It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Why are we continuing to vote, call our representatives, voice our opinion, or even write pointless threads on ATS to vent our disgust? The current and past administration has proven that the will of the people doesn't matter at all. This isn't just about healthcare. This is about the bailouts, and every other closed door deal that has happened. I try to argue to my daughter about why America is such a great country. Is it still? Are we going to find a way to fix this, or are we done?

We can't let the things that have been happening continue. The president having closed door meetings with congressmen who oppose his legislature, and they come out smiling and willing to give him their vote? Are you freaking serious? Does anyone else see a problem here? I plan to vote against every last incumbent in November and in 2012. Probably won't help at all but it will give me something to do for about 20 minutes.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It won't help at all. Regardless of who gets into office they'll still end up working for the same authoritarian/corporatist end.

Maybe, a big maybe, .05% of the time you'll get somebody in who will act as a genuine representative but that one vote against so many won't make any difference.

I came to the final conclusion last night that voting, on a national level, doesn't do any good. I mean, what is t worth voting somebody out of office when they've already done the damage? Take the last big vote out for instance. We're still fighting this stupid terror war and the patriot act lives on stronger than ever. Lot of good that "vote out the bums" move did us. Say it happens again and the dems ge tossed aside for this health care mess. Anybody really expect the thing to get reppealed? Yeah, neither do I.

Stop voting. Start burning things down.

I'm listening right now to some woman who just went off about how the health care plan will save us trillions then in the same breath she mentioned creating "revenue enhancers" then explained them as blanket taxes on everyone.

You're not being taxed into poverty. It's just revenue enhancement.

Yeah, burn it down. Start over.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I am not even going to vote, read my location.

TPTB will do whatever they want to do and call it freedom, choice, etc, but in reality there is only the illusion of choice.

A slave that doesn't know he/she is a slave won't rebel and a prisoner that does not realize they are imprisoned will not try to escape.

No the people do not matter. Our country is run by the lobbyists who have taken over Washington.

Our politicians have not worked for the people for a very long time. They are employed by the large corporations that have bought our government.

Good example, why does a bottle of blood pressure medicine that cost under ten cents a pill to manufacture cost the consumer fifty dollars a bottle?

Because the big phara companies "contributed" to some of the political campaigns and placed people in office who really work for and are loyal to the corporations.

Why in order to buy a house that cost under fifty thousand to make will be sold with a "loan" from a bank at five percent? That is equal to paying five times the cost just to get the loan? Because the banks and bankers own this country.

Charging outrageous amounts for basic needs is wrong and just as much robbery as a thug that takes your wallet at gun point, but people just don't want to see the forest through the trees and so remain asleep and compliant.

and that is my own humble opinon.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I really do believe if you take an honest man, and put him in politics, within a year he will be corrupt and underhanded. I'm not sure how I would remedy the problem, but I don't think we will ever get rid of corrupt politicians until money is no longer in the picture.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier78

A good remedy is starting from the bottom. start local, work your way to the top. if every mayor, governor, state congress act in unison for the people, the fed must follow. We are a union of states, get it? we make the rules. why complain to the people you can't get 5 feet from, when you can talk to your mayor? be the change you want to see.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
There are a select number of states which do not compel their electoral college voters to mirror the outcome of the popular vote, until that changes there is little to no point voting in the following states:

Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia

That is almost half the US right there where the electoral college votes are pretty much the will of those few rather than the many who cast their votes in the popular elections.

As for the bottom up strategy that works to a point, but some of the biggest issues to the country right now cannot be handled by the states because its not in their power or scope of responsibility. They have no say in foreign policy, the funding we give out via shovel to the rest of the world, or any other global issue which we might want changed.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

for the powers that are not under the states control, the states can put pressure on the fed to make the changes. that is where working from the bottom up makes a difference. 1 million people chanting slogans at the white house does nothing. every governor threatening secession might make things happen. us putting pressure on the governors to act accordingly will start the process.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Can you not get your lodge to call other lodges and do something like that to start with,you have said on other posts masons do a lot for commerce /comunity .
so tackle this like wise, its just a thought but you might find fierce disastrous consequences the higher you go if you encounter darkside masons, but locally you masons you have community clout .

when i c interviews on tv lots of politicians senators have masonic rings
You need to rally people with power and bust the doors open

[edit on 3/24/2010 by dashar]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tracer7

While that might work in some cases, in others I've heard of the feds threatening to not pay out to states who resist them on certain issues, in fact I believe this was a tactic employed against states who were resisting the Real ID act. Given the financial situation currently it wouldn't take much to make holdout states buckle when you threaten to cut off the flow of money keeping them operating.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dashar

things have changed alot since the late 1700's. We don't work like that now. I agree that the fix has to come form a community level to start. But short of lighting myself on fire in front of the white house, I don't know what to do.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
But short of lighting myself on fire in front of the white house, I don't know what to do.

The message will be lost and you'll be labeled the 'epidermis bomber' and the matches will be taken away from everyone.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
[edit on 3/24/2010 by dashar]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tracer7

Just because politicians are on "the bottom" does not make them any less influenced by corruption and kickbacks. I live in Louisiana, a state with a rich history of political misdealings and corruption. The only diffenrence between the lower ups and the higher ips is the higher ups are alot better at being shady to get where they are. Its just how the system works bud, gotta love it.

new topics

top topics

join