It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
One thing that has always fascinated me is the concept of A.I. The ability to create the most priceless and complex of machinations, the human mind, is just astounding.

Given that, can it be done? Considering the human mind has so many variables, it seems impossible. So how much of a state of intelligence can be achieved?

And what is A.I. useful for?

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

And what is A.I. useful for?

GAMES, you cant have good games with out a good A.I. They would be no funn.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well, there's people simluating neuron interaction ... Neural Networking. I think that's the closest you'll find unless you're looking for programs written to pass the Turing test.

I think you'll find that most "AI" is very domain-specific (game AI, etc.) and can only mimic human behavior (and not always well) for the one task they have been designed for.

[Edited on 2-6-2004 by Enki]

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The only thing that I can remember up to this point concerning AI is the new robot in japan that has artifical lungs and can walk. I think its powered by honda? You have probably seen the commercial where a robot comes out of a garage and waves to people passing by.
I think the next major development will be gps/phone communications with updated information 24/7 (onstar)

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
spittincobra, i think you are slightly mixed up

AI in games is NOT artificial intelligence, it is still programmed (c++) by some dude and controlled using a limited set of actions.

Actual artificial intellegence has not been 'created' (as far a WE know) yet, but experiments are being performed using 'neural networks'.....

check these out
www.links999.net...
www.cs.stir.ac.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
you might find this thread interesting

www.abovetopsecret.com...

there are some links to some "intelligent" computers that you can converse with

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
To use the human mind as a model is futile, being that most only use a small portion of cognitive power, thus, A.I. that can expand upon the human model of intellect and supercede its predecessors in being MORE than its human initiators is where it will be useful. Anything that can utilize, incorporate and surpass human intellect IS superior to human intellect. Period. To argue this would be merely...human.

dz

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I've been a programmer since I was 6 and have done my fair share of AI.

There are many reasons as to why some people fail at AI. Many programs that I've seem claim to have AI built in, yet the program isn't really thinking moreso than it is just reacting to a pre-programmed event.

You tell the program that if it see's the color blue, that it should jump. Typical programmer puts in:

if (color == blue) [ jump(); ]

That's not AI.

It's not that the brain has 'variables' per se. The beauty has to lie in its simplicity.

I was working on an entry for the Darpa Grand Challenge and my job was programming. My job was basically to have the computer decide which path was best without hitting anything using the data provided. Most people would call that AI; I'd just call it clever programming.

All those enemies and bots you have in games are just that; clever programming. They're pre-programmed to know that if you're (x,y,z) away from it, then take into consideration a,b,c and compensate for d,e, and formulate the next move. That's not thinking; it's just the programmer telling it what to do.

Have the programmer go up against his own bot and I bet he'll win most every time because he knows what the bot's going to do next.

dz

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by foxtrot_uniform
The only thing that I can remember up to this point concerning AI is the new robot in japan that has artifical lungs and can walk. I think its powered by honda? You have probably seen the commercial where a robot comes out of a garage and waves to people passing by.
I think the next major development will be gps/phone communications with updated information 24/7 (onstar)

That's not AI. That's as far from human as anything can get.

Have you seen that thing walk? With every move, it calculates its center of gravity and adjusts for that. That's not human. Humans just catch themselves falling with their feet.

You want to see a more human robot? Check this out: www.robosapienonline.com...

I got one of those a couple weeks ago. It walks just like a human does: by catching itself falling. Not by calculating each precise step.

Look up the name 'Mark Tilden'. He makes neat little robots.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The majority of the conversation programs are based on a Markov chain. Unfortunately the majority of hte links that google comes up with are very math-heavy.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Hi all!!

A good place to start researching AI is Fuzzy Logic. This site lists lots of interesting information including AI FAQ's

Happy reading!!

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
What if, (sorry choice is THE defining variable) the programmer as you call them, feeds its little A.I. project with more data, information and...code...than he or she themself possess to create a being with MORE characteristics, variables and systemic properties than they have giving it the ability to discern realities, choices and variables with more accuracy, attention to detail and the higher functions that the human brain cannot yet access or even prove worthy enough to grasp...is it not then Intelligence not Artificial, just superior....then again humans do not understand the absolute nature of the words they speak or write do they....

dz

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Lucifer

How is a programmer going to program something that is so high above humans, when the programmer doesn't even know what it is?

Do you understand now the meaning of AI? AI has to be something that learns on its own, not something that is preprogrammed.

Like I said, beauty lies in simplicity. All those that think they want to try their hand at AI programming should remember that.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
They did: Love. So simple in its ultimate potency it even supercedes its own limits as a word to encompass THE REASON to carry on. Friend I understand A.I. all too well. I am, am I not...
What am I that I am, what are others that they are...artificial, define it please...for if it thinks and it is then what pretel is artificial about it...we must see beyond words to initiate truth in meaning.

dz

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
What does Love have to do with anything I wrote? I dont understand you..

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Can we ever achieve A.I.? Can we create something like Daedelus from Deus Ex?

dz

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Can we ever achieve A.I.? Can we create something like Daedelus from Deus Ex?

In time, one can achieve anything.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Love fundamentally is the only thing I can conceive of being of value unto being itself.
A.I. fundamentally without love is a dangerous and unstable foundation. What other pursuit and reward offers more SIMPLE LOGIC....as an end to a means ultimately, is all I was saying.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
AI will not be possible due to the lack of memory a computer can store....a hard drive today can only hold 60GB and our brains can hold a trillion or more.....we can learn so can computers but they can only learn a limited amount of stuff....

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
hrrmmm, interesting thread, check this bit of info out. This is serveral computers, compared in processing power.

-Typical PC-

CPU: p4 3.06GHz
FLOPS: 3.06 gigaflops
RAM: 1GB
STORAGE CAPACITY: 120GB
POWER CONSUMPTION: 200W
SIZE: FITS ON DESK

-Earth Simulator-
CPU: Vector CPU 500MHz
FLOPS: 40 teraflops
RAM: 10TB
STORAGE CAPACITY: 1.6PB
POWER CONSUMPTION: 20kW
SIZE: Fits on 4 tennis courts

-Human Brain-
CPU: 100 Giga neurons
FLOPS: 0.1 to 10 petaflops
STORAGE CAPACITY: 10-100TB
Power CONSUMTION: 23.3W
SIZE: fits in bucket

FLOPS stands for floating point operations per second..
Well, computers these days are nearly up to processing equivelent of the brain, but that doesnt mean they are "intelligent". Also the computers getting near human brain performance are the size of 4 tennis courts

top topics

<<   2 >>

join