It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible verse help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Could someone break this down a bit better for me please? I could simple look it up but wanted to run it by the people here first. To much fake crap out there on the web. Thanks for your help all.

Thus saith the LORD of hosts: "After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye. For, behold, I will shake mine hand upon them, and they shall be a spoil to their servants: and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me." (Zech. 8-9)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I can't find the exact verse (I think you need to double-check the reference), but the gist of it works out like this;
These words were given in the period when the Jews had returned to Judah after the Babylonian exile. God is angry with the nations which have been "despoiling" his people. He is angry because his people are his favourites- "the apple of his eye".
I think this refers to the Babylonians themselves, and also to the various nations, like the Edomites and Ammonites, who had been having a field-day attacking the helpless Jews who remained behind. God is going to punish these enemy nations; they, in turn, will be despoiled "by their own servants", they will be destroyed. In Zechariah's time, the Babylonian empire had already been destroyed.
I assume that the "shaking hand" is either "shaking the fist at", or the image that he is holding something destructive in his hand that he is going to pour over them. I would want to check another translation, if I could find the right verse. I hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ah- now that I've actually found the verse, in ch2, it's more obvious that he wasn't actually talking about the immediate future, so first reaction slightly off-target. But the basic principle is the same, really. In the long-term the enemies of God's people will be destoyed, and God's people will have no more enemies. I would equate this promise with the end of Revelation and the "new Jerusalem" described there, because in the NT the church has become "God's people Israel" and inherited the promises attached.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thank you very much. I think deep down I understood it but didn't want too. Reason being the way we are treating them "United States". Oh boy, thanks again for your help.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dthwraith

A point to add, Zechariah I believe is kinda a book of encouragement (in some aspects) from that persepective, the term 'apple of his eye' is rendered in other translations and versions as daughter...or Pupil...

So the, in my opinion, encouraging aspect of this is the comparison of touching God's people to touching the pupil of Gods eye...

What happens when if I touched your eye? An immediate response! Sfitly swatting away the hand that touched...

So it will be in the great day when Satan comes against His people the response will immeadiate and decisive!

top topics

join