It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question everyone ignores.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

Wow. A lot of questions.

To make it short, yes, people are now and were in the past, superstitious. Performing ceremonies, making images and idols and even geoglyphs to ask the gods for rain and to vanquish their enemies and all kinds of things.

The Nazca lines were built by removing stones from the pampa. The pyramids were built by cutting and stacking stone. Both were accomplished with large amounts of manpower.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Those are only theories. Why do you have to go into every thread, and lay down the law? Why does your word, have to be the truth? Every thread I've seen you post in, you say how it is, and anyone who disagrees is automatically wrong. Your answer about the nazca lines, doesn't even make sense. How did they make perfect shapes viewable from the air..... How would they even know what they were doing? The pyramids, are aligned with orions belt, and the great pyramid equals the great ratio, of the earth, and pi. Not to mention the same pyramid layout is in mexico, when supposedly the two civilizations never had contact with each other. But yet, they both do the exact same thing? Seems a little more than superstition to me. Seems to me like they saw something, like they observed something, and they built these monuments from their observations. Take the zodiac for example, the earth is moving through each of those constellations, and they knew this, and they knew how long it would take to go through each one. Why did they care? How did they do the math of such things? Why is the zodiac in every single civilizations known to man, including our modern day society? Superstition? BS. There is some background to whatever they wanted to tell us, ancient knowledge. Is it so hard to believe that the earth can be affected by the huge universe it exists in? And they maybe they discovered this, and were able to determine when and how, by using something like, the zodiac perhaps? They built amazing things due to the wonders of the sky, there are forces at work, that we today, don't understand. But they did. To call them superstitious and ignore them, is ignorant.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

What I say isn't the law. Unless I say otherwise, it's my opinion.

I don't ignore the past. It fascinates me.

It doesn't surprise me that ancient people were able to watch the seasons pass and mark the movement of the stars (yes, that is what the zodiac marks, the seasons).

It doesn't surprise me that they found the seasons important. Their lives depended on knowing when one started and another began.

It doesn't surprise me that they looked for reasons in random events and tried to predict the future. It doesn't surprise me that they weren't any better at it (except for knowing when to plant) than the fortune teller down the street.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
reply to post by Phage

Your answer about the nazca lines, doesn't even make sense. How did they make perfect shapes viewable from the air..... How would they even know what they were doing?

It is called Geometry and Astronomy. Strange and mysterious magic. They started by aligning two distant sticks with certain stars, as they arose above, or fell below the horizon. From these base lines they used the arcane mysteries of basic geometry to plot out the "Geoglyphs" we see today. The lines were designed to be an observatory method, to point to the location on the horizon where the sun and other celestial bodies rose or set at specific times of the year. They still work in this function today. Isn't math and astronomy fun!!

If we were only able to uncover this mysterious magic called Geometry and Astronomy, we would be able to recreate the Nazca lines ourselves, or even draw new ones. Sadly only simple agricultural societies were able to carefully observe the heavens and to understand basic math, something we can not do today.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Hit the wrong key, and I don't know if this posted already, anyway...
The trouble with 2012 and any other predictions is that everyone has an opinion that is to be taken as gospel fact and can not to be questioned. Most choose to believe in the standard "nothing will happen in 2012" or we all wake up in 2013 loving each other--- grrrross!

Anyway, I make the thing known as Frank's box, or the Ghost Box (do a google). It's been featured on C2C a couple times. "My guys" say earth is doomed, my guys being my contacts through the boxes. There seems to be a group or level that they claim I belong to, but you really don't know who is talking. From day one of making the boxes I've gotten "Earth Goes Boom", "Earth is doomed" , "it hits the Earth", "monster coming" "big rock coming", "wormwood coming" and on and on. I get this stuff almost every recording I do, I don't ask for it, and rarely ask any questions, contrary to common ghost box proceedure. I've been doing this stuff for ten years now, and mostly I remain intrigued that something talks that shouldn't be there, I'm not that concerned with what it is. I don't document much of these voices as I'm more focused onthe technical aspects, and most of the stuff is rejected by the many that "know better".

One problem I have asking questions is that there is a level that will tell you what you want to hear, most of the time the information is bogus. An example is that a friend and I were getting something about an impact last fall, so we asked when and what questions, and the answers got very specific, and "they" said 100% certainty that an impact would happen, I think it was for August 15th, and nothing happened. Could be the same for 2012, so I don't ask anything, just report what I get if it's clear enough for others the hear. I also look around the web to see what others are getting.

