It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Health Insurance Survey: Will you comply?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This survey is generally for people in the USA. If you live in another country you are welcome to chime in, but please state your country if you do that.

1. Does a mandatory purchase of health insurance violate the "my body, my choice" principle? (or another core principle of morals/ethics)

2. Do you currently have health insurance or coverage? If not, will you purchase health insurance?

3. If you will refuse insurance, (a) How large of a fine will you be willing to pay if you are fined for not having health insurance? (b) If you refuse a fine, what if they threaten to seize your house? (c)If you would say no to a fine, what if they threaten to put you in jail?

4. Is universal health care, where a mandatory tax ensures for health care for all, generally a good idea?

5. Is health care a human right?

Edit - added "(or another core principle of morals/ethics)" to question 1 and "or coverage" to question 2 after reading first response to the survey. Added "if you will refuse insurance" to Q3 after 2nd poll response.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

1) No it does not violate my body my choice. I'm not say this is right though. This is more like my money my choice.

2) This doesn't apply I'm VA

4) No this is not a good idea because they were asking if 30 million illegals would be an added burden to the system. They want us bankrupt and they are doin a fine job.

5) Human right, well I don't know. You should be able to treat yourself that is a natural right. But making people pay for your sick butt? I just can't see it.

S&F

[edit on 23-3-2010 by oppaperclip]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
1. No, Im not being forced to put anything or take anything out of my body.

2. I do currently have health insurance.

3. (a) I wont pay a fine because I'm more then happy to be a part of this program (b) answer to A (c)A

4. It is a wonderful idea and should've been done long ago.

5. Absolutely it is, to me anyway. Our country is going to be a much better place for us now.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Response to my own survey question:

1. Does a mandatory purchase of health insurance violate the "my body, my choice" principle? (or another core principle of morals/ethics)
Yes, there is a fundamental violation of morals to require someone to make mandatory purchases of any good or service. Its illegal for you or I to walk up to someone's house with a gun and force them to purchase snake oil, therefore it should be illegal for the government to do so.

2. Do you currently have health insurance or coverage? If not, will you purchase health insurance?
No, and I won't purchase it.

3. If you will refuse insurance, (a) How large of a fine will you be willing to pay if you are fined for not having health insurance? (b) If you refuse a fine, what if they threaten to seize your house? (c)If you would say no to a fine, what if they threaten to put you in jail?
(a) I won't pay any fine levied against me.
(b) I own a car but not a house. If they tried to take it I'd respond with whatever force I need to retrieve it such as by going to where it is impounded and getting it back, at which point I will sell it.
(c) They can put me in jail for as long as they want to.

4. Is universal health care, where a mandatory tax ensures for health care for all, generally a good idea?
No. It is a fundamental violation of the non-aggression principle. If people want it, they can volunteer to pay for it. If "everyone wants it", "everyone" can voluntarily pay for it. I would definitely consider a donation.

No.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
What's interesting, in a terrifying kind of way, is apparently they can still deny you coverage because of a preexisting condition; The catch is, they get fined.

How much is the fine?.. You're never going to believe this..

$100 a day
THAT'S IT!

So my question is, if you are forced to pay for PRIVATE insurance, and they chose to deny you because it's cheaper for them to pay $100 a day than pay for your surgery or whatever, ... What happens? You forced to continue paying, and they just keep denying you?

What's going on..

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
1. No more than having to wear a seat belt or helmet. people moaned about those laws also when they first were in place out of principle, but that fizzled out.

2. Currently no, Will get some if I can afford it....finally

3. n/a

4. pay/go. No more expansion that costs that cannot be paid. This health care bill is a decent one and will help out, but we simply cannot add further programs until we either eliminate others, or find a new source of tax revenue

5. I think if we are advanced enough as a civilization, then yes. The question is, are we advanced enough...are we a great nation or not.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

1) Yes. As a supposedly free citizen of this country, I should have the choice of what products I choose to purchase or not. If I want to gamble that I will not need a healthcare plan, that's my right and I am willing to live with the consequences. To that extent, if the government would allow me to sign a waiver to opt out, under condition that I could only receive medical services if I paid cash out of my pocket, I would do so.

2) No, I do not have health insurance. Don't want it, either.

3) At this point, I have no idea what I would do. Probably just pay the fine.

4) Its hard to say, but generally speaking, I don't trust the US federal government to administrate anything effectively, either in terms of services provided or in terms of cost.

5) No more so than food or a roof over my head.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
This survey is generally for people in the USA. If you live in another country you are welcome to chime in, but please state your country if you do that.

Insurance is a racket. Will I be reimbursed after a 12 month increment of good health?

No. Again, No.

A-zero B-Don't own a house. C-The officers arresting me will have a fight on their hands. If I'm going to jail, it will be for defending my liberties.

Is it taken from me like the IRS racket? Uses my tax dollars and doesn't return to me with the interest due, like a bank loan?

