It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars as you've never seen it before: The colossal ice walls that show another side of the Red Plane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hi All,

I did a search to see if this article had been posted, but nothing came up.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm not sure how to embed the image from the article into my post, so if a mod could help do that, or direct me to where I can get the info to do so, that would great.

The picture shows a section of the Mojave Crater represented in a digital terrain model. It seems as though there has been water erosion & sedimentary deposits down a section in the middle of the picture, and more noticeably at the bottom / bottom right.

At first glance it almost looks like wind erosion one sees here in deserts on Earth. But if that was the case, shouldn't we see that on the more openly exposed areas too? So, are these "ripples" we see caused by water / liquid (past / present), or is there another explanation? (Besides where they say "These 'pitted ponds' are thought to result when material melted by the crater-causing impacts is captured behind the wall terraces.")

[edit on 22-3-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wow. That looks amazingly like earth when it remains untouched like that.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Here you go:

There are no "ice walls" and this isn't a photographic image, it is a digital terrain model.

More available here:
www.uahirise.org...

[edit on 3/22/2010 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Here you go:

There are no "ice walls" and this isn't a photographic image, it is a digital terrain model.

More available here:
www.uahirise.org...

[edit on 3/22/2010 by Phage]

Thanks Phage,

Wasn't sure to reference it as a digital terrain model or photographic image. Nice link - better "resolution"

new topics

top topics

join