It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Shuts China Site in Dispute Over Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Google Shuts China Site in Dispute Over Censorship

www.nytimes.com

SAN FRANCISCO — Just over two months after threatening to leave China because of censorship and intrusions from hackers, Google on Monday closed its Internet search service there and began directing users in that country to its uncensored search engine in Hong Kong.

While the decision to route mainland Chinese users to Hong Kong is an attempt by Google to skirt censorship requirements without running afoul of Chinese laws, it appears to have angered officials in China, setting the stage for a possible escalation of the conflict, which may include blocking the Hong Kong search service in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I'm glad Google actually stuck to their threat here. China continues to deny any hacking yet Google traced the recent attack to two Chinese universities. I don't know if its just me, but the way Chinese officials deny any wrong doing on China's part is hillarious.

Further denial from China coming soon.LOL

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm stunned that they didn't go along with censorship. Of course, when did a huge corporation ever give in to a government without a fight. They are probably pissed off at China for not kissing their most honorable golden hinney.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
who runs china GOOGLE?
man you want to set up shop in any country city or town you follow the local laws . You dont like um LEAVE. who the heck do they

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Very important update. Thank you. (S&F)

Looks to me like Google is fighting censorship around the globe - mainstream media censorship in the West; government censorship in China.

Is that what's happening? Is Google standing alone? ...Or is Google partnered with the US corporate government - only a pretend champion for "democracy"?

Anyone know? Other ideas?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Good for Google, may they continue to send a message to countries that engage in gross human rights violations.

I hate that more companies dont quit doing business with China, but we all know money matters to these types.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
who runs china GOOGLE?
man you want to set up shop in any country city or town you follow the local laws . You dont like um LEAVE. who the heck do they

Google does have a policy of following local laws. The problem with China is they change the law whenever it suits them, thats what a communist governement does. So how is google supposed to follow the law when its not written and ever changing?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Is that what's happening? Is Google standing alone? ...Or is Google partnered with the US corporate government - only a pretend champion for "democracy"?

Anyone know? Other ideas?

I really think this is a matter of Google sticking to their principles and not being able to comply with China's murky laws.

Google Mission Statement:
"To organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful."

Google motto:
"Don't be evil"

I think china's ways of doing business have rubbed google the wrong way enough for them to say China isn't worth it. Google is walking away from the largest market in the world and giving up mega $$$ to stick by their principles, and that is most definently not something we see every day.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It won't be long and Google may just become the Government of the Internetz world...

I wonder who'll be the President?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Let's not pretend like Google is standing up to censorship as some paragon of virtue. They moved their search engine to Hong Kong as a play to avoid breaking Chinese law because they WANT to keep business going inside China - their other businesses; maps, music, ads, etc..., as well as programmer recruitment.

Nothing has changed - Google knows full well that their search results will continue to censored by the Great Wall to users in the mainland. They don't care about that; they just want to keep doing business in China. Shifting to Hong Kong is just their move to come out looking shiny to the world while keeping the money rolling.

We'll have to wait and see if China finds this move acceptable. As the OP article points out, they could consider this a challenge to their control of Hong Kong.

new topics

top topics

join