Good question. If it is a human right, why does it have to cost?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I am on a veteran disablity pension that does not count as income.

So i have $0 income and would get free health insurance.

A already get free health care through the VA but its a long trip to my VA hospital for minor problems and the ER for emergencies.

yes i would fill out the paper work for the free insurance.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

If , If it becomes a perminent Law , Hell No !

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
*bump* I want more opinions! Everyone acts so angry, yet it appears the vast majority of angry people will comply with something that they seem to believe violates their rights. Its nice to know there are at least a couple other people here who will not comply.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
How will we stop them from fining us since they'll take it out of our paychecks much like any other tax? If I actually have a choice of whether I pay the fine or not, I won't pay. I WILL go to jail if need be and I WILL defend myself. I'll lose, but that won't stop me. I won't be the only one. Funny thing if I so happen to go to jail because I deny health insurance and don't pay their levies, it'll be my first time ever going to jail let alone having a run in with the law. Hell, I've never had a speeding ticket. If I go to jail because of this, I won't be able to prevent myself from chuckling.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I am on a veteran disablity pension that does not count as income.

So i have $0 income and would get free health insurance.

A already get free health care through the VA but its a long trip to my VA hospital for minor problems and the ER for emergencies.

yes i would fill out the paper work for the free insurance.

better check and make sure you still are going to get it... because some vets like you and i are going to lose our tri care... and that scares hell out of me...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

1. Yes, it does violate that principle.

2. No I do not have health insurance and NO I do not plan on purchasing it.

3. I will not be willing to accept ANY amount of fine for violating my rights. I have nothing that they would be willing to take. Lastly, if threatened with jail time, I would be off the grid in a heartbeat.

4. REAL universal health care isn't so much of a bad thing if gone about in a helpful and moral way.

5. No, not necessarily. It is more of a moral obligation. I believe AFFORDABLE health care should be a human right.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
1. Yes, it also violates my 10th amendment rights.
2. Yes, I have health insurance.
3. Lol. If they can't enforce I buy their insurance what makes you think they can enforce me to pay a fine, give up my house, or go to jail. I will leave it at that.
4. No.
5. No.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Well my State of Ohio, Republic of, just today stated they would be filing a lawsuit to make it law that Ohio residents do not have to buy, pay for, or pay fines over the Health Care Law, which is an illegality in itself. So I reckon I won't have to participate in their little plan. I hear our State House got some strong advice to do this from some pretty powerful people. Could be rumor, but there are a lot of those of late.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
1. Yes, a mandatory purchase of health care violates the constitution in my opinion. They could have tied it to using public hospital services that get federal support. People are not required to get driver's licenses but they do so that they can drive a car legally.

2. I already have health insurance. My premiums were already raised over 20 percent ahead of the health care vote. I expect they will go up a lot more now even though I'm in the middle class and rarely visit the doctor. I will have to pay more for all those getting free visits whether they need to see a doctor or not.

3. NA

4. Universal taxes for something you will never use is not fair. I already pay enough taxes. We already pay a lot more for health care here in the US than many other countries pay with universal health care. The problem many other countries have is that they have to wait months on occasion to get scheduled visits at their doctors.

5. I believe too many people in this country believe they are entitled to benefits paid by the government. I believe the Founding Fathers never stated anything in the constitution about the right to universal health care. In fact I thought there was something about Life, Liberty (freedom), and the pursuit of happiness. Requiring me to buy a product violates my liberty.

I do believe most rational people would buy health insurance if the government provided a reasonably priced insurance plan that had full coverage. People that had to use it but didn't sign up for it but could afford it could be fined with higher hospital bills than everyone already in the plan. It kind of already works like that if you have to use the hospital without insurance. Right now those extra payments are extremely excessive. Making health care affordable and accessible is important and I think the democrats went about it all wrong and did not need to upset as many people as they have.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

No more so than abortion restrictions do.

Yes.

(a)The maximum allowed until I get insurance again. (b)I'm not worried because they can't. (c)I'm not worried because they can't.

Read part 1, chapter 48 of the act if you don't believe me. I'll even U2U message you the specific line if you want me to.

Generally, yes.

Yes.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

The forced purchase of a product, does not. However, if under such a forced purchased, you were made to be tested, scanned, examined, then yes.

I currently do not. I had planned on it in the next few years, but if I am being told I have to, well now I sure as hell am not going to get it.

Will not pay any fine. I want to see the face of the person who tries to 'seize' anything, or jail me because I didn't get health insurance. I guarantee I would be the next Ruby Ridge.

No.

Not at all. Human rights are rights that you are inherently born with. (Speech, beliefs, self defense,security of ones possession/privacy) If it requires taking or using another person and not something done on your own, then it is not a human right. (Healthcare, food, a car, a house, any material item)

new topics

top topics

join