There is another box user that posted some Youtube vidoes where they asked about 2012, and got something similar to what I get.

My take is that you don't have cultures from around the world, seperated by thousands of miles and many years making predictions milenia ago about the same date if it's nothing.

BoxMakerFrank

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoxMakerFrank
My take is that you don't have cultures from around the world, seperated by thousands of miles and many years making predictions milenia ago about the same date if it's nothing.

The trouble is, that we don't have various cultures around the globe making any doom and gloom predictions about 2012. It is all made up. The Mayans for example never indicate that 2012 is the end.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This identical doomsday prophecy was originally scheduled for 2003. The Nibiru thing. oops it didn't hit let's get a new date a little further out and oooh lets coincide it with the mayan long count calendar's end of an age. Then we can milk this thing for the next 9 years.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You do not have to be in an airplane to appreciate the lines; most can be viewed from ground level, even better from nearby foothills. Although there are some 1,300 kilometers of lines and about 300 geometric figures, their construction did not really involve much labor or special engineering skills. Even so, the Nazca lines are remarkable, and we really do not know for certain why they were etched on the Peruvian pampa.

Could the Nazca lines have been a forerunner of the ceque system? Aveni also noticed that the Nazca lines and geometrical figures were closely related to watercourses. Also, many of the lines definitely functioned as footpaths. It was also apparent that the animal figures, which were laid down much earlier than the line systems, were not related conceptually to the line scheme.

Aveni concluded:

"...whatever the final answer may be to the mystery of the Nazca lines, this much is certain: the pampa is not a confused and meaningless maze of lines, and it was no more intended to be viewed from the air than an Iowa wheat field. The lines and line centers give evidence of a great deal of order, and the well-entrenched concept of radiality offers affinities between the ceque system of Cuzco and the lines on the pampa. All the clues point to a ritual scheme involving water, irrigation and planting; but as we might expect of these ancient cultures, elements of astronomy and calendar were also evident." But with only about 20% of them pointing at anything astronimical I doubt that it was a calendar or anything like that.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

You should add the Tunnel of Eupalinos to your arsenal. No need for the usage of astronomy, just geometry.

Interestingly enough "iron gunsights" utilize the same geometrical calculations, but since they were not invented by the strange and mystical "Ancients" they get overlooked.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

It was actually originally predicted for 1998. The woman who made the prediction claimed that the Hale-Bopp comet didn't actually exist and was actually being used as a cover for Nibiru. Of course when the Hale-Bopp comet was one of the brightest ever observed the woman quickly removed the comment about it never existing. Then came the 2003 prediction, after which she said it was actually a ploy to throw off the elite of the world.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
It was actually originally predicted for 1998. The woman who made the prediction claimed that the Hale-Bopp comet didn't actually exist and was actually being used as a cover for Nibiru. Of course when the Hale-Bopp comet was one of the brightest ever observed the woman quickly removed the comment about it never existing. Then came the 2003 prediction, after which she said it was actually a ploy to throw off the elite of the world.

I was flying for the Air Force up in Alaska when Hale-Bopp was at its best position and it was a beautiful sight to see. If any race much less the human race fake it to cover up something else we are screwed at an unimaginable level hehe.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
just curious. i'm sure the believers of 2012/nibiru/end of man believers have heard this question somewhere else but...

If you truly believe that 12/21/12 (or 12/23/12 in some cases) is truly the end of the world as we know it; why are you guys wasting your last moments of life posting on internet forums rather then trying to live it up and do everything you want to do before you die?

sometimes i get the feeling that most people who believe the mayan prophecy actually don't think it's actually going to happen, rather; use it (the prophecy) as some sort of game of danger. like living the danger without being threatened by it for real. just a way to make one's self feel the rush of death without actual death.

there is a term for people like that and i can't for the life of me remember what it is, but regardless...

COME ON PPL! BE HONEST, I KNOW THERE'S A FEW OF YOU WHO ARE TREATING 2012 AS A QUICK RUSH......maybe not all, but some of you do

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

What makes this one difficult is that the 2012 doomsday scenario does not appear to have ever been mentioned before Y2K. For my part , I first started to hear about 2012, after Y2K had passed. I must admit that I have never investigated the Nibiru phenomenon.

