It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Poll: 79% Say U.S. Economy Could Collapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Think you're alone in worry about the Global economic Meltdown? Everyone but 21% thinks the economy will collapse.

www.foxnews.com...

Updated March 23, 2010

Fox News Poll: 79% Say U.S. Economy Could Collapse

By Dana Blanton - FOXNews.com

Most American voters believe it’s possible the nation’s economy could collapse, and majorities don’t think elected officials in Washington have ideas for fixing it.

The latest Fox News poll finds that 79 percent of voters think it’s possible the economy could collapse, including large majorities of Democrats (72 percent), Republicans (84 percent) and independents (80 percent).

Just 18 percent think the economy is "so big and strong it could never collapse."

Moreover, 78 percent of voters believe the federal government is "larger and more costly" than it has ever been before, and by nearly three-to-one more voters think the national debt (65 percent) is a greater potential threat to the country’s future than terrorism (23 percent).

Who has a plan for dealing with the economy?

Overall, 35 percent of voters think the Obama administration has a clear plan for fixing the economy, down from 42 percent last summer (July 21-22, 2009).

At the same time the number saying the White House doesn’t have a plan for the economy has increased from 53 percent in July to 62 percent in the new poll. That includes almost all Republicans (88 percent), two-thirds of independents (67 percent), as well as a third of Democrats (33 percent).

Even fewer people think Democrats in Congress (24 percent) and Republicans in Congress (16 percent) have clear plans to fix the economy.

There is a large gap in party support, as Democrats (46 percent) are significantly more likely than Republicans (25 percent) to think their party has a strategy for the economy.
More at link...

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Dbriefed]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
At the rate we're going, and with carbon taxes looming ahead.... now this healthcare burden will be setting in... more IRS agents... more jobs bleeding off, more burdens on EVERYONE. Wall street more out of touch with main street then ever.

It's only a matter of time now, maybe in a week, maybe in a few years, all we need now is some disaster to set it all off... its only a matter of time.

Yeah doom and gloom. On the bright side though, i think a lot more people are waking up... so if that factors in somehow... time will tell. I still have a little hope for humanity, as crazy at that sounds.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Apparently the American People aren't ignorant as we all think.

Well at least we are waking up to the bs of both parties at least on the congressional level.
24% Dems and 16% R have faith that their respected parties have a clear plan to fix the economy. That's pathetic yet only a little off from the truth.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think using the word could was an error.

Its not a if, but a when.

When do the American people think it will collapse.

I personally think a total collapse is needed along with the chaos that follows in order to get a fresh start.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
It's only a belief.

And you, I know how flawed we humans are when it comes to beliefs. Unsubstantiated opinions. The ability to swing from one end to the other.

However, the facts speak for itself.

1. The entire market place is based upon confidence.

2. Money has not 'disappeared' into nothingness. It is still out there, only hoarded up.

3. The Corporations and biz enterprenuers are a greedy lot. They thrive on greed, and would NEVER pass up an opportunity to make a buck

4. Money had been spent on research and trials, and many technologies are on line, that are of necessity and would appeal to niche markets, based upon its affordability, as well as the corporate intelligence to streamline its appeal to attract as many niche markets as posssible.

5. Such tech will create markets and thereby jobs. USA is an innovative nation, had been in the past and will continue into the future, for its brand of freedom brings about creative thinking, through its own sons as well as 'legal' immigrants attracted to its way of life.

6. The growth may not be as startling as before, but a growth nevertheless to springboard to better times, that is, if only corporate can be kept in check. Greed is ok and natural, but the excess of it was what that had cause the chaos of our financial crisis. May we learnt from such mistakes.

7. Once such needed goods hit the markets, with rational niche pricing , quality and marketing US had been famous for, be ready for the boom, and remember always social responsibility.

8. For the Corporations, do remember how commie China, the supposedly 'factory of the world' threated American companies, as well as red taped outsourcing India and unstable Philippines had wrecked the purchaing power of the greatest consumers in the world -US.

So it aint doom and gloom. Once money and confidence circulates again, after this crisis, may we evolve for good, and for sake of all living things...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If you polled Fox News viewers, at least 79% of them would probably tell you that airplanes are held aloft by angles too, that doesn't mean it's true.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Greece is about to collapse, UK is no better. Eurozone will go cascading down the toilet this year, and the US and global economy with it.

Ww will have an oil crisis before long, plunging the world into a deep depression of despair. The old paradigm is done and finished.... Its going to collapse eventually.

Might as well start making plans for a new one!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Thank you for your optimistic view on things.

If we started busting our behinds on the production end of things instead of the service end of things. Maybe with the Yuan going up that would allow that to happen, but with the new cap and trade laws I fear that too will be difficult.

