads in segments, using this to broaden the range, in a way to speak on multiple topics, and how I see them as intersecting.

This is an excellent way in order to gain a wider venue for people to become interested.

I could literally throw a rock and hit any topic with three different angles.

Healthcare?

Medical Records, F.E.M.A., and Governmental Mandates.

President Obama?

Executive Branch, America, and United Nations.

Conspiracy?

J.F.K., Aliens, and Masonic Lore.

See how it works people?

Actually speak to the title, and use it intelligently, because it is what represents you.

Think of it as a billboard of what your ideas, beliefs, and thoughts are.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thank you SKL.

Your right, your thread titles, and your thread content, represent YOU.

If you continually mis-lead people into reading your threads, we will stop taking you seriously.

Whether you be a tenured member or not.

We get lied to on a daily basis everywhere else in life, and it really sucks when it happens here on ATS.

Deny Ignorance comes to mind.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I think people miss that their thread is an actual online representation of them.

It is a virtual way of sitting in a room and speaking where others are located.

Similar to a chatroom, but in the instance of ATS, it's chat on steroids.

I explained it to one of my non-ATS friends as a multiple chatroom where thousands of people can exchange ideas, beliefs, and core values.

So, shouting to garner attention, will get you ignored in a regular situation.

It might garner you a second look from people, but ultimately, it will only make people ignore you, so have a clear message, speak with dignity, and believe in the message you want to share with others, or no one will believe in you.

Having been someone who has been online since AOL was $3.50 an hour, I had to learn without the benefit of friends like these ATS'ers, and learn well I did, this is an environment, similar to a meeting hall, or social gathering.

Deny Ignorance.

Obey The Moderator! - Optimus Rhyme

Oh yeah, one last thing, obey the Moderator, they earned the right by following T & C.

If you disagree with the T & C then this is not the place for you.

You signed those terms and conditions, abide by them, or else.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is a real problem, I agree. I would also appreciate thread titles that tell me what I'm going to read. Duh.
Many people do a good job, but it's nice to remind the newer members.

Most of the titles on the first page right now look pretty good, but I've seen some doozies lately!
I sometimes mention it in the thread, but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks for bringing this up, tenth.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Your welcome BH,

Thanks for coming in and placing your comments.

I do agree it's both important to title your thread with what's in your actual OP. We like knowing what we are getting before we get to reading.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more; it has always been annoying, but is getting worse.
To the people who use this tactic, please be aware that readers know instantly what you have done. You are not sneaking anything past anyone.
When you entitle a thread, you must be able to put your content where your mouth is. So to speak.

I've said this before, and here it is again: If you won't take time to make corrections in your posts, please check spelling, grammar, and typos at least in your titles. This has become a pet-peeve recently.

Members with English as a second language are excused.

Except "I seen". Nobody can say "I seen". Thanks.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Members with English as a second language are excused.

Except "I seen". Nobody can say "I seen". Thanks.

Brilliant!

Spelling, well I'm a bit of a language Nazi, but I am the first to admit that I am guilty of various typos. Probably one in the sentence I'm writting right now.

I do my best to check however.

You all should do the same.

Thanks for your comments Lady.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Some of the blame rests upon the news sites themselves.

ATS rules demand users post the EXACT headline. Journalists spin the headline to fit their station's political alignment quite often.

Unless ATS stops enforcing this rule, it sometimes isn't the users' fault.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Some of the blame rests upon the news sites themselves.

ATS rules demand users post the EXACT headline. Journalists spin the headline to fit their station's political alignment quite often.

Unless ATS stops enforcing this rule, it sometimes isn't the users' fault.

The only forum that requires that rule is the BAN forum and I think the Breaking Political News Forum.

All the others you are free to write what you want.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I sincerely applaud your sentiment here.

One of the best tools anyone has to find out what people think or know about a topic of interest is a well-worded thread title.

