It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese consumed millions of gallons of toxic sewage oil: study

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I have to ask - what on earth was your uncle doing using human waste on his fields in the first place? And where was he sourcing this from?

Tragic as the ending of your story is it sounds self induced.

In addition my dad told me as a child that the rice grown in paddy fields was predominantly manured with human waste among others.. one of the reasons he was never too keen on rice pudding

Interesting blog here on the subject
foreignerinthefamily.blogspot.com...

Snippet

Although things are changing, farmers main source of fertilizer is animal and human waste. Children are sent to gather buffalo, pig and dog excrement from around the village and families empty out the waste from their pit toilets onto their fields, seemingly unaware of its dangers.

Yum yum

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by badBERTHA

Originally posted by badBERTHA reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

I have to ask - what on earth was your uncle doing using human waste on his fields in the first place?

I have no idea why he was using human waste or even if it was really human waste I only took him at his word and I had no reason then or now to think he would lie to me about the source of the sludge. However I am quite sure that many years ago I either heard or read in the media that human waste was to be used in the fields. It was not his fields by the way, he was working for a farmer.

Originally posted by badBERTHA And where was he sourcing this from? Tragic as the ending of your story is it sounds self induced.

I do not know where his sources were as it was all word of mouth and as to the fact that he took a self induced full in the face blast well I would agree with you. Had I been in his position the very last place to stand as I fought to unblock a faecaly impacted pipe would be to stand right where the blockage would clear (maybe a hangover had dulled his mind).

However that aside his mistake has cost him very dear so I will not cast any aspersions onto his bad choice of location – he has probably done that himself over and over again well into the small hours because if I was in his shoes I would be reliving that event over and over for all eternity.

Originally posted by badBERTHA In addition my dad told me as a child that the rice grown in paddy fields was predominantly manured with human waste among others.. one of the reasons he was never too keen on rice pudding
Interesting blog here on the subject foreignerinthefamily.blogspot.com...

Thanks for the link I shall take a good look at it. I should mention also that I do believe my uncle as having driven my car in some farmland in Berwickshire and elsewhere I would say that the smell that rises from many fields has a stench that can only have come from the human digestive system – however it could be pig manure too as they are similar to us in many ways. You just need to look at a banker or a politician to see the similarity (cheap I know)

Originally posted by badBERTHA Snippet Although things are changing, farmers main source of fertilizer is animal and human waste. Children are sent to gather buffalo, pig and dog excrement from around the village and families empty out the waste from their pit toilets onto their fields, seemingly unaware of its dangers. Yum yum

Perhaps my uncle is not lying or had been “had” and perhaps the UK led the way in human fertiliser after all.

All I can say is yuck!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I would suggest that you contact your local sanitation system. They will give you a tour of the facility if you ask nicely. You can see how the waste is separated and where it goes. I have been meaning to do this for quite some time now but have never gotten around to it. If you end up doing this will you send me a message on ats? thanks.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I can confirm that processed human waste is used as fertiliser in the UK and it is readily available. They used it yearly on th farm I used to live near.

Sources to confirm.

www.thisiswesternmorningnews.co.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

It seems to me as if in these modern times, it is now a cheap and safe way of fertilising crops as well as being fairly environmentally friendly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join