It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars as you've never seen it before: The colossal ice walls that show another side of th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Mars as you

www.dailymail.co.uk

It looks like a filmmaker's apocalyptic vision of Earth following a devastating natural disaster. But this colossal ice formation is actually a portion of the wall terraces of a huge crater on Mars.

Approximately 37 miles in diameter, a section of the Mojave Crater in the planet's Xanthe Terra region has been digitally mapped by Nasa scientists. The result is this digital terrain model that was generated from a stereo pair of images and offers a synthesized, oblique view of a 2.5-mile portion
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/3/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yes, I know this is a digital model but still, I think this is beautiful... Too bad I won't see it in person in my lifetime. Looks cold... And, just how many years ago did scientists thinks that Mars was dry and arid??

These 'pitted ponds' are thought to result when material melted by the crater-causing impacts is captured behind the wall terraces.

The portion of the Mojave Crater's north-western edge shown here spans about 2.5 miles in width halfway between the bottom and top of the image. The view is toward the north.

Mojave is one of the freshest large craters on Mars. A survey of its features indicates very few overprinting craters on them, and an analysis of that infrequency suggests the crater may be as young as about ten million years, very young for a crater of this size.

The fans and channels hint that impacts such as Mojave's may have unleashed water or water-ice from the subsurface to flow across the surface and, perhaps, condense as rain or snow for a brief period of Martian time.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/3/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
nasa is its own worst enemy
50 years of space exploration and they still give us grainy black and white photos
its odd how beautiful the photos are that come from hubble

i wonder if nasa will ever start revealing the truth about space
if it was up to them space is so boring and dull

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I wish we could get true-colour images of the planets.
I know the excuse is that "true-colour images don't have any scientific benefit" but COME ON, this is space exploration one of the most amazing things we as Humans have ever done and yet we don't stick a decent camera onto a rover and get photos for aesthetic purposes?

new topics

top topics

join