So what will happen if 2012 passes without a hitch. Are we going to fix a new doomsday year?

Why should 2012 be treated any differently from the sandwich boards worn by Prophets of Doom , "the End is Nigh" and all that jazz. That year is so close that it is not even worth speculating about. I am actually looking forward to it simply because the repayments of one of my bank loans ends.

I can only hope that those who believe it is the end of the world also have a secret wish to be wrong. Unfortunately, this is not the case and they do want all of us to vanish from the face of the earth just to prove they were right.

The thoughts of millions of people does have an effect on mundane matters. Let's hope that the 1.3 billion people in China don't start entertaining that thought, or we will all meet our maker.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I really wish people would stop talking about the "Mayan" prophesy as it is completely unfounded. The Mayans never once indicate that 2012 is the end of the world. It isn't even the end of their calendar as so many seem to think. There are Mayan sites that talk about calendar dates far beyond 2012. Every time someone mentions the Mayan doom prophesy, they only indicate their own ignorance and gullibility.

Basing predictions on the end of the world based on "Mayan" prophesy is just as valid as basing it on Mickey Mouse. Both are sheer fiction.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

i just KNEW something was wrong with phage lately!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

reply to post by happygolucky

I have done research and I can't find a credible previously predicted doomsday, but all the skeptics say theres hundreds, so post them up. Then I can research it.
What credibility does 2012 have?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You also have to allow for the fact that this is a different age, and information passes from person to person at a much faster rate than it ever did; so it's easy to imagine that with all the Discovery shows about the doomsday claptrap, not to mention Nostradamus and everything else conspiracy and prophesy, that this doomsday is going to be more talked about and known that let's say, the year 1000 panic that occurred.

There's a lot more opportunity for people to create forums where people speculate themselves into frenzies.

We're a bigger, more communicative community that we ever were, even twenty years ago.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

So my question to you is, can you name a few of these previously predicted doomsdays?
...... nor is it in the bible or in any references in history.

So debunkers, here is your chance to shine. What have ya got! Bring it on!

Are you sure the bible doesn't make any references to the date in 2012?

I'm not as convinced as you are.
All one needs as evidence is a Christian Calander & a Christian Alphabet for comparison ... and GO SPELL , aka GOSPEL ...

Jesus called Father "ABBA"

ABBA equated to the alphabet is ...
A=1, B=2

ABBA = 1221 ..... = 12 21 , aka December 21st.

I see a possible Christian Connection to a date prophesized by other Cultures as well.

I see a possible connection.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

So I keep going into 2012 forums or any forum for that matter. And they when the topic of 2012 comes up, skeptics always have one main excuse.

" There have been so many doomsdays predicted in the past, 2012 is no different"

So my question to you is, can you name a few of these previously predicted doomsdays?

So debunkers, here is your chance to shine. What have ya got! Bring it on!

source:
www.abhota.info...

