It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Hispanics puzzle over race question on census form!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Atricle: The latest government census form is fairly straightforward, but question No. 9 has proved troubling for some Hispanics.

"It was confusing," says Jessica Valenzuela, a schoolteacher from Avondale. "I came to that question, and I just stopped. I didn't know what to put."

The question asks to which race residents of a home belong. The choices offered are White, Black, American Indian, Alaska native, various Asian descents, Hawaiian, Pacific Islanders and "some other race."

Source: www.azcentral.com...
form-hispanic-question.html

Whata ya gonna do.... If you the Census Bureau? Better luck next time.
Wait till POTUS Obama gets wind of this.... it won't happen again...
)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

There is nothing wrong with the census question. Race is not "ethnicity"...and "hispanic" is an ethnicity...not a race.

You could be a "white" hispanic, a "black" hispanic, or an "American Indian" hispanic.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I saw the part in question, and yeah, it is a Little confusing, but after reading it the second time I understood what they were asking, but im a white single male living alone so the question doesnt pertain to me.

Im just really glad I dont have a phone line ta my aapartment, because there is NO WAY I am putting my cell number on the census form. If they want my number bad enough they can get it from verizon.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Where is the confusion? If all Americans simply wrote HUMAN this would be a non issue.

Every ten years our government sends each of its citizens a letter, which once a decade gets to remind us of our division, and the government should see us all as human not as different races.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I did that, and so did my roommate. It also asked how many people were living in our household, and we put 0. Because no dead people live here. He he.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I read the question and understood it perfectly. Perhaps this is part of the problem with our school systems today...the teachers lack basic reading comprehension.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Race in the census is very important. It helped the government out immensely when they corralled all the Japanese into camps.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The teacher could use some reading classes. But everyone should write in Human. Sure race does tell the different types of apart but that should not matter. Either Male or Female.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by deadforce]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I wish we were privy to the real stats regarding replies to the census. I would love to see how many wrote in "human" or "latino" or " irish" or whatever, given the choices. Some seem to be fed up with the racial questions we are inundated with daily now. PTB want to push us into globalisation, they should accept it from us. I do not even know where my grampa came from. Nor do I care. They find Phoenician artifacts in the US, for heaven's sake, we have been mixing up for centuries.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
She should've put "some other race". Hispanic is not a race. It's just a term that groups the Spanish speaking peoples of Central and South America.

ot - I don't think i've met one chinese or black person who self-identifies as "hispanic" as their ethnicity.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
I wish we were privy to the real stats regarding replies to the census. I would love to see how many wrote in "human" or "latino" or " irish" or whatever, given the choices. Some seem to be fed up with the racial questions we are inundated with daily now. PTB want to push us into globalisation, they should accept it from us. I do not even know where my grampa came from. Nor do I care. They find Phoenician artifacts in the US, for heaven's sake, we have been mixing up for centuries.

I have done so for twenty years on every form I fill out. It isnt much but it is these little steps, that eventually start the change. Eventually.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
is a good way to cover up mass illegal and legal immigration of hispanics into the US. Now the census won't look as scary to white folks losing their majority.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It's the only part of the census that has me unsettled. I filled in "what the hell is this" or something along those lines. I'm white, though, so it might get taken the wrong way.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Don't worry if it gets taken the wrong way. Screw being a pawn. You are what you are. Don't worry about licking poisonous labels.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Frankly, I was rather disturbed that I no longer can even have the choice of being called caucasian. Every other "race" has multiple choices! Not me. I had to settle for just white. I'm telling you -- it's unfair!!!

Seriously though....equality will never be fully realized until we all simply figure out we are just American. And for equality, it could simply be two choices: American, non-American. Then, even temporary residents and illegal immigrants are covered.

See how simple....

new topics

top topics

join