It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africans Smoking HIV-drugs To Get High - BBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Wow, I missed this when it first appeared in December...I just now ran across mention of this topic in a source that was (probably) less gold-standard than the BBC, I was like, "...hmm..." - but when I found the BBC article below I decided, "Well, it must be true."

Who knew?

The article was written by Alka Marwaha.

Getting high on HIV drugs in South Africa

Anti-retroviral drugs used to treat HIV/Aids are being bought and smoked by teenagers in South Africa to get high.
Reports suggest that the drugs are being sold by patients and even healthcare staff for money.
Schoolchildren have been spotted smoking the drugs, which are ground into powder and sometimes mixed with painkillers or marijuana.
Aids patients themselves have been found smoking the drugs instead of taking them as prescribed.
Anti-retrovirals are used to boost the immune system of people with HIV and to suppress the virus in the blood.
"I couldn't believe it. I was shocked at first, these were school boys in their school uniforms," documentary-maker Tooli Nhlapo told the BBC World Service's Outlook programme.
"They take a pill and grind it, until it is a powder. Some also mix it with painkillers and others mix it with marijuana," said Ms Nhlapo. "They showed me how they roll it and smoke it."
...[T]he South African Broadcasting Corporation documentary-maker ... was told to wait until school finished, so she could actually see how young some of the users were.
"I thought I was going to go to a tavern and see older drug addicts doing this, but I was shocked when I saw school children," she said.
Smoking the pills has a hallucinogenic and relaxing effect.
"When I asked them why they like doing it, they said it helps them relax and forget about their problems," said Ms Nhlapo.
"When you look at them, just a few seconds after taking it, they are in another world," she added.
The children do not know where they are and they stop making sense.
The young users that Ms Nhlapo spoke with get access to these drugs from HIV patients or healthcare workers.
They know when the individual patients go to collect the drugs and buy them, or if they do not have any money, they steal them.
When Ms Nhlapo first came across this new drug phenomenon, she thought it was just happening in one area, among a small group of people.
"I went back to the township and then I discovered that it was something that was known in the entire township," she said.
It has now become a national problem in South Africa, she added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kinda puts a whole new face on stupid old George W. Bush being all proud of himself for having spent billions of US dollars to "fight AIDS in Africa", don't it...evidently we could just as efficaciously sent them a few barrels of PCP, they would have gotten a better buzz and it would have been cheaper for us...OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK, huh

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I dont know why we keep dumping resources down that toilet.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Here is a nice video...at 1:38 they talk about increasing the US money spent on this project...

"Tell Congress to prevent more children from becoming orphans."

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Iunno sounds like african propaganda. It might be true. Just seems weird why they wouldn't you know smoke something else instead of smoking something that will destroy your lungs. Like Qualludes, they have tons of those in south africa.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Maddogkull]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Hmmm... be careful of calling Africa a toilet.

I think by now most of ATS have read about the Banana lectin natural anti-HIV drug, which was on par with 2 current mainstream drugs.

Gambia's president was called a "quack" for the claim of "curing AIDS" back in 2007.

Guess what he gives his patients? Banana!

Right now his "quack cure" has just been validated by peer reviewed science!

See this Spiegel's news:
The Quack in Gambia African Despot 'Cures' AIDS

Dressed in white from head to toe, the head of state stands before his patients, mumbling prayers and waving the Koran. Then Jammeh rubs green glop on their skin, sprinkles them with gray liquid from an old Evian bottle and gives them something yellow to drink. Bananas -- administered orally -- round off the treatment. After repeating the procedure for several weeks, he proclaims the patients healed. All of them. Without exception.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

That's like psychic that you should mention Quaaludes, because when I was typing in the article I was thinking of how the first Circle Jerks LP had "BONG LUDES" etched on it, at the inner edge of the spiral scratch, right next to the paper label...one synchronicity point for you...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
this is very widespread and has been going on for quite some time.

i remember seeing a news story on this over a year or two ago.

i love how poeple think smoking pill binders is somehow not deadly.

top topics

join