It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fourteen US states sue to block health reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Fourteen US states sue to block health reform

Yes, yes I know that there are many threads on all the BS about the HCR but I wanted to post this article since it is an updated version of a previous one (which said that this would be happening, well now it has!).

MIAMI (AFP) - In a sign of political battles to come, 14 US states filed lawsuits Tuesday challenging the constitutionality of health care reform just moments after President Barack Obama signed it into law.
ADVERTISEMENT

Other states are expected to join the fight against the far-reaching reforms which could place huge burdens on state budgets. Many are also considering legislation to block a provision which requires most people to buy insurance or pay a fine.

"This lawsuit should put the federal government on notice that Florida will not permit the constitutional rights of our citizens and the sovereignty of our state to be ignored or disregarded," said Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum.

McCollum, a Republican who is running for state governor in the upcoming election, said the federal government had no right to impose a "tax on living" by forcing people to buy insurance.

The historic 940-billion-dollar overhaul will extend coverage to some 32 million Americans who are currently uninsured, ensuring 95 percent of US citizens under age 65 will have health insurance.

The lawsuit filed in a Florida federal court calls the reform bill an "unprecedented encroachment" on state sovereignty by requiring states to spend billions on expanding health care coverage to the poor.

"This is not a partisan issue," he told reporters. "It's a question for most of us in the states of the cost it is to our people and to the rights and freedoms of the individual citizens."

Read the full article here

I like how they are bringing up the rights & freedoms of us (the individual citizens) which are being violated. This is the point of it all, but there are obviously many more points which coincide with the issues regarding the HCR.

Other than our freedom to choose being taken away, we are going to be forced to pay more in taxes, and I'm sick and tired of people saying "everything will balance out in the end" - OKAY even if that IS true, how is it fair for us all, who along the way to that 'balance,' may be deeply hurt financially? Where is the American citizen bailout? Why are we being force fed this nonsense when the average citizen is struggling to make ends meet?

I for one am having a very hard time now in life, and I know that I am not the only one. My family is going through the same stuff as well. For example, my father owns a business, health care costs for his employees have hurt him very much, and neither I nor him see this reform helping out whatsoever.

I'm not expert when it comes to all of this crap the HCR will wave in but I do know enough that this is not something I personally wanted to happen, and I know that the majority agrees with me (as seen in recent polls, even on the MSM).

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Interesting, I was reading this not too long ago. I wonder how far they will get before the big pocketed goons come after them for doing the right thing.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Well I have been hearing about the states been protesting against the HCR, but so far the only case that has been reported in the Supreme court as a challenge was those that are against abortion coverage in the bill.

That was the first thing that was filed by a group to be challenged in the Supreme court Monday after the bill was passed.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Seeing as how many states depend on money from the federal government it wont be long before nasty emails will filter out of Washington to the various states and they will be threatened with being cut-off if they persist.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That was the first thing that was filed by a group to be challenged in the Supreme court Monday after the bill was passed.

It might have been filed, but it will take a while to make its way up to the Supreme Court.

Even then, the SC has the option of not taking the case.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
the very fact that such massive opposition exists and is completely ignored, even if its a slight minority, is why this country is in shambles. Obama care has passed, in its undisputed entirety, because of political maneuvering that is completely unconstitutional.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yes I heard about that also. . .

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

I agree, but isn't that pretty ridiculous? You can't even fight for your rights using the 'system' without being bogged down with threats.

The state should always be able to fight against what is going on federally. Why? Because that is the way Democracy is supposed to work. The state has certain power, as well as the Fed has certain power. Problem is, the Fed does what it wants, when it wants, and always gets away with it unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

Funny thing about these lawsuits or attempts to overturn this bill is that they say it is a republican thing.

Well, I don't know about you but I can show many independents and former obama voters who think otherwise.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It blows my mind that Missouri has not filed. I have alot of emailing and phone calls to make....

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I glad to see Florida in on it..

S&F

I put my response in a thread I created.. Well two actually...

good post OP

You can fight for your rights. In addition to calling your attorney general and local reps, you can also file notice in conjunction with the court as a citizen that you reserve the right.

check my thread I would appreciate help clean up and adding to the letter. This so you can send on out to your state AG...

It aint over yet. My ex-wife isnt on for a few more acts...

top topics

join