It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Immigration kills Aussie culture

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Mass Immigration kills Aussie culture

Mass immigration kills Aussie culture (news.com.au)

TRADITIONS based on heritage, sporting culture and common language are threatened by mass immigration, a leading demographer has warned.

Monash University population expert Dr Bob Birrell has said the huge influx of people with few or no English skills had created social problems in Melbourne suburbs such as Dandenong, Sunshine and Broadmeadows and most major cities were feeling the population strain, the Herald Sun reported.

"This is not a pretty picture," he said. "Social divisions are becoming more obvious and geographically concentrated and certain areas are being overlain by an ethnic identification."

Dr Birrell made the explosive comments in an article for Policy, a magazine published by the Centre for Independent Studies, a right-wing think tank.

In a plea to the Rudd Government to slash the current immigrant intake of 180,000 a year, Dr Birrell warned that the predicted population of 35 million by 2050 would be a disaster for urban living and the environment.

"One would have to wander deaf, dumb and blind through Australian capital cities to not notice how urban congestion has already reduced the quality of life," he said.

[edit on 24/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Mass Immigration is one of the biggest Elephants in the room in Australian Politics. Most people don't want to know the implications of having more and more people enter the country each year. Most people don't want to ask the questions of whether Mass Immigration is having a negative impact on society. Politicians are petrified to mention the issue assertively because when they do they are labelled as racists and xenophobes. The Australian public is continually told to adapt and change to the times as greater numbers of foreigners enter the country.

Dr Birrell has raised a very important issue and although I predict he will receive some backlash for these comments, I commend him for having the courage and conviction to bring this issue to the surface.

[edit on 24/3/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Wow and I thought the U.S. had free speech. If we said that we would be burned for heresy. I didn't realize the Aussies had the same problem we do. Very interesting thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

There's already White Flight in Oz with thousands heading north to escape the multicultural stew

We've had this discussion many, many times on ATS. It invariably becomes heated

Personally, I prefer the Australia of several decades ago

I do NOT 'feel enriched' as result of a multicultural stew which was imposed upon this (and other WEstern nations)

If I had the power to reverse the foulness that is 'multiculturalism', I would do it in a heartbeat

Finally, if there were a referendum tomorrow re: further immigration, I believe Australians would overwhelmingly vote to halt it completely and immediately

If there were a second referendum re: removal of 2 million migrants immediately (to start with) I believe also that overwhelmingly, Australians would support that

Our puppet politicians (in particular the Irish ratbag sell-outs Keating and Hawke) followed by nutless wonders Howard and Krudd sold Australia down the creek. They're rich. Australia has been changed (some would argue destroyed) forever. May those barstewards commence rotting before they're buried and may they howl in hell for eternity

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I have to agree, although IMO it's not so much the influx of more people, it's allowing them to bring their stupid baggage with them.

Aussie has always been multi-cultural but it has been understood right from day dot that if you come here you become an Aussie.
Leave behind the political/religious crap and race/gang wars.
Thats why people come here, for the freedom of speach, the right to choose ones own religion and not be persecuted for their opinions.

That means you learn to fit in, live like aussies, play like aussies, eat like aussies and most of all swear like aussies
but for that you first need to learn to speak ENGLISH.

We are all about integration, not turning whole suburbs into mini separate countries.

Thankfully I live in the country, in my town there are all sorts - british, aboriginals, indians, greeks and italians (to name a few) as well as dinky die aussies and we all get along just fine.

PQ

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I'll have to second this. Sydney is bloody unbeleivable. I dont want to say too much here, but im getting damn tired of living here. S&F

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I could have sworn that the headline for this article was written back in 1788 when white-man was taking the country from the black-fellas...

Seriously though, tough luck. If you don't like migrants, then you better get used to more of them. The Baby Boomers are going to start drawing pensions this year. Something like a quarter of the workforce will be retiring Baby Boomers and it's going to happen within a few years.

The government will have two options:
1) Raise taxes to pay for the retiring Baby Boomers and commit political suicide.
2) Allow more migrants into the country to work and pay taxes.

It's a no-brainer.

If you don't like it, then run to the bush and enjoy your little slice of 'Aussie culture' while it still exists.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by tezzajw]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

post by Dock9

in particular the Irish ratbag sell-outs Keating and Hawke

Nice to see that your racist attitude isn`t limited to just those of a dark complexion .

Keatings parents were Irish , Hawkes were of English extraction ...... both men are Australian are they not !.

White flight .....

Thats how their parents got to Australia in the first place.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by UmbraSumus]

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
Wow and I thought the U.S. had free speech. If we said that we would be burned for heresy. I didn't realize the Aussies had the same problem we do. Very interesting thread.

The Aussies have got nothing compared to us Brits when it comes to mass immigration! Our population has increased by 10 million people in the past 10 years and that's just the legals! Blair opened the flood gates to immigrants and they came pouring in. At least Oz has certain control mechanisms in place. Hell, even I can't move to Oz unless I've got a job over there and a grand in the bank!

Not to mention the fact that any European citizen has an automatic right to move to and work in the UK since the signing of the damned EU Constitution!

