It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Brain Stops Time (New Research)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by I.C. Weiner

I agree with you 100%, I am exactly like you.

I grew up riding BMX stunt and motocross. I still ride freestyle motocross, and I also race motocross once a week at a local track. Also... I am a 20 year long drummer too.. it helps with timing.

When riding BMX stunt or motocross, when you jump a large jump, at first it all seems to happen really fast, in the blink of an eye. 2 second air time would feel like a 10th of a second. Sometimes you don't even have enough time to think while in the air. But, over time, the more and more you jump, you start to learn how to focus in the air. Those 2 seconds start to feel like 3 or 4 seconds.... Your mind learns how use the time dilation effect, and you can start doing tricks in the air because everything is in slow motion.

It's like you are aware of more frames per second....

I am like you, I have learned how to turn it on and off at will. I can use it to my advantage sometimes too... it's exactly like the Matrix.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OnceReturned

Originally posted by manbird12000
reply to post by OnceReturned

People are all moving in their own version of time, it's only when they compare that to the pulse of the Clock, do they see how it speeds up and slows down.

But, people didn't discover clocks, they made them. Don't you think they made them in order to measure something that they already had an idea existed? Don't you think the cave men could tell a long time from a short time? Clocks don't make time. Their behavior is directly corrolated to time, so we use them to make precise measurements. Just like we use thermometers to tell temperature even though we can guess about hot and cold. They both respond is a predictable way to a real physical phenomenon. You're not moving in your own version of time any more than you are moving through your own version of the ambient temperature.

Some try to relate the measurement of time to the actual passing of moments. No longer is it just a rhythmic wave. It now has become the mental prison of time in our minds where everything, including emotions, are drenched in a non tangible dimension called past and present.

The emotional control of time is the major part of our perception of our time. After all, it's the perception of time that weighs more heavily than the actual duration of Quartz pulses. When you are the one within the time dilation, you are only aware of how time is going slow for YOU and you only. Controlling the amount of energy you focus in the NOW, seems to disintegrate the dimension of time itself.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This would explain something in my childhood that i couldn't explain at the time ... for some reason i have had the vivid memory from when i was a child ...

basically we made a bike jump on our driveway, now our driveway was long like 100 meters long and it was all concrete ... and the first at least 50 meters of it was downhill. So i was flying down this driveway onto the home made jump ... now as i mounted the jump one side of our jump collapsed and i was flung into the air on a strange angel and pretty much ghostied ... not very high but i knew it was still gonna hurt ... i hit the ground ...

and to me this is what happened ..... ok ive hit the ground ... now i felt like i was knocked out and had just woken up ... i felt like i was lying there face down for at least 30 secs ... then all of a sudden ... BAM ... the bike landed on my back with full force ... to me it felt like time actually stopped or slowed right right down ... as soon as the bike hit me and rolled off me everything went back to normal ...

now i know for a fact that it wasn't only my memory because it was between me hitting the ground and the bike landing on me that time slowed ... not after the event when i was thinking about it ... it happened during ...

i talked to many people about what happened to me at the time because it was really unexplainable to me ... but everyone laughed it off as me being crazy

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

How To Make this happen and how to Control This?

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
reply to post by CHA0S

drugs ... its most likely a chemical reaction that triggers ur brain to process like this, im assuming it could be synthesized or recreated in some way.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I thought this was solved many years ago, and has nothing to do with time genuinely slowing down. In simple terms I heard the explanation that when a life and death experience occurs, in which people feel time went slowely, it is simply your brain immediately processing fewer images. Thus allowing greater time to be spent on the one image and reacted upon.

Imagine from your eyes point of view (perspective) recording a car about to hit you, the recording has simply been set to show only a few frames of the entire sequence instead of 100's. Your brain is then allowed to devote more power to studying that one image, rather than also having to process your vision (almost like shutting down processes on your computer.)

When your mind attempts to look back on this event, due to having spent an extended amount of time on one image your brain naturally gives the feeling of an extended amount of time. As you have indeed spent an extended amount of time looking at one event image, rather than the usual processing speed.

I believe this was proven by some method of testing, in any event its a good post and thank you for posting.

Edit @ALLis0NE: I think I recall it being mentioned that some people can manipulate this natural reaction such as race car drivers without being fully aware they are doing so. As for them, it doesn't feel as if it warps time due to how naturally they have come accustomed to doing this.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ok I just read through the thread and I've seen a few people very close but not quite hitting the nail on the head.

The truth is, nothing is speeding up or slowing down. Not your mind, not time, not reality. Everything is exactly the same.

We all have "2" non physical parts to our brains. Conscious and sub-conscious. Your conscious is there for your body. That's what you use during the day to get through the mundane tasks that keep us alive. Whether it's eating a meal for energy or playing a game to keep us happy. These are the tasks that keep our brains alive. (basically as long as you are alive your brain thinks the body is doing what it is supposed to, whatever that may be(your choice))

The sub-conscious on the other hand is what we use at night to dream. Your sub-conscious picks up almost all of the information that your senses perceive in our waking life. IMHO the sub-conscious is limited to our conscious experiences as the catalysts for sub-conscious thought, i.e. dreams, but once you start combining those conscious experiences in your sub-conscious/dreams the possibilities are basically endless.

