It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A severe storm in the western Australian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The cost of the damage is estimated at more than $100m

The freak storm hit Perth, one of the world's most isolated cities, late on Monday.

"From my memory this would be the most severe weather conditions we've had since the famous May storm in 1994, where we had very, very strong winds and a massive loss of power supply,"

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

Have I confused this with South Australia's massive hail storms as well?
As of last week I think...?
Or did they occur in WA?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This storm was freaking awesome.
I sat in my office from 4pm to 6pm (15th floor) watching this thing roll in.
It was the biggest storm ive seen hit Perth in my days here (22yrs) and I was in MAndurah when the Tornado hit in 93?

The morning was fine and sunnny.. 30oC, at 4pm it was overcast.. at 430 it hit in an instant and sounded like a jumbo...

2 big storms one after the other... It was awesome!

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I was stressing about my car which I had left at the airport, I saw all the smashed windscreens and dented roofs on the news as well as hearing part of the roof of the QANTAS terminal collapse, I feared the worst.

Flew in last night after a stressful 24 hours to find it perfect condition, in fact cleaner than it normally is when I fly in thanks to all the rain.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wagtail
reply to post by sv_gravity 800

Have I confused this with South Australia's massive hail storms as well?
As of last week I think...?
Or did they occur in WA?

there was big hail storm in Melbourne, Victoria 1 or 2 weeks ago

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You Aussies are supposed to be tough. People in the great plains have storms like this ATLEAST once a year. Chicago got a really bad storm last year with tornados and everything. I understand Australia is not use to this kind of stuff but toughen up, if us Americans can deal with things like that so can you.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Toughen up you say?

Come work and live where I do and see just how tough us Aussies are...

I work out where it has gotten up to 56 degrees C (132F) in the shade for 10 hours a day and then in the evenings get 100mm of rain drop on my head.

But none of that really matter because when golf ball sized hail stones come down, it's gonna do a lot of damage where ever you are.

PS. Never tell an Aussie he's not tough enough.

[edit on 23/3/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is like the one we had here in Melbourne not long ago.
I was driving along the freeway when it hit. There was bright blue skies, no clouds, then a minute later the whole sky was pitch black! Then out of no where hail was banging into the windows and I instantly couldn't see a meter in front of the car. Everyone slowed down to slower than walking-pace and people had already crashed since there were cars on the side of their roads with their hazard lights stuck up the rear of another car.

Literally came out of no where.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

HAHAHA! =D
I beg to differ,
it's not so much that we aren't tough enough but we DO love a good storm... they are spectacular over here - and provide us with hours of good ol' fashion story tellin' too!
maybe we're all just a little excited by it! =)
Sydney hasn't had a decent rumbler for a while... can't wait for the next big thing -
public safety provided of course.
Besides I work in a landscape yard from 6am - 5.30Pm 6 days a week and this tin can office gets up to 45 degrees in summer so I've toughened up believe me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

PS. Never tell an Aussie he's not tough enough.

PPS. But if you are going to then from behind a keyboard is definitely the safest place.

It's God's own country but he's a tough taskmaster.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I know Aussies can handle some pretty harsh weather; Heat waves, drought, wildfire, cyclones... But when it comes to servere thunderstorms everyone in the world just freaks out. Golfball size hail is pretty typical here in the states, we have even had a hailstone that was 18cm diameter and circumference of 47.6cm.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Actually working in 56 degrees is impossible in Australia because your highest temperature on record was 50.7 in Oodnadatta, South Australia.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Impossible you say?

I guess the thermometer was lying then!

There is also a chance it was a false reading but just because the highest verified temperature is 53.1 (not 50.7 as you've mistakenly pointed out) doesn't mean that that there are places that haven't gone above that temperature.

[edit on 24/3/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Well highest official temperature I should say. I did, at one point, consider moving to Australia but it was just too darn hot and the animals are pretty scary. I am afraid of snakes and spiders so Australia's a no go for me. Other than the constant summer like weather and wild animals you probably have tie with Canada on who has the best country.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Your a joke. No they dont. You obviously have no idea how big this storm was.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
reply to post by Misoir

There's no need to be so outright rude.

I watched the videos and read the reports, I know the storm was a pretty big 1. But I'm just saying we get storms like that alot here in the states so they aren't such a big deal to us.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Actually working in 56 degrees is impossible in Australia because your highest temperature on record was 50.7 in Oodnadatta, South Australia.

The heat in the outback on rigging sites, mine sites does hit that high.
You do know they take temp measurements in the shade yeah?

The thing about this storm, was it hit so quick.

Literally, at 4:20pm it was overcast, at 4:30pm the sky was black and it was thumping down.

Ive never seen so many cars pop marked like a golfball before.

This storm was so unusual because it came down the coast from the north. It collected so much heat and moisture, and when it reached the metro it unleashed.

54mm of rain in the space of 20mins or something.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Originally posted by sv_gravity 800
reply to post by Misoir

There's no need to be so outright rude.

I watched the videos and read the reports, I know the storm was a pretty big 1. But I'm just saying we get storms like that alot here in the states so they aren't such a big deal to us.

true, i'm sorry, i hope its accepted.

i dont get alot of storms where i live, and i love storms, i watch everyone.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join