It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service Investigating Twitter Accounts Calling for Assassination

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

whitehouse.blogs.foxnews. com

The Secret Service is investigating two Twitter account users who made threatening comments about President Obama following the House of Representatives vote on health care legislation.

@Solly_Forell, who says he is an “authentic African American” on his Twitter page, allegedly posted comments about assassinating President Obama over the weekend. And he’s not the only one.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.suntimes.com
www.inquisitr.com
latimesblogs.latimes.com

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The White House knew that by passing this heath care bill they would be stirring up trouble. They are so paranoid that they are taking twitter comments to heart.

The White House knows that people are pissed and willing to try and stop this madness from getting worse. It's getting ugly fast.

This is not the first time they have taken these kinds of threats seriously. Of course some of them have been from white supremacists.

Obama knows people are gunning for him. Jesse Ventura told him to watch his back.

www.prisonplanet.com...

whitehouse.blogs.foxnews. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/3/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Just a very brief yet important reminder.

Any post supporting the twitters will not be tolerated and will be removed.

As well, continued posting off topic will result in thread closure or removal.

Edit for clarity.

[edit on Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:35:04 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Really? 2 people calling for a leaders assassination on twitter is "getting ugly fast"?

Sounds like wishful thinking to me... :-)

You get 10's of thousands of these, and then you will maybe start to have a movement of idiots... but until then, you've got a couple haters which are always there.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I hope they arrest and prosecute this individual. This is not what we need, even if you are against health care reform.

Here is this individual's twitter account:

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
arrest and prosecute this individual?? are you kidding me? why not just trample all over the first amendment.

i find that statement more appalling then whatever those 2 guys said.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pewbert
arrest and prosecute this individual?? are you kidding me? why not just trample all over the first amendment.

Because that is illegal. That is solicitation of murder.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Because that is illegal. That is solicitation of murder.

Absolutely...Any prosecutor worth his salt should be able to make a conspiracy to murder charge stick...Or use the threat of same as a big stick to get a plea on a lesser charge...

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The first amendment doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a movie theater or bomb in an airplane when there isn't one. It also doesn't give you the right to call for the killing of an individual.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Prosecuting is probably going overboard, but they should definitely look into any assassination threats. It would be way worse if they did nothing and Obama gets killed. It would be a black stain on the secret service and on America.

I don't like Obama, but i don't want him assassinated. I'd rather see him impeached and fired.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zedd31415
Prosecuting is probably going overboard, but they should definitely look into any assassination threats. It would be way worse if they did nothing and Obama gets killed. It would be a black stain on the secret service and on America.

I don't like Obama, but i don't want him assassinated. I'd rather see him impeached and fired.

I don't believe prosecuting is going overboard. For you when is it NOT going overboard? When someone actually assassinates? Nip it in the bud and set an example...otherwise, this garbage may go viral.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
They can't be the sharpest tool in the shed if they're putting they're intentions on the internet.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by badvok123
They can't be the sharpest tool in the shed if they're putting they're intentions on the internet.

Yep. They are about as sharp as a ball bearing.

There is a fine line between freedom of speach and a threat. As far as I am concerned the Twitter message isn't a threat. Stupid, but not a threat. You don't cross the line to threat until you act upon your statement. The Secret Service should investigate. If they find that one of those morons just bought a plane ticket to DC or Iowa, then you may have a threat.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what the reason for the comment(s) was, whether a person agrees with Obama or even likes him...it is the Secret Service's job to investigate any threat against the president.

Period.

Venting with friends over a beer at the pub is one thing, publishing statements in any form is something completely different. The MSM will likely run full speed with this as yet more evidence of the 'domestic terrorist element rampant on the internet.'

These two just gift-wrapped this week's fear the internet story.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The secret service will do what it always does... They'll check it out, discover that the guy is an idiot...Sharp as a ball bearing is a great description. This numb-skull will find himself talking to two dark-suited gentlemen/ladies who have NO, absolutely none, sense of humor.

If I had to guess, he'll get read a riot act, and told he's on a list, and mind his P's and Q's. For the rest of his life, every time a threat is made against any elected federal official, his name will pop up... He'll be on a first name basis with the local secret service... Serves the idiot right.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I wouldn't dismiss the twitter post as nutcase jobs. The climate of the country is divided (just the perfect climate for an event). I happen to think that if someone DOES make an attempt, then it will be used as a tool for the people who planned it. Like 911, it is what happens AFTER said event that really reveals the true intentions of said event.

"Problem > Reaction > Solution"
David Icke

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Anyone that condones assassinating a US President is absolutely stupid. However, the American people are honestly out of options except violence at this point. And when I say violence I don't mean necessarily bodily harm to individuals. The US government in its current form isn't just going to quietly disappear into the dark because we as citizens are fed up. writing our politicians, holding signs and protesting in the streets, voting, etc. etc. have ALL FAILED TO DO ANYTHING! So what other options except getting mad and getting physical do we have? How much more are we going to take of this crap? It's time the molotav cocktails, graffiti, and what not short of harming actual people begins. We need REAL riots in the streets..........turning over cars, throwing bricks through bank windows and government buildings. REAL SOCIAL UNREST!!!!!!! ALA THE GREEKS AND THE FRENCH! Not this sissy crap! I mean how many "dont tread on me" signs are we going to fly.................the government has been treading on us for a long time.......it's time the snake bites back a little bit!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
The first amendment doesn't give you the right to yell fire in a movie theater or bomb in an airplane when there isn't one.

Yes it does. Show me in the first Amendment where it says you cannot yell fire in a theater.

The point is the ruling regarding yelling fire in a theater is a court interpretation. The 1st Amendment does not actually say that.

Once you start limiting speech even if the reason seems justified, you are on a slippery slope. Give a inch and they will take a foot.
You can find many other reasons or laws to arrest the idiot for yelling fire in a theater, but don't invoke the first amendment as a reason for arrest.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Is shouting "fire" in a crowded theater as protected a right as calling for the president's assassination AND saying you'd do it yourself?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater in itself is not a criminal act. It is a civil matter. By shouting "fire" you accept the liability for that action and if someone is hurt or killed as a direct result, then it is a criminal matter.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join