I was watching the rugby (England Vs France) in a pub in Wolverhampton the other day. There were actually more French people in there than English. This is not an exaggeration! Also, in my University class of about 200 people, I was an ethnic minority, I'm an English Caucasian! And before anyone says anything, this is not racism, it is fact.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by nik1halo]

[edit on 24-3-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
The government will have two options:
1) Raise taxes to pay for the retiring Baby Boomers and commit political suicide.
2) Allow more migrants into the country to work and pay taxes.

It's a no-brainer.

If you don't like it, then run to the bush and enjoy your little slice of 'Aussie culture' while it still exists.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by tezzajw]

Economically, we need the immigrants. as correct. we have a big chunk of workforce going into retirment.

But i still cant believe some of the rubbish im hearing int his thread. They sounds like they want the "white Australia" policy back in place.

How about this....Prejudice will get you no-where.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Mass multicultralism doesn't work you only have to look at many towns and cities in England and the US to see that crime goes up and quality of living goes down. Its a shame to hear Australia is suffering i spent a year working their when i was younger and love the place.

I guess you could say the mass immigration of British and Europeans 200+ years ago to Australia pretty much ruined the Aborigines way of life so what you complaining at, you could also say the same for the US with the native Indians, do we have a right to want to stop people moving to new lands to better themselves? maybe, but we certainly cant blame them.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
But i still cant believe some of the rubbish im hearing int his thread. They sounds like they want the "white Australia" policy back in place.

I'm an aboriginal and I can reconcile myself with the idea that hordes of foreigners coming into the country and increasing the population does have an effect.

I live in Queensland and we are amongst the hardest hit by this expansion in population. Our roads and towns simply weren't made for this many people traffic and parking is terrible and it's very hard to find a place to rent.

I have no problem with the government controlling the amount of migration. And stopping all illegal immigration into the country.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I have to admit that I'm in complete agreement with the OP.
Having lived and worked recently in Sydney for 7 years, it's amazing to see a city with a once proud Eurpopean heritage become slowly subsumed by the influx of immigrants from the neighbouring Asian countries.
I kid you not but there were times just walking through the city or any suburb for that matter and literally half the visible population appeared to be Asian. Just give it another 20 years or so and you'll be forgiven for thinking that you were in an Asian city when the Asian population eventually begins to outnumber the white population.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
It's because of Australia's immigration policies, I can thankfully post this with extreme pride as an Australian. My parents came to Australia from Italy in the late 60's and became citizens not ling after.

Living in Melbourne does have it's moments, I live not far from Broadmeadows and attended high school there... It was interesting, with a wide variety of ethnic groups it did get heated at times, but back then (over 10 years ago) I must admit it was far from what it has culminated into today...

IMO assimilation is the key, I'm very proud of my Italian heritage but am equally if not more so proud to be an Aussie! My parents taught me about Respect and raised their children with Pride and to give back to this country what it has given them and us, we are Australian's first and will always be. This is the problem as I see it, immigrants in Australia today will not let go of their identity, I'm not asking that they do either, but surely they should embrace their new homeland an as such treat it and it's peole with the respect it throughly deserves, after all, they choose to come here, we simply ask they enjoy the fruits it offers.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm all for immigration... so long as it is skilled. I don't see the point in bringing in unskilled labor... or those who's English is so dire they cannot function within our society. Australia doesn't need the financial burden of imported welfare recipients, living off the taxes of hard working Australians. It's a bad economic strategy... and if anything is going to raise taxes and lower the quality of life, it's more people on welfare with little prospects for work.

More poor people, more crime.

IRM

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The yogurt in my fridge has more culture than Austrailia, can someone tell me what Austrailian culture is, Maybe the immigration will liven things up for you guys

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7even
IMO assimilation is the key, I'm very proud of my Italian heritage but am equally if not more so proud to be an Aussie! My parents taught me about Respect and raised their children with Pride and to give back to this country what it has given them and us, we are Australian's first and will always be.

I'm happy you've come here and been welcome and fit in. I totally agree with your point on assimilation.

I think this illustrates what could be the most important part of our culture, that of a fair go. Where anyone can come here and expect a fairly high level of social equality in comparison to most other countries. You can expect a job, an education and healthcare.

Controlling our numbers and making sure we have skilled labour keeps the system functioning and fair.

We're doing very well right now as a country economically I don't think we should risk the increase in population and I don't want more people here unless we can support them via the existing infrastructure without negatively effecting it's level of service for the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 7even

Great post 7even

I had the good fortune of being looked after by a wonderful Italian lady and family while my mother worked when I was a kid...

If it were not for immigration, I would not have discovered the joys of Italian food at such an early age...

Man, to this day I've never eaten cotoletti as a good as my adopted Nonna made

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The yogurt in my fridge has more culture than Austrailia, can someone tell me what Austrailian culture is, Maybe the immigration will liven things up for you guys

Hard working, good natured, fun loving, caring, care free people.

Call the above qualities or culture, either way, that's the Australia I love and want to keep.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
can someone tell me what Austrailian culture is

I think it is one of tolerance and acceptance. But also one of doing things in a realistic and practical manner. Taking the time and paying attention to the smaller details and doing what needs to be done to make things work properly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join