It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA projects 2010 will (likely) be the hottest year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

NASA projects 2010 will (likely) be the hottest year

voices.washingtonpost.com

not only does a new NASA draft analysis predict that 2010 will likely set a new global temperature record, but it also projects that it is "virtually certain" that a new 12-month running mean global temperature record will occur sometime this year.

Part of the projection rests on the continued presence of a moderate El Niño, which is a natural climate event characterized by unusually warm water in the equatorial Pacific Ocean. El Niño has long been known to boost average global temperatures b
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
data.giss.nasa.gov

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

NASA's projection, which is in the form of a lengthy and technical paper that is publicly available here:
data.giss.nasa.gov...

I want to read this entire article, should be fun!

Is El Niño really as important as they make it, or is this just a new way to re-ignite the global warming?

Thoughts ATS? It's hard for me to comment as I want to read the .pdf first and catch up on El Niño and what's that all about.

voices.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Great, and my tan is the LAST thing i really care about.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Gee, how is that prediction working out for them?

We are 1/4th of the way through the year, we just had record snowfalls in the Midwest, Spring has not hit the Gulf Coast yet, Europe is coming off an extremely hard winter, water temperatures in the Gulf and the Atlantic are unseasonably cool, Manatees are still dying from exposure.

So, I guess they are predicting that the remaining 9 months of this year will be so Hot that it will overcome an extremely cold start and cause the average for the year to be a record? Are we looking at 110 degree summer days?

I don't think so, I think we are looking at a study that got published a little too late, and just looks silly at this point. This was supposed to have come out before all the Cap and Trade debates.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Just more BS to try and get people back on the AGW bandwagon, which in my opinion suffered a deathblow with the release of the climategate emails. Coming off of a very cold and harsh winter I am going to lean towards a more mild summer. Man's ability to predict the weather is still pretty poor.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I've heard this prediction from 3 separate sources. But NASA? Knowing what fibbers they are, it'll probably be cool. Look at sunspot activity and how little it is and has been for well over 12 months yet NASA are predicting dreadful solar stuff in 2012. Down here, we can't predict the weather beyond a week, can't predict earthquakes AT ALL, or volcanoes, let alone Planet X or whatever.

mclinking

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
NASA says it will likely be the hottest year, so that makes me think that it will probably be colder than normal.

I swear, every time someone (an agency, a person, whomever) says that it will hotter than normal, it is colder, and when it should be colder than normal, its hotter.

Or, we are getting into a pattern of weather extremes - really cold winter but really hot summer. Damn, the summer where I live is normally way too hot.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a bit of poking around and I found these facts from the NASA GISS:

2000-2009 was the hottest decade recorded in history
2009 was the second hottest year recorded
Jan 2010 was the hottest month recorded

Winters are warmer than usual (yes, going from an average of 5F to 20F still makes snow...and alot more snow actually.

The counter argument to these hard coded historical researchable facts is:
Some internet people, a political party in the US, and corporations that coincidently lobby that political party...and talking heads on TV that represent that political party deny whats going on because it still snows in winter in some places.

Hmm...global scientists and researchable facts, or some politicians...tough call on who to believe here.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I've heard this prediction from 3 separate sources. But NASA? Knowing what fibbers they are, it'll probably be cool. Look at sunspot activity and how little it is and has been for well over 12 months yet NASA are predicting dreadful solar stuff in 2012. Down here, we can't predict the weather beyond a week, can't predict earthquakes AT ALL, or volcanoes, let alone Planet X or whatever.

mclinking

can't predict earthquakes AT ALL

Please see:

solar-center.stanford.edu...

news.bbc.co.uk...

More technical paper:

tao.cgu.org.tw...

HAARP? naw..... couldn't be an earthquake detector. On second thought Alaska has earthquakes daily.

hasnt the sun been warming for awhile now? "icecaps on mars receding", "2012 peak of solar maximus"

i think it depends on where you live if it will be hot or cold. more "heat energy" added to the planet needs to be dissipated by the atmosphere. massive fronts of warm air naturally bring massive cold fronts with it. so some places will experiance higher than normal temps and others will experiance lower than normal temps.

The Earth and Mother Nature have seen worse things than just human free will. They will survive well past the moment we lose hope for them.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It seems to me that even though we've had large snowfalls here...it's different. I mean even 10 years ago, we weren't getting this. Maybe it's all building up to some freak storm?

And I recently heard that summer this year, is going to be the hottest? We'll just have to wait now.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
but it also projects that it is "virtually certain" that a new 12-month running mean global temperature record will occur sometime this year.

How does one spell Falsified Data on the Horizon..?

