It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My spiritual encounter long ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
(The story is long, but it connects the spiritual encounter at the end. The beginning info is needed though to understand)

In my early childhood, I was diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression. I was very anxious and worried a lot, and like others with OCD, obsessions and compulsions allowed me a way to escape the worrisome way of life, yet it never worked out too well in the long-run.

One day, a fellow classmate in the first grade brought in a praying mantis and kept it at school for like a week. The teacher elaborated on some of the characteristics of the praying mantis, and I became fascinated with this creature (stay with me folks, I promise it will connect lol). Anyway, I was wondering around in the woods at a house my father was rebuilding when I found one of these praying mantis's camouflaged within a stick. My heart raced and I found a jar and kept it for a while until it either died or I let it go (I honestly cannot remember what happened to it).

Anyway, I became obsessed with the praying mantis due to my OCD and would go out and look for these things. I found them very hard to find, and I would look for hours on end. My parents suspected something was up because it just was not normal to be this obsessed with one insect that really did not have much significance for me, but for me it was a hobby, a way to escape.

The problem escalated one day when I had not found one in ages, and when I would leave my dad's to go back home into the city it became much, much harder to find these things. It became less of a hobby due to my OCD and more of a necessity out of my own thoughts.

Then, one day, it escalated when I was in my backyard. Tears were flooding (remember I was like 8 or 9) and I became very aggravated and distressed. In tears, I said something like "If there is a God, why isn't there a single praying mantis I can find! That's not asking much, just one praying mantis! If there was a God, then a praying mantis would show up and I could keep it!" (This may not be exactly what was said in quotes, remember this is like 14 years ago. This is the gist though)

Then, something flew by and hit my face and landed on the ground. It was almost like a smack to get my attention. I turned in frustration with tears still streaming, when all of a sudden I saw what smacked me in the face. I couldn't believe my eyes. There it was, a praying mantis. My eyes lit up and my heart jumped. I actually get emotional writing about this now because back then I just did not understand the significance and almost forgot about it completely as the years passed.

I do not find this in any way a "coincidence" like some will say. Sure, there are these creatures everywhere, but to find one in my urban backyard was something unlikely to happen; the fact that it ran into me just standing there in the open area on my patio, right after I challenged this so-called God at a young age in tears of rage, and then landed on the ground a couple of feet away on my patio, tells me this was a sign. The odds are way too slim for me to take this as a coincidence. This story alone gives me the proof, and I have had some events happen after this that tell me there is more than just "us."

I haven't had OCD for years since receiving therapy and taking meds for a few years. I run into praying mantis's every great once in a while and they really just make me laugh and remind myself of how crazy I used to be over these simple little creatures. On the other hand, the praying mantis will always be a symbol of epic spiritual proportions for me. If I see one, it will serve as a reminder to me that a greater force is at work behind the scenes.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Subconsciously Correct]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Nice heart warming story. Remind me that good is everywhere and it is always listening to your needs.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I hear you on that man. I dunno about you but I know for myself since I've found religion (for lack of a better way to say it), Not super often, but not infrequently I get moments of when I pray and get an instant answer. Faith truly works, if you believe - He will prove himself over and over.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
What a fantastic story friend!!

There are no coincidences.

Surely, this God fellow was trying to tell you something

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Nice to read such a story

I had an ocurence with a butterfly once when i was about 15 -17.

i was really into obes and meditation at that time and i decided not to speak for one day, i dont remember why but i think it just popped into my mind after i read a book about either meditaion or obes.

So i let everyone know i wasnt gonna speak to them and when my mom called for lunch i walked into the kitched and hit my pinky toe against the kitchen board/closet and i think u all know how much that hurts, so i try to withstand the pain and not to say anything just sitting down on the kitchen bench holding my foot.

When out of nowhere a white butterfly appeared and landed on the tip of my foot so my face changed from pain to surpisedness and my mom saw me looking at her and was astounded aswell then when the butterfly flew towards the window and her boyfriend tried to catch it with her i stood up and shouted to leave it alone and catched it gently and set it free outside.

So yea i believe there is a universal force that guides certain events if not all.

Greets

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Impetus]

Maybe i should add that it was summer and the balkony door was open in the livingroom.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Impetus]

top topics

join