It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Immigration kills Aussie culture

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by Retrovertigo
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I live just down the road and you've never bought me a beer !!!!

And I even helped you out with those Laxettes the other week too *cries*

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Retrovertigo]

The Laxettes were fine man. You just kinda freaked me out with the whole Colonic Irrigation thing! I guess that deserves a beer though man. I've got a coldie waiting for ya!

IRM

haha
I WILL claim that beer one day

On topic tho...To date, immigration is one of the things that has made Australia a great place to live...

However...Given our lack of infrastructure, water scarcity and just plain lack of suitable places for people to live, we need to ensure future migration is highly targeted...

We need migrants who have skills that are in demand, not more hairdressers and chefs...We also need migrants who either speak english fluently before they arrive or are prepared to learn it from literally the moment they arrive...And we also need to make it more difficult for migrants to bring their anyone but their spouse and/or children into the country...

Too often migrants are allowed to bring relative after relative into the country once they have been here for X years or gained citizenship...And more often than not, these relatives have no skills that can benefit the nation, and often they dont, or wont learn english...The nation gains nothing from allowing this kind of thing to happen, in fact it places further strain on already scarce resources and infrastructure....

Apart from genuine refugees, we simply cannot afford on so many levels to continue to allow un-skilled or no-skilled migrants into this country...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Question. (I will form this as a question, because the last time I gave an opinion on a thread about Australia, I was quickly put in my place).

When the U.S. was getting it's footing and becoming the "melting pot", there was an enormous immigration. In Manhattan, these enclaves of immigrants became known as "Chinatown" and "Little Italy". There were neighborhoods of Irish, of Germans, of Russians.

Over time, they became an asset to New York. I mean, the restaurants are second to none! Shopping and sightseeing also good. The people are great, and have come to be good/productive/loyal Americans.

So, my question is: If given enough time, could the new immigrants into Australia, find their footings as well, and become an asset to the country, enriching it's culture?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cool for cats
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's a pity they don't practise what they preach.

The whole nation of Australia is only there because of mass immigration apart from the aboriginies whose culture was destroyed by the white immigrant. And they feel they can now tell other people that they own the land and you can't come in because it's gonna destroy our culture.

Just a bunch of hyprocrites and racists if you ask me.

I must admit when i found this post, i was wondering what the aboriginal newspapers (if they had them) or drums were saying when the white man from England decided to dump all its criminals on their land. Funny how ownership automatically changes to whom ever has the largest numbers, and the poor aboriginal natives get the desert to live in, pretty much the same in the US, IMHO. We in the UK, have had to put up with it time and time again, there is nothing you can do about it, if the powers that be have made such a decision, you have to shut up and put up, pretty simple really.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Console yourself OP that Australia is not part of the EU and therefore the gates have not been flung open to the mongrel hordes of Europe. The Romanians I have encountered are some of the most useless, ignorant, lazy wastes of oxygen I have ever encountered. I cannot stand the state of the UK any more, I have put off moving to Japan for the last year as I have an aging family however in the next year I will be gone. Why should I live beside the lowest of the low, pay through the nose for taxes to keep these useless scum in free housing and benefits. It makes my blood boil

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Absolutely Lady in Waiting

We have a similar experience here with Chinatown, Little Italy, etc...

We already have places like Dandenong (Melbourne) where large numbers of Indians and Afghanis have settled and they have setup businesses, restaurants and so on which are beginning to be enjoyed by all...

I think you'll find a majority of Australians dont mind migration as long as people have skills we need or are prepared to learn and start a business say, and are prepared to learn english quickly if they dont speak it already...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm Aussie and I agree. Springvale in Victoria is a prime example. The place has been over run by Asians, it's turned into China town. It is dangerous to drive there btw. There needs to be control on who we let in this country. You need to at least be able to speak, read and write English. If not we don't want you.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Australian Culture?? Do we have one?
Lots of good points raised, but noone has mentioned the key issue.

THERE ARE TOO MANY HUMANS ON PLANET EARTH!!!!!

