It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disputed Bay of Bengal island 'vanishes' say scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Disputed Bay of Bengal island 'vanishes' say scientists

news.bbc.co.uk

A tiny island claimed for years by India and Bangladesh in the Bay of Bengal has disappeared beneath the rising seas, scientists in India say.

Recent satellites images show the whole island under water, says the School of Oceanographic Studies in Calcutta.

Its scientists say other nearby islands could also vanish as sea levels rise.

"What these two countries could not achieve from years of talking, has been resolved by global warming,

In the past, however, the territorial dispute
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's pretty sad actually, the waters is like a monster, the more it eats the more it grows. If an island gets submerged than it takes space so sea levels rise even more because of that.
The more it submerges the more it will submerge.

One interesting thing that I learned while travelling is that almost every well known pandit(hindu priest) in India says that all of India will be under water by 2025. Hopefully that won't be the case but who knows.

Interesting how the dispute is over though, imagine if this happened to Jerusalem, how much peace would that create?

I want to visit Venice soon before it dissapears too!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
lol. Global warming ate my island!!!

CURSE YOU GLOBAL WARMING!

But seriously, cant someone who actually knows something about water movement chirp in on these issues?

Ive been to venice. I think its supposed to disintegrate before it disappears.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'll bet you $$ That this was less 'global warming', since OTHER places around the world haven't sunk like this recently (in fact, I heard of an island being CREATED recently), and it's well more due to tectonics.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I'll bet you $$ That this was less 'global warming', since OTHER places around the world haven't sunk like this recently (in fact, I heard of an island being CREATED recently), and it's well more due to tectonics.

Mang thats crazy talk mang

everyone knows melting ice will consume us all.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Yes... I do have these bouts of insanity

HEY! You're not made of Tuesday! *drools on keyboard*

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
AHA!

Myth BUSTED! Not the original 'tectonics' idea, but THIS is probably what made the island sink!

India pumping gas out of the bay!

Global warming my foot- I'll bet the gas being pumped out caused the foundations of the island to go bye bye.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

But seriously, cant someone who actually knows something about water movement chirp in on these issues?

What's so hard to understand about the movement of water? If ice melts, that which was once ice, is now liquid. If the ice is above a land mass, it is turning into water that is in the ocean. Which means... more water in the ocean... and rising waters! The big question is if this is natural or man made. I am leaning on natural, because of the fact that in Earth's history there was time when there was no ice on Antarctica.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

disintegrate? How? did the same alien invaders that abduct people, make paranormal phenomena happen, or sabotage our satelites suddenly decide to start zapping & vaporizing entire islands with laser cannons?

I don't personally believe it. Its a bit too ridiculus. But it just made me laugh when I thought about the possibility.

I just thought of "Mars Attacks" and "the Day the Earth Stood Still." And then I recalled this scene from another film

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The idea that global warming caused this doesn't stand to reason. They're arguing ocean level has risen six feet. If that were true, Venice would be gone, as would beach resorts around the globe. Doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Here's an easy way to show you what happens when ice melts. Fill a glass with ice. Add some water. Mark the water's level on the glass. Cover the glass (so there's no evaporation- plastic wrap and a rubber band will work. Let her melt- and then remeasure the water level.

Unless certain physical laws have been repealed, water SHRINKS when it melts. Both poles are displacing water (with ice), and even if it melts, the world's oceans wont rise more than a few inches.

If this was global warming, states like Fla would be in a panic because places like Daytona would be washing out to sea! (erosion dont count in this scenario)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by imostlylurk

See my link about India pumping gas out of that bay- I am willing to bet the water level didn't rise- but this drilling is causing this mess- Probably not pumping anything in to replace what they're pumping out

[edit on 24-3-2010 by wylekat]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

My thoughts exactly.

Venice is sinking, it has been for centuries. It was built on marshland.

Right on with water, ice and displacement.

I think that the island sunk. Then the global warming crowd seized on the report and lied to us again!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

Now fill a bowl with ice (glaciers, Antarctica) and put a hole in it so it drains into your glass as the ice melts. There is more ice on land than there is sea ice.