I don't doubt global warming but its all too convenient.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
And I recently heard that summer this year, is going to be the hottest? We'll just have to wait now.

You are English yea?

Remember the same prediction last year?

Didn't come true lol

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

For every "Warming" scientist there is exactly one scientist that refutes it. The NOAA has a huge research center right here in Tallahassee and among their Graduate students, interns, and professors, you will find every possible conflicting theory possible.

In my post, I did mention snowing, but I also mentioned low Ocean temps and wildlife problems. Last summer the Gulf Coast was 5-10 degrees cooler than our recent average. Near Panama City and Carrabelle, it never reached the high 80's and sometimes 90 that we are used to.

Also, you have to give some credit to local people, Almanacs, and general experience. Here in N. Florida, I have heard from literally 100's of people that this is the coldest winter they have experienced in 40 years or more.

Personally, I think we are repeating a cycle more in line with the late 1700's. I would expect colder, snowier, icier winters and cooler summers. Of course all those scientists you mentioned will blame this on the process formally known as "Global Warming" and now known only as a Climate shift, because their data is all mixed up and inconclusive!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

For every "Warming" scientist there is exactly one scientist that refutes it. The NOAA has a huge research center right here in Tallahassee and among their Graduate students, interns, and professors, you will find every possible conflicting theory possible.

In my post, I did mention snowing, but I also mentioned low Ocean temps and wildlife problems. Last summer the Gulf Coast was 5-10 degrees cooler than our recent average. Near Panama City and Carrabelle, it never reached the high 80's and sometimes 90 that we are used to.

Also, you have to give some credit to local people, Almanacs, and general experience. Here in N. Florida, I have heard from literally 100's of people that this is the coldest winter they have experienced in 40 years or more.

Personally, I think we are repeating a cycle more in line with the late 1700's. I would expect colder, snowier, icier winters and cooler summers. Of course all those scientists you mentioned will blame this on the process formally known as "Global Warming" and now known only as a Climate shift, because their data is all mixed up and inconclusive!

And why should they all agree? scientists disagree all the time.
But certain places you list being colder than usual doesn't mean global warming isn't happening, global warming is gradual and slow, like evolution, just not millions of years slow.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Originally posted by BlackPoison94

You are English yea?

Remember the same prediction last year?

Didn't come true lol

Yep I live in the UK.

Oh yeah. Haha. Never trust these 'Falsified Data on the Horizon' as you said

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestyka

Re 'can't predict earthquakes at all' was said on Euronews by a professional seismologist. You produce guys saying they can, but show me, show me any accurate quake prediction. Then I shall bow down and worship him.

mclinking

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

For every "Warming" scientist there is exactly one scientist that refutes it.

It doesn't matter what people say is going to happen, what matters is looking at what happened.
The facts are the facts...hottest decade, hottest month, hottest year, etc...these are facts no matter how you try to spin them.

Now you can argue that that doesn't mean global warming...the first symptom of climate destablisation isn't going to happen because Jesus said it wouldn't or whatever...but you cannot ignore the past data.

from that liberal trash rag called CNN:

Human-induced global warming is real, according to a recent U.S. survey based on the opinions of 3,146 scientists. However there remains divisions between climatologists and scientists from other areas of earth sciences as to the extent of human responsibility.

incidently, the term liberal now refers to anything not spouting pure far right talking points..as per todays standards of destroying the english language.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I live in northern Arkansas. It was much the same here. We only had 25 days where the temperature hit 90 last year, and 15 of those were in June. We usually have about 40-50, but the number has actually declined every year since hitting 53 in 2005 (I don't know what the actual record is). On top of that, we got about three times as much snow as usual.

Granted, it wouldn't surprise me if this year ends up being horribly hot, but a person is going to have a hard time convincing anyone around here that last year was the hottest on record. It wasn't even close for us.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by vor78]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I guess we will have to wait and see. If indeed it were the hottest decade on record, and it came at a time of low Solar Activity, then as the activity of the sun is now heating up, it will surely intensify a Global Warming trend. If all of that data can be trusted, then it is a safe bet that 2010 will be a record Hot year!

Now, on the other hand, you and all the others that believe this data have to admit that if the Sunspot and Suncycle activity continues to increase as it should and if the Oceans do not show increasing temperatures, and if 2010 is not a record Hot year, that the previous data must be wrong?

Deal?

If 2010 is a record hot year, I will admit that the theory of Man-made Global Warming may have some significant data and facts worth considering, but if 2010 is a very cool year as it has started off to be, then I expect some of you to jump ship and start questioning the official data!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
"nasa projects..."

say no more im already laughing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join