We should be looking at a world wide population reduction, not worrying about imigration.
Did you know that the "Experts" estimated that 2000 years ago, the Earths Human population was about 250 million beings. Now what, 6+ BILLION?. WAY WAY too many people, and we are in the position we are in, because of it. The main problem (other than sex is fun :roll
, is Man's Greed.

Anyway, back on topic......
If the English didnt invade Terra Australis, the Portuges, Spanish, Dutch, French, New World Englanders (eg Americans), Chinese, Japanese etc, would have eventually, so to keep blaming the English is a mute point.
Only Sydney Town and Port Arthur (Tas) were basically Convict Settlements, Nearly all of the rest of Australia was settled by Free Settlers, America had spooked a lot of Europeans because of Independence War, Civil Wars etc at that time.
The First Australians (ancient Man), deserve more respect, as a race, than is given them. They occupied this Harsh land for at least 50,000 years, and spread throughout, and basically lived peacefully. Unlike the First nations of the Americas which certainly since white man records show, were seen to bicker amongst themselves, often. Perhaps that WAS a result of white mans interferrence, and they were peaceful before?.

Anyway, Ive lost the plot. Too tired. Someone else can continue.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Oh.. you failed to mention that two of the main (white on color) racist attacks you were pointing the finger with and whinging about on this forum turned out to be:

Dude i've been reading about these attacks for quite a long time now, even before being an ATS member.

You kind of disappeared when that information came out. No apologies for you racial jibes... And getting it Oh so wrong! Yet here you are again hoping that memories are short. Well there's plenty of us that remember your poor form on the forum man.

For your information that thread was full of trolls!
Go back into that thread and you'll see it, it's the ones with the most replies most likely.

You know for that thread I received several V2Vs saying something like "modern i'd love to back you up but judging from the infantile responses you are getting it seems futile", got like 6-8 V2Vs like this.
Eventually after me continuing I got other V2Vs saying things like "why are you arguing with a brick wall?"?

So I stopped and agreed with them.

Truth is I like many of your non-aussie thread related posts, as long as the thread is not about immigration in Australia I normally agree with many of your posts and Dock9s.

Otherwise it is futile to debate.

Here's a new update for you!

c) Illegal Immigrant Indian man on forged visa kills baby Indian boy then dumps the body with his girlfriend. Who needs intruders when someone like that lives in a shared house with you eh!

Thanks for that

I really like how you compared isolated crimes with racial trends, the thread you spoke of was full of them.

we are not on the same weavelenghts on this topic, we can't be on the same page if we arent' reading the same book. I see you as using isolated events with indians involved to try and cloud the events of racial attacks that I see as trends, while you see me as I don't know maybe bias, or you think i'm generalizing or maybe you don't like the picture I am painting with my views.
Who knows, point is it's futile and never-ending.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What has killed the Aussie Culture is not so much Immigration, but very definitely the importation of all Media based on U.S. Culture.

Our C&W bands/singers sound like Americans. Our kids speak more and more like Americans. The music played on our radio stations is predominantly American Street Culture. Our kids dress like American Rappers. Our TV is predominantly American programs, or Aussie replications of such, and has been so ever since I was a child.

We are no longer Bronzed Aussies, we are pale-skinned, increasingly thoughtless neanderthals, gutless in that we do not uphold our most basic of traditions and allow everything to continue on without so much as a whimper.

It's no wonder I plan to head into the mountains when my daughter goes to Uni.. there I will be an Aussie and not have to see or hear the demise of what I once was brought up to Love.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If you think that's bad, you haven't seen nothing yet. In Singapore, the government has been mindlessly accepting immigrants.

The worst part is these new people (mostly from Malaysia, Indonesia, China, India, Philippines) speak terrible English. They overcrowd our public transportation and annoyingly talk loudly in foreign languages.

As a local, I welcome the rich White caucasians. However, I strongly resent having the mid-to-low immigrants because of their ungracious behavior. They also rob our jobs.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cool for cats
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It's a pity they don't practise what they preach.

The whole nation of Australia is only there because of mass immigration apart from the aboriginies whose culture was destroyed by the white immigrant. And they feel they can now tell other people that they own the land and you can't come in because it's gonna destroy our culture.

