It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Chilli Grenade!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

Hi.

I grow Jalapenos and Malagueta chillies.....

I had never heard of Malagueta chillies, so when the first one appeared on the plant I picked it when it went bright orange.
It looked like a little bell pepper so I took a sniff and it smelled like peaches.....

Some of the juice must have touched the top of my lip and all of a sudden I was in a panic!!! Hot.Dangerous.Stuff.

"It is a very hot pepper, with a range of 60,000 to 100,000 Scoville units...."
Wiki.

So, I hope I never found out how hot the chillies on the OP are.....

EDIT- Just saw pics of malagueta chillies... the was I grew were not the same!!! But the pot said malagueta.... what could they have been?

They looked like a little peach colored bell pepper (like a peppadew) & the smell was sweet like a fruit... do you know what it was?

I found a pic... www.bbc.co.uk...

Another EDIT- It's a Habanero Scutaba (capsicum chinense)...... that explains it...

Sorry for all the off topic edits..

[edit on 23/01/2010 by jinx880101]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Dang I made my own thread without scrolling down and looking for another, sorry!! But I did try and find it using the search function with "bhut jolokia" but no existing threads were found..

Anyways, we had a medium sized tupperware container of salsa here at work not long ago. The entire container of salsa had 1/2 teaspoon of "ghost chili" powder (according to the person who made it), and it was damn hot. I doubt many would have been able to eat the salsa had it contained a full teaspoon of that stuff. That is one spicy chili!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stephenwephentephen

From the BBC.

Scientists say that awesome power can be used for numerous purposes. Chillis Indian scientists say the chillis will immobilise but not kill people In addition to being used for controlling mobs - in a similar way to pepper spray - and protecting women, bhut jolokia chillis can be used as a food additive for troops operating in cold conditions.

They have also been used on fences around army barracks in the hope that the strong smell will keep out animals.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Many uses for this tiny little thing. I would definitely like to try one.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Did a quick search and did not readily see anything.

Does anyone know if the CS gas used in military training has a scoville rating? I don't think it does, but would you approximate it to on the scoville scale? I can't even imagine because I hate spicy food. Spicy nach doritos are almost too spicy for me.

I don't think this is anything all that new. We used to make MRE bombs with tabasco sauce in Iraq...those damn Navy docs started it!!!

-Nate

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Acid_Burn2009]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

In west people are not used to spices which may explain low immunity against spices.

Lots of people in the West have been eating and enjoying spicy Thai, Indian, and Mexican cuisine for many decades. Its kind of ignorant to fall back on old cliches about what people can and can't eat. They are rarely true and usually 40 or 50 years out of date.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join