It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst companies in the world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here is the original article

Worst companies in the world

This is a big list of companies that have done horrible evil things to turn a profit and all the sordid details of what they did.

I am a big believer in the saying that 'Money is the root of all evil'

The big corporations only care about profits and do not care about the human cost to generate those profits. It seems to repeat over and over through human history. People hoard the wealth and seek to destroy those who might take it away. Having no care for the starving masses outside the gates, the hoarder cares only to increase his wealth and fortify the security of his wealth. Over time this greedy scheming becomes more complex until you reach our modern world where the divide between rich and poor is reaching critical mass. Where you have a handful of the super-elite aristocracy holding 99% of the worlds land, resources, wealth and yes even the people are owned like a commodity. Slavery never really went away. They just tricked you into believing that you are free.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by guyopitz
Here is the original article

[url=http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/most-evil-companies.php?page=1]

I'm not. Say what if rare shells are what we use for monetary/compensatory exchange? Would you say that "rare shells are the root of all evil?"

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Interesting that Monsanto wasn't on the list - yet.

It's "love of money" that's the root of evil. I guess if seashells or wampum was the current currency, "love of seashells" would work.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Where's Monsanto? They are some truely evil bastards. Trying to Control the World's food supply, knocking off small farmers one by one. If left up to them we'll all be eating Corporate, irradiated, genetically mutated, pesticide bathed crap. What will it do to the human body? Who cares. The sociopaths at Monsanto are making money hand over fist. Also neglected are the majority of big pharma companies. They just want to drug us into oblivion.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow thank you for this info! I had no idea :O

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Originally posted by guyopitz

I'm not. Say what if rare shells are what we use for monetary/compensatory exchange? Would you say that "rare shells are the root of all evil?"

He didn't say "dollar bills" were the root of all evil, he said "money." If we used sea shells as money, then yes, it would still hold true.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

S/he's still wrong since evil existed way before money came into being. People who hate money need help. They cannot think properly. You cannot hate money. It's illogical. I love money. Money, money, money. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The worst company I have come across myself was called Power Plate.

Selling fake or under speced health products made in China to people by using research from other good machines. To do this they used Drs names without permission, put "Made in Holland" stickers on their machines and when a product recall was ordered they tried to sell them to the disabled. Even making up endorsements from disabled people to do so. Would not have believed it it I hadn't seen it .

The people involved with them have no ethics or shame.

They liquidated in my country in 2007 but are still shifting around overseas.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I LOVE articles like this, evil maliscous companys; ) its interesting sometimes, to find a commerial company taht has done enivironemntal and human damage for profit. Example, early 80's, DAWN,t he dish liquid was responsable for this... they were using anionic detergent, and it accumalted in stream water. Thier used top be a youtube vid of it. I spark could igninte the water! also known as firewater. So much chemicals built up in a stream, a power line i think it was, fell into it and set the water on fire! That is why thier is non ionic dtergent.
Exxonmobl of course, did squat for the Valdez spill. Nike has sweathop labor to buuild thier sneakers in INdia, it goes on and on.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The important thing to understand is these are not faceless entities doing evil. They are real life evil people who make the decisions.

If more "naming a shaming" was done, instead of these people being allowed to move from company to company, it would help a lot.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Where's Monsanto? They have killed millions.

They started with agent orange and now have 100s of way to kill you.
www.youtube.com...
www.mail-archive.com...@listserv.aol.com/msg21269.html
www.netlink.de...
www.dailymail.co.uk... .html
www.infowars.com...
www.chemicalindustryarchives.org...
weblog.greenpeace.org...
www.thirdworldtraveler.com...
www.angelarecommends.com...
www.ejnet.org...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by guyopitz

Great link -- thanks. Yeah for that mega agribusiness -- there were no details mentioned on the companies -- just the effects.

Here's an op-ed I wrote when I was a staff writer for the MN Daily at the University of Minnesota on the largest private agribusiness in the world, headquartered in Minnesota:

MAR. 2, 2000 – EDITORIAL/OPINIONS
———————————————————————————————————————— Cargill: Our taxes, global destruction

Minnetonka-based Cargill is often noted as the world’s largest private corporation, with reported annual sales of over $50 billion and operations at any given time in an average of 70 countries. The “Lake Office” of Cargill is a 63-room replica of a French chateau; the chairman’s office is part of what was once the chateau’s master-bedroom suite.

A family empire, the Cargills and the MacMillans control about 85 percent of the stock. Not only the largest grain trader in the world, with over 20 percent of the market, Cargill dominates another 12 sectors, including destructive speculative finance, according to “Invisible Giant: Cargill and its Transnational Strategies,” by Brewster Kneen.

Taking advantage of the capitalist speculative collapse of 1873, Cargill quickly bought up grain elevators. After vast cooperation with the state-sponsored railroad robber barons, central grain terminals averaged extremely high annual returns on investments of 30 to 40 percent between 1883 and 1889. Cargill hired a Chase Bank vice president to secretly help the corporation through the Depression, writes Dan Morgan in “Merchants of Grain.”