Just a bunch of hyprocrites and racists if you ask me.

best post in this topic so far a star for you

these people that screem about losing their culture make me laugh aswell considering how they came to be and how they them selves are immgrants or decendents of immagrants.

what nerve do they have to tell others not do something they them selves have done to another culture?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
OP are you aboriginal or of some other native australian tribe?
If not you have NO RIGHT whatsoever complaining about "loss of culture" Australia is a country based on immigration.
Your ancestors emmigrated there.

Why has a *snip* to complain if people from neighbouring countries emmigrate there?
These guys have more right to be there than an invading culture (the whites) from thousands of miles away which not even are part of the southeast asian/pacific ocean culture.

What a hubris.

Mod Note: Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/26/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The yogurt in my fridge has more culture than Austrailia, can someone tell me what Austrailian culture is, Maybe the immigration will liven things up for you guys

Just thought that i'd reply to this post instead of the replies to it.
Every answer that was given to you had nothing to do with cutlure!

my personal opinion is that if a country's "culture" is very new, then the only culture that it will have will be sports related.

I'm sure the lost generations had culture, that's for sure and that's the closest thing to culture in Australia.

Otherwise for all the countries that were colonized by europeans won't have any culture, it's own cuisine but instead will be heavily into sports and fast food. Food will usually have strong ties to corporatism, while countries that have a long long history of culture will have real cuisine and true culture.

That's just my opinion though.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Otherwise for all the countries that were colonized by europeans won't have any culture, it's own cuisine but instead will be heavily into sports and fast food. Food will usually have strong ties to corporatism, while countries that have a long long history of culture will have real cuisine and true culture.

That's just my opinion though.

On the contrary, fine dining in many cuisines is alive and well in Australia, I can assure you...Melbourne and Sydney are on a par with most of the great food cities of the world...

And this isn't my opinion either...Its the opinion of overseas chefs who have visited for events like the Melbourne Food Festival...People like Ferran Adria, Gordon Ramsay, and so forth...

Again, you've demonstrated how ignorant you are of Australia, just like you have every time you've commented on "racist" crimes against Indians...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Funk bunyip

Although I do agree with the OP's policy that if a person moves to another country, they should adopt that country's culture, not impose their culture on that country.

This.

Learn to speak English.
Leave your f*cking baggage at the door.
Welcome.
:-)

So true.
Although a crass way to put the idea across.

I'm especially glad the early European settlers always followed this ideology, learned from and respected the native inhabitants when they first arrived in a new place. They could have denigrated and slaughtered the established culture and its peoples, but I am glad they took the high road of assimilation you mention.

The Indigenous Australian population, estimated at 350,000 at the time of European settlement, declined steeply for 150 years following settlement, mainly because of infectious disease. The "Stolen Generations" (removal of Aboriginal children from their families), which historians such as Henry Reynolds have argued could be considered genocide by some definitions, may have contributed to the decline in the indigenous population. Wiki

Wait what?
Divide, subjugate, rape and conquer?

Oh dear.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm an Aussie living abroad in China at the moment, I've had to embrace the Chinese culture and fit into society mingle with the locals and get out of the foreigner corner in China.
It's this that Chinese have respect for me, because I respect their culture, their ways of life, I don't shame or put down or rub my own culture in their faces. (Like some westerners do over here and they soon find where they belong!)

As for Australia, you could happily walk down the street at night coming back from a BIG NIGHT out, with no problems, but now even on the trains, you get stabbed, knifed, kicked in the head, ect, amazing that all these increased attacks come from new migrants who think human life isn't that important and still adopt their thinking and culture of their own counties here.
Now this is in Melbourne and the people there will know which people I am referring to
In Melbourne there are certain suburbs where the minorities mingle, Boxhill
Chinese suburb. I have no problems with it heaps of culture there, all night eating, it's good to embrace another culture, but they also follow and respect the Australian culture too.
Sunshine and those areas are now flooded with the newer minorities causing havoc, raping women, (if you read some of them say the women are asking for it because they dress too sexy!)

