It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record numbers now licensed to pack heat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Firearms deaths fall as millions obtain permits to carry concealed guns

www.msnbc.com

Waving a chromed semiautomatic pistol, the robber pushed into the building in the bustling Five Points neighborhood of Columbia, S.C., just before 11 p.m. on April 11, 2009. “Gimme what you got!” he yelled, his gun hand trembling.

Attorney Jim Corley was one of four people in the room, the lounge area of a 12-step recovery group’s meeting hall. “He said, ‘Give me your wallet,’” Corley recalled. “So I reached around to my back pocket and gave him what was there.”

Unfortunately for the gunman, later identified as Kayson Helms, 18, of Edison, N.J., that was Corley’s tiny Kel-Tec .32, hidden in a wallet holster and loaded with a half-dozen hollow points. Corley fired once into the robber’s abdomen. The young man turned. Corley fired twice more, hitting him in the neck and again in the torso. Helms ran into the night and collapsed to die on a railroad embankment 100 feet away.

This is a good article on the topic of concealed carry, it provides both sides of the argument and provides some statistics on the issue as well.

Being pro concealed carry, I take the data as a positive, but wanted to post this up so the members have a chance to read it for themselves.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SaveTheDrama

See the title says it all

Firearms deaths fall as millions obtain permits to carry concealed guns

So why would that be when their are so many more guns out there on the streets??? Simple, these people serious about taking their protection into their own hands sought out professional training to obtain the proper licensure...

The bad guys are still buy there arms out of the trunk of a back ally dealer then pocket said gun without ever knowing for sure if it works...
It's these bad guys who cause the most deaths, not the well trained honest citizens and when the two encounter each other it doesn't often end well for the away team.

PS: Kel-Tec .32... horrible choice...
Remember in the move Crocodile Dundee when he said. that's not a knife?
Well that's not a gun
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afea517c2f01.jpg[/atsimg]
But this Chuck Warner custom, Now that's a gun
dont ask what it cost, if my wife ever found out what I paid she shoot me with it

[edit on 24-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
When you care enough to use the very best.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
A .32 auto may not pack much punch but it served that person well enough. I don't blame him for firing another 2 rounds - a hit to the abdomen isn't exactly a knock down shot.

Of course you're right DB, he should've AT LEAST been packing a .380 or larger depending on tastes, etc. Then I don't think he would've needed the follow up shots and possible civil suits or whatever might come from shooting at a suspect that has already turned to run. This dude could be in serious trouble, especially if he has suit-happy family who think they can get a million dollars because their son was a punk who got what he what he deserved.

"But nobody in New Jersey ever pulled a gun back on me!"
See what kind of trouble bad gun laws cause? Making criminals think they can get away with stickups anywhere they please.

Good one Logarock!
That reminds me that Merlin Olsen died not so long ago...one of the good guys, even if he did peddle flowers.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

That's a beautiful piece, man. There's definitely a 1911 *something* in my short list. Not sure exactly what yet, but what a beautiful, timeless design.

The title of the OP reinforces the saying "An armed society is a polite society".

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

combat commander... .45 acp
truth is this one is not a carry gun but an investment... yeah they can be good investments... this particular gun is valued just over $3,000 if I put it up for sale today. that's almost double what I paid... Needless to say this one lives in a velvet lined case, "Just for looking at"! if my kids really suck up to dear old dad I might even pass it down to one of them...

BTW I know a guy up in Santa Fe who's selling a matching pair of Chuck Warner custom's just like mine... guy must really be hurting for money as that's a two for one sale kind of deal
Matching pair of dream guns

[edit on 24-3-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Of course you're right DB, he should've AT LEAST been packing a .380 or larger depending on tastes, etc. Then I don't think he would've needed the follow up shots and possible civil suits or whatever might come from shooting at a suspect that has already turned to run. This dude could be in serious trouble, especially if he has suit-happy family who think they can get a million dollars because their son was a punk who got what he what he deserved.
[edit on 24-3-2010 by Asktheanimals]

From the article..

Reports filed by officers who arrived at the scene a short time later called it an “exceptionally clear” case of justifiable homicide. Following South Carolina’s “Castle Doctrine,” which allows the use of deadly force in self-defense, police did not arrest Corley. They did not interrogate him. Corley was offered the opportunity to make a voluntary statement, which he did.

Helms’ friends and relatives were left to mourn, barred by the same Castle Doctrine from filing a civil lawsuit.

So, it looks like he's in the clear.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Castle Doctrin elives on in Ohio as well. Interestingly enough, since the Ohio Supremes lent their support to the Castle Doctrine and the Legislature saw fit to relax concealed carry laws, violent crimes have dropped significantly! Like someone else mentioned, "An armed society is a polite society!"

Me, my carry is a Sig P239 in .40S&W. Love the single stack, compact design and infallible reliability. IMO, only a SA/DA is appropriate for carry. A safety would just get me killed.

new topics

top topics

join