In what areas of the economy should we be looking for these realignments and how do you see the currency crisis "evolving"?

[edit on 23-3-2010 by wylee]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just keep going the opposite of FOX and you will be fine. So 8/10 all the sudden now after all these #ing wars etc. after a healthcare bill gets passed NOW we are #ed????

This is such #ing garbage seriously.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wylee

For the Yuan to rise, it would be sucidal. It would mean lower exports, more worse in these climate of protectionsim of jobs and resources in other nations. The masses, already on low wages, will go nuts.

The CCP had 'stolen' technology or 'stupidly given away by rapacious Corporation' operating there, and will use such technology to good use as the Japs had done back in the 70s, but unfortunately, due to its high corruption, their success in such fields will be limited.

The CCP is stuck, and knows it. For all its belligerance on the world stage, it is in reality on its knees. For all its bravodo of a now monetary system, it will not come to pass or surpass the common US dollar and the trust it still commands.

Fap and Trade is a joke. It will never pass, simply because there is no supporting evidence that it may even help our environment at all. President Obama be may a staunch environmentalist, but he is also a pragmatic person and know where to draw the line.

He, like many other tree hugger politicians had been fooled and embarassed by the Climategate scandal. Make no mistakes, Climate change is a reality, and had been a reality for centuries.

The critical issue is not the 5 % help Cap and Trade can offer, but other more vital ideas and programs to minimise Climate change's effect, such as population relocation from danger areas and strengthening existing structures, as well as funding for alternative energies.

Am I right or wrong? I don't know, but I trust logic and reason.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The Super Duper Galactic friends poll says the same thing as the Fox news poll!! I'd post a link to the info but its on my super spaceship computer out back but the battery on my spaceship is dead and needs a jumpstart. Seriously though, I think anyone with some common sense can turn off Fox and just look at the handwriting on the wall and come to the same conclusion.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
I think using the word could was an error.

Its not a if, but a when.

When do the American people think it will collapse.

I personally think a total collapse is needed along with the chaos that follows in order to get a fresh start.

A fresh start is only good, if the people have a say in it, and not just the government. I think that is why they are on such a big spending spree at this time. Over spend in a big way to drive the dollar down and out. Then, set a new system in place. THAT, is what we need to watch out for. As long as it isn`t a system of interest and taxes we will be fine.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Of course it's meant to collapse, what did you all think the point of the bank bailouts were?

Also, I hope everyone knows that the bank bailout was not $800 billion + but $23.7 trillion.

It's now over $28 trillion.

Yes that's in TRILLION.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The economy was in danger of collapse before the healthcare legislation was ever even in rough draft form, and the passing and signing hasn't changed one single thing about our flawed economy. We still operate on a destined-to-fail fractional reserve system with a fiat currency that is little more than fancy toilet paper. The only thing that strikes me as strange about the numbers on this poll is that they are as high as they are; most folks are content to believe the headlines and think happy-happy-joy-joy all day if they can get away with it. Nobody wants to really think about the prospects of hyperinflation (triple digits or more), devaluation of the currency or the end result of total societal collapse.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The original article didn't mention healthcare. But I understand the defensive stance based on widespread public anger about it.

I searched for similar polls, but only found parallel articles:

America, the fragile empire - Here today, gone tomorrow -- could the United States fall that fast?
February 28, 2010
www.latimes.com...

United States: Next empire on the precipice of collapse?
March 20, 2010
economyincrisis.org...

Greek crisis may hit US economy: Fed regional chief
By P. Parameswaran (AFP) – 1 day ago
www.google.com...

New Treasury data suggests that the USA collapse has started
March 23, 2010
alanmccrindle.wordpress.com...

Is the Eurocalypse Nigh?
March 22, 2010
www.fool.com...

Pound Could Collapse Within Weeks, Predicts Billionaire Financier Jim Rogers
February 25, 2010
media.einnews.com...

Personally, I don't think the economy will crash suddenly. Rather, I think it will be a long, painful, bleeding out for the next decade. All the actions of Congress that we don't approve of are bleeding us.

One last factoid: When social security was first enacted in 1935, the average lifespan after 65 was 14 weeks. Today the average lifespan after 65 is 14 years. It's already 2010, in four years (2014) social security costs will be more than revenue. That's a bubble about to burst in your lifetime.
www.socialsecurity.gov...
www.census.gov...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Even if the US had an economic collapse and suffered massive hyperinflation, that doesn't mean the country is going anywhere.

Conditions would be like the Weimar Republic.

It would be in the best interests of the planet for the US economy to not collapse. People think the US is imperialist and fascist now? Ha!

The Beast that would rise out of a US economic collapse would make the Third Reich look like Care Bears.

new topics

top topics

join