Now the Australian gov is tightening immigration rules, in fact I guy I know here in China who is trying to immigrate to Aus with his family but, is having a hell of a time doing so.

I think controlled immigration is good, providing they can speak English are generally a good person filling a skill shortage gap, no more frigging programmers and accountants PLEASE!!!
Follow the Australian MATESHIP of helping others out for nothing in return helping mates is one of our core values!

[edit on 24-3-2010 by crackerjack]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

the only culture that it will have will be sports related.

I'm sure the lost generations had culture, that's for sure and that's the closest thing to culture in Australia.

Otherwise for all the countries that were colonized by europeans won't have any culture, it's own cuisine but instead will be heavily into sports and fast food.

Wow, it's obvious you know NOTHING about Australia or Australians. Once again you have demonstrated your lack of thought.

Australia = can do attitude, hard workers, ANZACs/excellent and extremely brave soldiers, and Crocodile Dundee.

If you knew anything at all you would respect Australia and Australian people instead of spewing your mindless drivel.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

On the contrary, fine dining in many cuisines is alive and well in Australia, I can assure you...Melbourne and Sydney are on a par with most of the great food cities of the world...

I never said there's no fine dining, did you not read my post?
I am talking about cuisine

There's fine dining in the U.S. too just like australia
There's great chinese restaurants, indian restaurants, greek restaurants and many other cuisines of OTHER COUNTRIES!
Do you get it now?
Good great cuisine that is tasty and healthy, not necessarily just fast food or red meat.

Get the difference now?

And this isn't my opinion either...Its the opinion of overseas chefs who have visited for events like the Melbourne Food Festival...People like Ferran Adria, Gordon Ramsay, and so forth...

go to the melbourne food festival website and click on recipes, there's chinese recipes, asian, greek, all sorts.

you did not understand what I said but perhaps you do now.
New world countries will most have food that is fast food, alot of red meat and have a few of their own dishes that is heavily influenced by foreign cuisines.

Understand the difference now?

Again, you've demonstrated how ignorant you are of Australia,

And you've demonstrated how ignorant you are... Period!

Stop being so defensive

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Oh.. you failed to mention that two of the main (white on color) racist attacks you were pointing the finger with and whinging about on this forum turned out to be:

a) Indians killing & burning Indians over money.
b) Indian burning himself in a botched insurance scam.

Wait wat? Out of 1447 attacks on Indians just in 2007-2008 you only mention 2 attacks [//www.theaustralian.com.au...]. Pretty shot sighted you are without doubt.

By the way do not worry there was a 46% drop in Indians applying for student visas for Australia from July to Oct 31 2009 compared to the same period in 2008, and a total drop of 26% in student visa applications to Australia from all countries (including India) [//www.theage.com.au...]

No one wants to live with backward racists who treated the original people aboriginals in such a disgusting manner.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I never said there's no fine dining, did you not read my post?
I am talking about cuisine

There's fine dining in the U.S. too just like australia
There's great chinese restaurants, indian restaurants, greek restaurants and many other cuisines of OTHER COUNTRIES!
Do you get it now?
Good great cuisine that is tasty and healthy, not necessarily just fast food or red meat.

Get the difference now?

go to the melbourne food festival website and click on recipes, there's chinese recipes, asian, greek, all sorts.

you did not understand what I said but perhaps you do now.
New world countries will most have food that is fast food, alot of red meat and have a few of their own dishes that is heavily influenced by foreign cuisines.

Understand the difference now?

Again, you've demonstrated how ignorant you are of Australia,

And you've demonstrated how ignorant you are... Period!

Stop being so defensive

Your implication was "new world countries" such as Australia had no cuisine of their own, which is not true...

"Modern Australian Cuisine" uses classical cooking techniques borrowed from various other cuisines, which most cuisines do, new world and old...Yet also has its own cooking techniques based on the produce available, and the methods of the indigenous population...And it also uses many ingredients not found anywhere else in the world...

Not being defensive at all...You made a generalisation about "new world countries" and their "cuisines", which I'm more than happy to correct...

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Retrovertigo]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join