It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Injection could cure phobias

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Injection could cure phobias

www.telegraph.co.uk

A team of researchers have found that the brain may be able to be 're-programmed' to overcome some of our most basic fears.

Scientists claim that because fear is a learned habit, they could be able to switch off the part of the brain that generates those emotions with a simple jab.
Early tests showed that goldfish given a dose of the drug lidocaine were unable to be scared.

Researchers in Japan say the findings, published in BioMed Central's open access journal, Behavioural and Brain Functions, would be a relief for people who suffer chronic phobias that affect their everyday lives.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
The first thing that springs to mind is if they can switch off the part of the brain that generates fear, what else could they switch off.

The next thing that I thought about was military applications of this - suicide soldiers, programming suicide bombers etc

Lastly, why would anyone WANT to have this part of their brain switched off?

fear can be a good thing, it keeps you out of certain situations, and undoubtedly extends your life span.

People who have no fear, tend to die quite young or get very rich and die quite young.

Thanks, but I'd rather be old and poor...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
what if you have a phobia of injections?, anyway like you say having some fear is a good thing and surely part of our evolutionary process. i can't say I have any phobias, I don't like snakes, but thats about it.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
That's a pill I'm not taking.

People who take drugs like this or Chantex for instance are taking a risk in my opinion.

Do you really have faith in the money hungry drug companies enough to trust they aren't lieing to you or hiding side effects?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous. Firstly, phobias can be 'cured' by the person themselves and a good therapist (or even just a good friend!). Secondly, not all phobias are learned - many are - arguably - inexplicable. While many come from childhood experiences that the person may not even remember, many simply are there, with no reason. Thirdly, turning off fear is not a good thing. Though it actually sounds like they want to switch off emotions entirely. Let the zombie apocalypse begin!

top topics

join