Predicted date Commentary
ca. 2800 BC According to Isaac Asimov's Book of Facts (1979), an Assyrian clay tablet dating to approximately 2800 BC was unearthed bearing the words "Our earth is degenerate in these latter days. There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end. Bribery and corruption are common." This is one of the earliest examples of the perception of moral decay in society being interpreted as a sign of the imminent end.
634 BC Apocalyptic thinking gripped many ancient cultures, including the Romans. Early in Rome's history, many Romans feared that the city would be destroyed in the 120th year of its founding. There was a myth that 12 eagles had revealed to Romulus a mystical number representing the lifetime of Rome, and some early Romans hypothesized that each eagle represented 10 years. The Roman calendar was counted from the founding of Rome, 1 AUC (ab urbe condita) being 753 BC. Thus 120 AUC is 634 BC. (Thompson p.19)
389 BC Some Romans figured that the mystical number revealed to Romulus represented the number of days in a year (the Great Year concept), so they expected Rome to be destroyed around 365 AUC (389 BC). (Thompson p.19)
1st Century Jesus said, "Verily I say unto you, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28) This implies that the Second Coming would return within the lifetime of his contemporaries, and indeed the Apostles expected Jesus to return before the passing of their generation.
ca. 70 The Essenes, a sect of Jewish ascetics with apocalyptic beliefs, may have seen the Jewish revolt against the Romans in 66-70 as the final end-time battle. (Source: PBS Frontline special Apocalypse!)
2nd Century The Montanists believed that Christ would come again within their lifetimes and establish a new Jerusalem at Pepuza, in the land of Phrygia. Montanism was perhaps the first bona fide Christian doomsday cult. It was founded ca. 156 AD by the tongues-speaking prophet Montanus and two followers, Priscilla and Maximilla. Despite the failure of Jesus to return, the cult lasted for several centuries. Tertullian, who once said "I believe it just because it is unbelievable" (a true skeptic if ever there was one!), was perhaps the most renowned Montanist. (Gould p.43-44)
247 Rome celebrated its thousandth anniversary this year. At the same time, the Roman government dramatically increased its persecution of Christians, so much so that many Christians believed that the End had arrived. (Source: PBS Frontline special Apocalypse!)
365 Hilary of Poitiers predicted the world would end in 365. (Source: Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance)
380 The Donatists, a North African Christian sect headed by Tyconius, looked forward to the world ending in 380. (Source: American Atheists)
Late 4th Century St. Martin of Tours (ca. 316-397) wrote, "There is no doubt that the Antichrist has already been born. Firmly established already in his early years, he will, after reaching maturity, achieve supreme power." (Abanes p.119)
500 Roman theologian Sextus Julius Africanus (ca. 160-240) claimed that the End would occur 6000 years after the Creation. He assumed that there were 5531 years between the Creation and the Resurrection, and thus expected the Second Coming to take place no later than 500 AD. (Kyle p.37, McIver #21)
Hippolytus (died ca. 236), believing that Christ would return 6000 years after the Creation, anticipated the Parousia in 500 AD. (Abanes p.283)
The theologian Irenaeus, influenced by Hippolytus's writings, also saw 500 as the year of the Second Coming. (Abanes p.283, McIver #15)

Apr 6, 793 Elipandus, bishop of Toledo, described a brief bout of end-time panic that happened on Easter Eve, 793. According to Elipandus, the Spanish monk Beatus of Liébana prophesied the end of the world that day in the presence a crowd of people. The people, thinking that the world would end that night, became frightened, panicked, and fasted through the night until dawn. Seeing that the world had not ended and feeling hungry, Hordonius, one of the fasters, quipped, "Let's eat and drink, so that if we die at least we'll be fed." (Abanes p. 168-169, Weber p.50)
800 Sextus Julius Africanus revised the date of Doomsday to 800 AD. (Kyle p.37)
Beatus of Liébana wrote in his Commentary on the Apocalypse, which he finished in 786, that there were only 14 years left until the end of the world. Thus, the world would end by 800 at the latest. (Abanes p.168)

806 Bishop Gregory of Tours calculated the End occurring between 799 and 806. (Weber p.48)
848 The prophetess Thiota declared that the world would end this year. (Abanes p.337)
Mar 25, 970 Lotharingian computists foresaw the End on Friday, March 25, 970, when the Annunciation and Good Friday fell on the same day. They believed that it was on this day that Adam was created, Isaac was sacrificed, the Red Sea was parted, Jesus was conceived, and Jesus was crucified. Therefore, it naturally followed that the End must occur on this day! (Source: Center for Millennial Studies)
992 Bernard of Thuringia calculated that the end would come in 992. (Randi p.236)
995 The Feast of the Annunciation and Good Friday also coincided in 992, prompting some mystics to conclude that the world would end within 3 years of that date. (Weber p.50-51)
1000 There are many stories of apocalyptic paranoia around the year 1000. For example, legend has it that a "panic terror" gripped Europe in the years and months before this date. However, scholars disagree on which stories are genuine, whether millennial expectations at this time were any greater than usual, or whether ordinary people were even aware of what year it was. An excellent article on Y1K apocalyptic expectations can be found at the Center for Millennial Studies. (Gould, Schwartz, Randi)
1033 After Jesus failed to return in 1000, some mystics pushed the date of the End to the thousandth anniversary of the Crucifixion. The writings of the Burgundian monk Radulfus Glaber described a rash of millennial paranoia during the period from 1000-1033. (Kyle p.39, Abanes p.337, McIver #50)
1184 Various Christian prophets foresaw the Antichrist coming in 1184. (Abanes p.338)
Sep 23, 1186 John of Toledo, after calculating that a planetary alignment would occur in Libra on September 23, 1186 (Julian calendar), circulated a letter (known as the "Letter of Toledo") warning that the world was to going to be destroyed on this date, and that only a few people would survive. (Randi p.236)