“There are only a few processing firms,” and “these firms receive a disproportionate share of the economic benefits from the food system,” states William D. Heffernan, professor of rural sociology at the University of Missouri. Details of Cargill’s price manipulations at the expense of farmers worldwide was documented in the classic study, “Food First: Beyond the Myth of Scarcity” by Frances Moore Lappe and Joseph Collins. They report that Cargill has had a history of receiving elite government price information that should be told to U.S. farmers.

That secrecy, along with tax-subsidized market control, enables Cargill to buy from U.S. farmers at extremely low prices and then sell abroad to nations pressured under the same destructive elite corporate control. See the Institute for Food and Development Policy’s Web Site at www.foodfirst.org....

Between 1985 and 1992, the legal entity called Cargill received $800.4 million in tax subsidies via the Export Enhancement Program, a continuation of the infamous “Food for Peace” policy, writes Kneen. Promoted by Hubert H. Humphrey and instituted as PL 480, food became a Cold War tool, i.e. “for Peace.” If we can induce people to “become dependent on us for food,” then “what is a more powerful weapon than food and fiber?” Humphrey declared, according to “Necessary Illusions: Thought Control in Democratic Societies” by Noam Chomsky.

Actually, most of the nation recipients of tax-subsidized Cargill food dumping were, and are, net exporters of food already — policies imposed by colonial trading patterns. The food (for Peace) has been bought cheaply by neocolonial regimes, and then sold at a huge discount on the local market — in Somalia, for example, at one-sixth of the local prices. Many examples of these misguided policies can be found in “Betraying the National Interest: How US Foreign AID Threatens Global Security by Undermining the Political and Economic Stability of the Third World,” by Frances Moore Lappe, et al.

Cargill’s undercutting wipes out the local farmers’ self-reliance, while the revenues (going to the elite) are tied to required purchases of U.S. weapons, writes Chomsky, citing “The Soft War” by Tom Barry, 1988. But the main beneficiary of “Food for Peace” has been Cargill. Keen writes, “From 1954 to 1963, just for storing and transporting P.L. 480 commodities, the heavily subsidized giant Cargill made $1 billion.”

Indian lawyer N.J. Nanjundaswamy reports that a Cargill motto is, “One who controls the seed, controls the farmer, and one who controls the food trade, controls the nation.” Yudof’s recently stated support of federal foreign policy Title XII is another public promotion of the University of Minnesota-Cargill partnership’s raiding of sustainable agricultural cultures.

Cargill is such a damaging threat that in Dec. 1992, 500,000 peasants marched against corporate-controlled trade, and the irate farmers ransacked Cargill’s operations. Fifty people were arrested at the partially completed — and subsequently destroyed — seed-processing plant in Bellary, India. In 1996, 1,000 Indian farmers gathered at Cargill’s office and destroyed Cargill’s records. For more, see www.endgame.org...

Cargill has been doing bio-piracy, stealing traditional products. For instance, it used Basmati, a rice from India, as its trade name, and the company continues to be one of the main promoters of corporate-driven intellectual property rights. The U.S. Trade Act, Special 301 Clause, allows the United States to take unilateral action against any country that does not open its market to U.S. corporations.

The United States, for example, has threatened to use trade sanctions against Thailand for its attempt to protect biodiversity. A bill that has been before parliament in India and promoted by Cargill, “takes away all the farmers’ rights, which they have enjoyed for generations — they will no longer be able to produce new varieties of seed or trade seed amongst themselves,” writes Nanjundaswamy.

The research center, Rural Advancement Foundation International, found that “fifteen African states, among them some of the poorest countries in the world, are under pressure to sign away the right of more than 20 million small-holder farmers to save and exchange crop seed. The decision to abandon Africa’s 12,000-year tradition of seed-saving will be finalized at a meeting in the Central African Republic. The 15 governments have been told to adopt draconian intellectual property legislation for plant varieties in order to conform to a provision in the World Trade Organization.”

Cargill, with extensive funding from the U.S. Agency for International Development, is also destroying the world’s largest wetland — the Pantanal, in South America — in order to dredge a channel that’s designed for convoys of up to 16 soybean- and soymeal-carrying barges, according to the Institute on Food and Development Policy.

Cargill has been on the Council of Economic Priorities’ list of worst environmental offenders. Mother Jones magazine and Earth Island Journal report that Cargill is responsible for 2,000 OSHA violations, a 40,000-gallon spill of phosphoric solution into Florida’s Alafia River, poor air pollution compliance and record-high releases of toxic waste.

With help from the Program on Corporations, Law and Democracy, located at www.poclad.org..., states have recently begun to respond to citizen pressure and revoke corporate charters. The assets of Cargill should be revoked, allowing the citizens of the United States to give farmers the benefits of fair trade instead of Cargill’s secretive policy of tax-subsidized global destruction.

top topics

join