You see when we are awake everything we experience gets split into 2 memory streams. our conscious memory stream focuses on the things that we think matter while our sub-conscious memory stream focuses on everything our senses receive without bias.

As you can probably guess I've put lots of years worth of thought into this subject and I like to call this "slowing down" being in the zone.(yes like basketball) You see when someone is in the zone they are not thinking about what they are doing they are simply doing. For most people this is during a time of stress but the truth is it happens when you sincerely know that you need it. See the KEY to all this is our consciousness/awareness/focus.

What we are doing when we are in the zone is simply tapping in to the constantly expanding memory stream of our sub-conscious. Nothing is slowing down or speeding up. We are not receiving more information. We are just focusing on more of it at a time.

Think about it this way. our brains are computers, sometimes we scan the hard drive instead of the desktop.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Time can be perceived differently like this, because time is an illusion. It is malleable. One can do this even while they are not in a life-and-death situation, such as through meditation or drugs. You can perceive anything you want in any way, no matter the situation.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Fangula]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by King Loki

Originally posted by masonicon
reply to post by CHA0S

drugs ... its most likely a chemical reaction that triggers ur brain to process like this, im assuming it could be synthesized or recreated in some way.

King Loki I'm sorry but I do believe you are wrong. The chemical reaction is exactly that, a reaction. There is no way the physical functions of the body can be faster than consciousness. Whether we realize it or not the mental always comes first.

CHA0S the answer to your question will be different for each person asking. The easy answer is, it happens when you need it. Figure out when you need it by realizing when it happens. Then try to replicate those situations. (preferably not the dangerous ones. Control? There is no control only focus.

ps: meditation gives the same experience the difference is you're not focused on reality your focused on your sub-conscious.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I can say from my experiences that time is completely mental!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I was in a car accident when I was a teenager...was hit broadside at 50 mph in the middle of a 6 lane intersection in the middle of rush hour in cincinnati. I didn't see it coming. I was an inexperienced driver.

The second I was aware...time slowed for me...I saw each crack in the windshield, was aware of the trajectory of where I was being pushed, and because of that remained clear headed enough to stay with the car and steer away from the 3 lanes of cars I was being pushed in to....even though I'd already had three impacts against the dashboard cutting my face and damaging my right knee and having the door handle driven into my other knee.

A question of relativity

Clearly my reactions were speeded up...but my perceptions were such that it seemed like it took forever...I had time to think between the cracking of the glass ...observing it and the glass shattered almost leisurly.

When the police came they commented on my driving skill because I missed the other cars by inches and it was a good thing I didn't panic and stayed with the car and try to control it..

I had no idea what I was doing...been driving just about 6 months or so...but the point is that i had enough time to really think about what I was doing..

so...in the end, I guess all things are relative.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have to agree, life or death situations have a tinge of taking what seems like an eternity, in comparison to life's other misfortunes.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JahKinG SouLJaH
I can say from my experiences that time is completely mental!

agreed.

Fear slows time down but fun and happiness speeds it up (personal experience: when I'm usually having fun or enjoying what I'm doing time seems to go by faster. I'm sure many can agree.).

So if you want to live longer, have fun and be happy. don't live in fear as you're just wasting time off of your life.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by Ominousbeing]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

yes I have noticed the same thing, when i was in Iraq, unless you are like me and i asume some are , we were in Iraq in 1989 before they started desert shield, i have done some things im not proud of and i also have forgot several thing that was vital in my mission there, and i am still peplexed about that!!!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the article. The whole time difference under different states have always been my biggest interest.

This may explain why some people remember more details than others. I'm a fairly high anxiety kind of person and remember details that no one else does, to the point where some people insist that I'm lying. I always thought that it has to do with me being more emotionally attached to a situation that makes me remember the details, but now this gives another perspective.

Aside from that, I have emetophobia (fear of vomit), and after 20+ years, I finally got sick enough that it was unavoidable last December. It was one of the slowest moments of my life. I was told that it was less than a minute, but it felt like at least 3 minutes to me, and the details were almost surreal. It was raining and it was as if I could see each drop of rain and every swirl and splash of the, uh, flow (sorry, TMI).

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ATSdelurker

I feel for you , I have heard about the same thing from some of my friends , when they try to remember they get sick !!! whats up with that , is there anyone with an answer???

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
nice post very interesting, the human mind has so much potential, so is it that you remember it more or that i actually slowed down for you, like fear cut out everything else and your brain no longer had no restrictions and you let it take over for you in the situation? or could it even be like "my spider senses are tingling"? regardless nice read

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
If you've ever been in a violent confrontation (not a bar fight, guys), fighting for your life...Time is like a tortoise.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Sorry for my long absence, my computer wouldn't boot up and I spent all day fixing it. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading through some of the responses so far...some very interesting ideas have been mentioned.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I was going to post on something like this. If it has the ability to slow it down then it surely must speed it up. When you are doing the same thing over and over for years you will notice that time has flown by. Maybe it really has flown by. Maybe living in so much monotony requires that we speed up time to get through it without killing ourselves. This is just my thoughts which will probably never get read so uhhh....agaboogabooga!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join