This island could very well be a victim of subsidence but there are Pacific islands which are victims of sea level rising. It is happening. Odd as it seems, the levels of an entire ocean do not rise equally.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
reply to post by Phlynx

Here's an easy way to show you what happens when ice melts. Fill a glass with ice. Add some water. Mark the water's level on the glass. Cover the glass (so there's no evaporation- plastic wrap and a rubber band will work. Let her melt- and then remeasure the water level.

Unless certain physical laws have been repealed, water SHRINKS when it melts. Both poles are displacing water (with ice), and even if it melts, the world's oceans wont rise more than a few inches.

If this was global warming, states like Fla would be in a panic because places like Daytona would be washing out to sea! (erosion dont count in this scenario)

Your example is quite flawed unless you add ice cubes above the water line in the glass. Remember the ice that is above the water line is not included in the volume of the ocean. And that is a lot of volume. Just saying. I could go get the land/ice mass total for you if you need; however is easy to locate. Interesting notion that the gas pumping could also come into play. Need more information before I would blame GW.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, your too fast for me.
Thanks for an even better example.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

6 feet seems like a pretty significant disparity, especially considering the location of the island with respect to the location of melting ice.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

islands are not created by plates shifting. plates float and DO NOT include islands

their created through volcanic masses releasing magma and their contents.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

"What these two countries could not achieve from years of talking, has been resolved by global warming," said Professor Sugata Hazra of the School of Oceanographic Studies at Jadavpur University in Calcutta.

Dr. Hazra is the director of the school referenced above, and among his many papers you can find:

1. Ghosh, T., Hazra, S., Sen, G. and Mukherjee, A.D. 2001. Erosion-Accretion Process in Sagar Island, Bay of Bengal in Response to Relative Sea Level Rise. Communicated to AMBIO, Sweden
  2. Baksi, A., Hazra, S., Sen, G.K. and Mukhopadhyay, A.D. 2001. Estimation of relative sea level rise from tide gauge data of Sagar island of Bay of Bengal. Communicated to AMBIO, Sweden
  3. Baksi, A., and Hazra, S., (2001). Environmental Refugees from Vanishing Islands, Conference Presentation under publication
  4. Hazra. S, (with Banerjee, S.) (2000). Outline of an Integrated Exploration Strategy for oil and gas and allied non-conventional energy resources of West Bengal. Proceedings of the VIIth West Bengal State Science & Technology Congress, Calcutta, March 2000
  5. Mukherjee A , Hazra S. 1997: Changing paradigm of petroleum exploration in Bengal Basin. Indian Journal of Geology

It seems to me that this author/claimant/scientist would have known that this island was due to dissapear for years. Which of course, surprises me about the way the information is presented by the article... the word "vanishes" connotes sudden or unexpected.

Also, this source is very tightly related to "Oil/Gas/Energy" matters so I think if they were undermining the foundation of the island, he should also have known that too.

Or am I off base?

"Global Warming" has become an excuse for every expedient political-economic action since Al Gore invented the Internet.

Climates change, shame on us for not taking that into account as we go about our lives beating eachother senseless over imaginary lines on a map.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
India is sitting on a plate that is sliding under another plate (Himalayas, anyone?). Islands sit ON the plate, just like everything else. Gas is trapped under and in the plate- It's like deflating a balloon if you take out something from it (see also sinkholes, collapsed mines...)- Take out the air, and the thing shrinks. I am Just SO willing to bet that's what's happened here. I'll even concede about the ice theory being a little unsteady. The fact that the article I found right on the same page to me is like leaving a giant HINT sign that the 'global warming' theory is bunk- at least in this case.

Only time and good solid scientific procedures will tell.... If I'm wrong, well, ain't been the first time... but if I'm right... I smell someone getting paid to claim global warming to cover the drilling company's behind....

[edit on 24-3-2010 by wylekat]

<<   2 >>

join