It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question everyone ignores.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Fall 1694 Drawing from theology and astrology, German prophet Johann Jacob Zimmerman determined that the world would end in the fall of 1694. Zimmerman gathered a group of pilgrims and made plans to go to America to welcome Jesus back to Earth. However, he died in February of that year, on the very day of departure. Johannes Kelpius took over leadership of the cult, which was known as Woman in the Wilderness, and they completed their journey to the New World. Fall came and went and, needless to say, the cultists were profoundly disappointed at having traveled all the way across the Atlantic just to be stood up by Jesus. (Cohen p.19-20)
The beginning of the Millennium, according to Anglican rector Thomas Beverly. (Kyle p.72, McIver #224)
The notorious witch hunter Cotton Mather was the Ken Starr of Puritan New England. When he wasn't out hunting witches, he was busy predicting the end of the world, 1697 being his first doomsdate. After the prediction failed, he revised the date of the End two more times. (Abanes p.338)

1700 The end of the world, according to some Puritans. (Kyle p.79)
John Napier's doomsday calculation #2, based on the Book of Daniel. (Weber p.92)
The date of the Second Coming, according to Henry Archer, a Fifth Monarchy Man. Archer made this prediction in his 1642 book The Personall Reign of Christ Upon Earth. (McIver #158)

It was a little tuff finding some material to answer your question and provide some examples.

In the end i resorted to typing in and Googling three words:
"Failed Doomsday Prophecies"

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

*Sigh* Christian alphabet ?

Your joking right ? Please tell me your joking.

The modern english alphabet is a derivative of Anglo-Saxon futhorc runic script and classical latin. Furthermore it didn't evolve into it's current form until the late 16th early 17th century.

Also which of the multitude of Bible variants are we using ?
So what is this about hidden messages again ?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible

The modern english alphabet is a derivative of Anglo-Saxon futhorc runic script and classical latin. Furthermore it didn't evolve into it's current form until the late 16th early 17th century.

So what is this about hidden messages again ?

Thanks for the conventional refresher on entomology.
Are you an entemologist?
Are you sure you know all the variables to human linguistics?

Perhaps you are 100% sure the name of the City of Las Vegas only means "The Meadows" in Spanish?

Yet take a pole about what most people think of through association, and I'm sure "Gambling" is near top on the list.

Gambling by the very definition of the word is a Vague Guess

What do other posters think of when you think of Las Vegas?
Is "Gambling" on the list?

Las Vegas = Gambling = A VAGUE GUESS.

LO$$ because of a VAGUE GUESS?

LO$$ VAGUE GUESS = Las Vegas

same pronunciation.

Believe what you want to believe, i still notice a connection.

but i don't want to derail a thread, i just see how certain truisms can be extrapulated from what we are contributing to by the development of our words.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Ummm, ok. I can see this would be a fruitless discussion. So we will end it here and now. Rational I can debate, irrational I cannot.

Be well.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

A big one was the year 1000AD. FOr this reason, William the COnqueror was widely thought by many to be the anti0christ at the tmie and his vast ledger inventory of the Kingdmo was hence called the "Doomsday Book". Many people starved as a result of 1000AD. Becuase they thought that it was the end of the world, farmers did not see any reason to plant crops in 999AD, and, as a result, there was mass starvation the next year.

Another is in 1966 when a vast cult believed that the world would end on 6th June. Thousands went up a mountain in Ethiopia and then came down a day or two later to be laughed at by the world.

A famous propjet in the 1960's who prophecised Kennedy's killing made a prediction of the death of the Beatles on one particular flight. At the time it was regarded to have failed, but documents by John Lennon released decades later show that they made the decision to break up the band on that particular journey so, technically, the Beatles as a band did die.

A famous seer in the UK made many prophecies with the final one that the world would end in 1866. People were well relieved when this turned out to be false.

There was a famous seer in the 1930's who made many prophecies that proved true, then one day, she made the startling statement that the Anti-Christ was already alive in the world. She was asked if it was Adolf Hitler and she laughed. She said that he was obviously not as he was clearly so evil. She said that the true anti-christ was super-dangerous becuase he will fool the world and no-one would see him for who he was until the end. She said that he had a "face of an angel" - a likeable avuncular person.

There si a prophecy in ENgland that when there are no ravens in the Tower of London, the walls will collapse, the Kingdom will be lost and the monarchy will fall. There was always ravens in the Tower until one particular day in the 1980's or so. Due to a visit to the vet, there was only one raven left on duty. Suddenly a guard dog broke loose and killed the raven leaving none at the Tower for a few hours. The name of the guard dog was "CHarlie" and the raven's name was Di. Later that year, the treaty formally creating the European Union and technically ending the UK was signed.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Two: Previous predictions of Doom were ridiculous failures, and since they never resulted in world wide catastrophe, they were quickly forgotten.

THIS UTTERLY WRONG.

In 1898, Joseph Robertson had a vivid and terrible dream. It so affected him that he wrote a novel based on it called "Futility".

In Futility, the world's biggest ship called the SS Titan, 800 feet long with 40,000 horse power engines, and filled with 3,000 of the greatest of nobility and wealthy tycoons, hits an iceberg at 25 knots on her starboard front bow on an April night at nearly midnight. Despite being "unsinkable" with 19 watertight compartments, she sinks with terrible loss of life as she only has 24 lifeboats.

In 1912, 14 years later, the world's biggest ship, the SS Titanic, 882.5 feet long with 46,000 horse power engines, and filled with 3,000 of the greatest of nobility and wealthy tycoons, hits an iceberg at 22.5 knots on her starboard front bow on an April night at 11.40pm. Despite being "unsinkable" with 16 watertight compartments, she sinks with terrible loss of life as she only has 20 lifeboats plus experimental 4 inflatable dingies.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by airvicemarshal]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noncompatible

Ummm, ok. I can see this would be a fruitless discussion. So we will end it here and now. Rational I can debate, irrational I cannot.

Be well.

I've authored a thread on this subject, and received much applause for.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I provide hundreds of examples of there being truisms encrypted and encoded in the words, as do other ATSers. I'm far from alone on this view, and their is absolute evidence that ancient scribes, and even texts in the bible, that were encoded thousands of years ago. Google "Atbash Cypher" for one. It's an ancient way of encoding.

But, we are both right about it being off topic for this thread. On that we can agree.

Sorry xxshadowfaxx, back k to topic...

Peace,
John

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

To make it short, yes, people are now and were in the past, superstitious. Performing ceremonies, making images and idols and even geoglyphs to ask the gods for rain and to vanquish their enemies and all kinds of things.

The Nazca lines were built by removing stones from the pampa. The pyramids were built by cutting and stacking stone. Both were accomplished with large amounts of manpower.

One needs to think that the very essence that makes us human is what ALSO makes us superstitious and have the belief in god along with other like thoughts.

In a nut shell it is our unique (and I truly mean unique) ability to think and live within the abstract. To argue against and fight all this is to go against what makes us all human. For those who think they live in the world only consisting of the concrete based on logic are fooling themselves, and if that was the case we would still be in the stoneage at best.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join