[edit on 19-4-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

1260 Italian mystic Joachim of Fiore (1135-1202) determined that the Millennium would begin between 1200 and 1260. (Kyle p.48)
1284 Pope Innocent III expected the Second Coming to take place in 1284, 666 years after the rise of Islam. (Schwartz p.181)
1290 Followers of Joachim of Fiore (the Joachites) rescheduled the End to 1290 when his 1260 prophecy failed. (McIver #58)
1306 In 1147 Gerard of Poehlde, believing that Christ's Millennium began when the emperor Constantine came to power, figured that Satan would become unbound at the end of the thousand-year period and destroy the Church. Since Constantine rose to power in 306, the end of the Millennium would be in 1306. (Source: Christian author Richard J. Foster)
1335 Another Joachite doomsday date. (McIver #58)
1367 Czech archdeacon Militz of Kromeriz claimed the Antichrist was alive and well and would manifest himself between 1363 and 1367. The End would come between 1365 and 1367. (McIver #67)
1370 The Millennium would begin in 1368 or 1370, as foreseen by Jean de Roquetaillade, a French ascetic. The Antichrist was to come in 1366. (Weber p.55)
1378 Arnold of Vilanova, a Joachite, wrote in his work De Tempore Adventu Antichristi that the Antichrist was to come in 1378. (McIver #62)
Feb 14, 1420 Czech Doomsday prophet Martinek Hausha (Martin Huska) of the radical Taborite movement warned that the world would end in February 1420, February 14 at the latest. The Taborites were an offshoot of the Hussite movement of Bohemia. (McIver #71, Shaw p.43)
1496 The beginning of the Millennium, according to some 15th Century mystics. (Mann p. ix)
ca. 1504 Italian artist Sandro Botticelli wrote a caption in Greek on his painting The Mystical Nativity:

"I Sandro painted this picture at the end of the year 1500 in the troubles of Italy in the half time after the time according to the eleventh chapter of St. John in the second woe of the Apocalypse in the loosing of the devil for three and a half years. Then he will be chained in the 12th chapter and we shall see him trodden down as in this picture."

Apparently, he thought he was living during the Tribulation, and that the Millennium would begin in three and a half years or so, which is understandable given the fact that he is known to have been a follower of Girolamo Savonarola. (Weber p.60)