In the Breaking News sections, our members don't have the freedom to deviate from whatever the media source used as a title. This is an important restriction for numerous reasons, and many chaff against the practice because, as we become more and more seasoned to how the MSM works, we can begin to see how they couch terms and phrases to do precisely what we must refuse to do here.

People come here to communicate, and sometimes the urge to be creative and compelling in a thread title overcomes better judgment. It is forgivable as long as it is not blatant and completely disingenuous.

Titles like "You are all losers" or "[Insert group of people here] are evil." are likely to start off your thread in such a manner as to make many avoid it; or only contribute an angry retort. Facetious titles like "Don't you think [insert proper noun] is an idiot?" and "I know the ultimate secret of the universe." are just as unlikely to lead anywhere constructively. It is also troubling to see the sensationalistic yellow-journalism-like titles that one might see from Weekly World News ("I rose from the dead as a zombie!")

Those members authoring threads on ideological topics are the most likely to fall prey to the temptation to 'bait.' But we all see that it is quite easy to become over-zealous about almost any topic; political, religious, philosophical, or otherwise.

At one point, I considered amassing a list of examples - but there were so many I would have ended up as a not-so-respected foe to over half the board. We have all done it.

All I ask, as a member and a Mod, is that before creating the thread title each member ask themselves what they really want to say and what kind of responses do they expect. That should guide anyone to be realistic and genuine with the titles they choose.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I agree with you. I've been misled a number of times over the last month with Thread titles that are completely off course from the thread content.

I'm no expert at all compared to lots of you fine people on here, but I think a Thread title should be striking, but at the same time truthful of the threads content.

G.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I'm in agreement with you.

Just wanted to clear that detail out. I've seen threads in BAN where the poster is accused of misleading.

When it was the rules that forced said member of being misleading.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

I thank you for pointing it out, I had not thought of it initially.

And yes some will claim that the BAN forum is somewhat misleading, but as you said, we can blame the media for that one.

Don't shoot the messenger, shoot the message.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is a thread worth promoting. You get a flag from me.
Your advice is sound, but I wonder how long it will be heeded. Hopefully it will be for a good long while, but I am sure that with the influx of new members everyday, that we'll have to have threads like this from time-to-time.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

Having been someone who has been online since AOL was $3.50 an hour, I had to learn without the benefit of friends like these ATS'ers, and learn well I did, this is an environment, similar to a meeting hall, or social gathering.

Weren't they grand days? I can't say I remember AOL being $3.50 an hour, but I still had to pay through the nose for my dial-up here in the UK.

I can still recall the painfully long time it took to get my 14.4kbps modem to connect, and the joy it was of finally being able to afford a 56k modem.

Ah, these youngsters these days, they don't know what they missed.

Now, back to topic...

Sorry about the off topic post, but I couldn't resist following that one up!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

We could ask some Mod to OT it, but then everyone who sees it will think you called someone a jerk or something.

Oops - I OT'd too!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
All my threads come straight from news articles. I use the headline that is in the article. Sometimes it is shrill and misleading; that's not my fault.

I also always provide a link so the MODs can see that I'm not just grandstanding.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
All my threads come straight from news articles. I use the headline that is in the article. Sometimes it is shrill and misleading; that's not my fault.

I also always provide a link so the MODs can see that I'm not just grandstanding.

There is nothing wrong with that practice at all. It seems a most prudent way to approach the OP. Besides, even if you recognize the title is 'off' there's no reason you can't incorporate the observation in your opening post.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Great thread. Definatley good advice. Also one that may help out especially with newer members, especially in unexplained phenomena categories (i.e. Aliens/UFOs, Paranormal etc.), When titling your thread try and leave the terms 100% proof, Absolutely real evidence, you can't fake this pic or vid, et al. If you do want alot more objective reaction, these things can cause an almost immediate bias and even cause alot of peopl to just skip right on past. Too many of those types of threads are YT hoaxes or misidents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join