Feb 1, 1524 The End would occur by a flood starting in London on February 1 (Julian), according to calculations some London astrologers made the previous June. Around 20,000 people abandoned their homes, and a clergyman stockpiled food and water in a fortress he built. (Sound familiar? It's just like the doomsday cultists and Y2K nuts of today!) As it happened, it didn't even rain in London on that date. (Randi p.236-237)
Feb 20, 1524 A planetary alignment in Pisces was seen as a sign of the Millennium by astrologer Johannes Stoeffler. The world was to be destroyed by a flood on this date (Julian), Pisces being a water sign. (Randi p.236-237)
1525 The beginning of the Millennium, according to Anabaptist Thomas Müntzer. Thinking that he was living at the "end of all ages," he led an unsuccessful peasants' revolt and was subsequently tortured and executed. (Gould p.48)
1528 Stoeffler recalculated Doomsday to 1528 after his 1524 prediction failed (Randi p.238)
May 27, 1528 Reformer Hans Hut predicted the end would occur on Pentecost (May 27, Julian calendar). (Weber p.67, Shaw p.44)
1532 Frederick Nausea (what a name!), a Viennese bishop, was certain that the world would end in 1532 after hearing reports of bizarre occurrences, including bloody crosses appearing in the sky alongside a comet. (Randi p. 238)
1533 Anabaptist prophet Melchior Hoffman's prediction for the year of Christ's Second Coming, to take place in Strasbourg. He claimed that 144,000 people would be saved, while the rest of the world would be consumed by fire. (Kyle p.59)
Oct 19, 1533 Mathematician Michael Stifel calculated that the Day of Judgement would begin at 8:00am on this day. (McIver #88)
Apr 5, 1534 Jan Matthys predicted that the Apocalypse would take place on Easter Day (April 5, Julian calendar) and only the city of Münster would be spared. (Shaw p.45, Abanes p.338)
1537 French astrologer Pierre Turrel announced four different possible dates for the end of the world, using four different calculation methods. The dates were 1537, 1544, 1801 and 1814. (Randi p. 239)
1544 Pierre Turrel's doomsday calculation #2. (Randi p. 239)
ca. 1555 Around the year 1400, the French theologian Pierre d'Ailly wrote that 6845 years of human history had already passed, and the end of the world would be in the 7000th year. His works would later influence the apocalyptic thinking of Christopher Columbus. (McIver #72)
Jul 22, 1556 In 1556, a rumor was circulating that the world would end on Magdalene's Day, as recorded by Swiss medical student Felix Platter. (Weber p.68, p.249)
Apr 28, 1583 The Second Coming of Christ would take place at noon, according to astrologer Richard Harvey. This was the date of a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, and numerous astrologers in London predicted the world would end then. (Skinner p.27, Weber p.93)
1584 Cyprian Leowitz, an astrologer, predicted the end would occur in 1584. (Randi p.239, McIver #105)
1588 The end of the world according to the sage Johann Müller (aka Regiomontanus). (Randi p. 239)
1600 Martin Luther believed that the End would occur no later than 1600. (Weber p.66)
1603 Dominican monk Tomasso Campanella wrote that the sun would collide with the Earth in 1603. (Weber p.83)
1623 Eustachius Poyssel used numerology to pinpoint 1623 as the year of the end of the world. (McIver #125)
Feb 1, 1624 The same astrologers who predicted the deluge of February 1, 1524 recalculated the date to February 1, 1624 after their first prophecy failed. (Randi p.236-237)
1648 Using the kabbalah, Sabbatai Zevi, a rabbi from Smyrna, Turkey, figured that the Messiah would come in 1648, accompanied by miracles. The Messiah, of course, would be Zevi himself! (Randi p.239, Festinger)
1654 In 1578, physician Helisaeus Roeslin of Alsace, basing his prediction on a nova that occurred in 1572, foresaw the world ending in 1654 in a blaze of fire. (Randi p.240)
1656 Believed to be a possible date for the end of the world, 1656 is the number of years between the Creation and the Flood. (Skinner p.27)
1657 Final apocalyptic battle and the destruction of the Antichrist were to take place between 1655 and 1657, as per the Fifth Monarchy Men, a radical group of English millenarians who attempted to take over Parliament to impose their extremist theocratic agenda on the country. Not unlike the Christian Coalition of modern-day America! (Kyle p.67)
1658 In his The Book of Prophecies, Christopher Columbus claimed that the world was created in 5343BC, and would last 7000 years. Assuming no year zero, that means the end would come in 1658. Columbus was influenced by Pierre d'Ailly. (McIver #77)
1660 Joseph Mede, whose writings influenced James Ussher and Isaac Newton, claimed that the Antichrist appeared way back in 456, and the end would come in 1660. (McIver #147)
1666 As this date is 1000 (millennium) + 666 (number of the Beast) and followed a period of war and strife in England, many Londoners feared that 1666 would be the end of the world. The Great Fire of London in 1666 did not help to alleviate these fears. (Schwartz p.87, Kyle p.67-68)
Sabbatai Zevi recalculated the coming of the Messiah to 1666. Despite his failed prophecies, he had accumulated a great many followers. He was later arrested for stirring up trouble, and given the choice of converting to Islam or execution. Pragmatic man that he was, he wisely elected for the former. (Festinger)

1673 Deacon William Aspinwall, a leader of the Fifth Monarchy movement, claimed the Millennium would begin by this year. (Abanes p.209, McIver #174)
1688 John Napier's doomsday calculation #1, based on the Book of Revelation. Napier was the mathematician who discovered logarithms. (Weber p.92)
1689 Pierre Jurieu, a Camisard prophet, predicted that Judgement Day would occur in 1689. The Camisards were Huguenots of the Languedoc region of southern France. (Kyle p.70)
1694 Anglican rector John Mason calculated this date as the beginning of the Millennium. (Kyle p.72)
The beginning of the Millennium, as predicted by German theologian Johann Alsted. (Kyle p.66)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join