It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's eruptions could have global consequences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Blasts of lava and ash shot out of a volcano in southern Iceland on Monday and small tremors rocked the ground, a surge in activity that raised fears of a larger explosion at the nearby Katla volcano.

Scientists say history has proven that when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts, Katla follows — the only question is how soon. And Katla, located under the massive Myrdalsjokull icecap, threatens disastrous flooding and explosive blasts when it blows.

Now here is the interesting part.

Iceland's Laki volcano erupted in 1783, freeing gases that turned into smog. The smog floated across the Jet Stream, changing weather patterns. Many died from gas poisoning in the British Isles. Crop production fell in western Europe. Famine spread. Some even linked the eruption, which helped fuel famine, to the French Revolution. Painters in the 18th century illustrated fiery sunsets in their works.

The winter of 1784 was also one of the longest and coldest on record in North America. New England reported a record stretch of below-zero temperatures and New Jersey reported record snow accumulation. The Mississippi River also reportedly froze in New Orleans.

"These are Hollywood-sort of scenarios but possible," said Colin Macpherson, a geologist with the University of Durham. "As the melt rises, it's a little like taking a cork out of a champagne bottle."

This could be very ver bad for our planet. Especially the British. So if this next volcano blows I hope all people in the British Isles. get to safety.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 3/22/10 by Misoir]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This is certainly one to watch, but not doomsday yet.

If it is like Laki, it will produce significant famine. I read somewhere
that frost occurred in August down into Mexico killing the corn crop. 300,000 died in the resulting famine.
If this kind of scenario happens, George Soros' investment in Argentine
agricultural land might pay off big time. The southern hemisphere would
not be affected and agricultural output down under would be highly profitable.

England's revenge for Icelanders reneging on "their debt"?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

This could be very ver bad for our planet. Especially the British. So if this next volcano blows I hope all people in the British Isles. get to safety.

Sod the British. It will be worse for the Icelanders.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by Misoir

Sod the British. It will be worse for the Icelanders.

surely we're more important than the Icelanders

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That's not what I meant. Iceland has 300,000 people so it would be easier to get them to safety over in Reykjavik than to keep some 60 million Brits safe.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Checking, getting, reading data as fast as I can on this, I think its of real concern.

Bit more on Laki, and how bad she can be:

Researchers found that Iceland's Laki volcanic event, a series of about ten eruptions from June 1783 through February 1784, significantly changed atmospheric circulations across much of the Northern Hemisphere. This created unusual temperature and precipitation patterns that peaked in the summer of 1783, including far below normal rainfall over much of the Nile River watershed and record low river levels.

The Laki event had such a significant impact on the climate because it released large amounts of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. When combined with water vapor, the gas formed into tiny particles called aerosols that reduced incoming solar radiation, cooling the average temperature over Northern Hemisphere land masses by as much as 3 degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) in the summer of 1783, as simulated with the computer model. Tree ring data also showed significantly reduced tree growth in the summer of 1783, indicative of the coolest summer of the last 400 years in northwestern Alaska, while tree growth in parts of Siberia was the least in 500-600 years.
NASA

Historically like now it seems when Eyjafjallajokull the current volcano goes, neighbouring Katla does to.

There a lot of water on top of that!

And part of the Issue with Laki being so bad was due to the water droplets mixed with volcanic gases, on climate.

So it seems when not if Katla goes will she do it calmly or shout?

There is another thread on a differant Forum
With some more info to Here

Elf

[edit on 22-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

not to burst your bubble but this thread has been up for a couple of hours already
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Well unlike the Potential for Katla bursting everyones bubble, you cant.

That thread is in a differant forum.

T & C allow this.

I hope the study of this emerging current event is investigated as well as the folks here: Volcano Watch
Quake Watch and the guys with badges here:What's going on at Yellowstone? have all done.

Its not about bursting bubbles, but collaboration and research on ATS.

Stop trolling

only jesting DaddyBare

Kind Regards,

Elf

[edit on 22-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
cadair.aber.ac.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

oh dearr.......................

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Good Find Thank you!

This part is the most worrying:

The most astonishing phenomenon of 1783

WAS

The persistent and widespread sulphuric dry fog

There’s not much worse if it’s at a high concentration.

Fog that burns your skin, eyes throat everywhere, and aver a large part of Europe!

Real Nightmare scenario and Katla has that potential.

Luckily it seems stable now but in the past she on a mean goes about 2-3 yrs after the current one. 2010 +2?

Well time wont stop maybe in Europe, but leaving the house will, as well as general continent wide chaos & collapse.

This to be fair high statistical chance of Katla erupting in a big way, a Caldera way, as in the past at times is a real emerging and unknown threat. The implications are unimaginable, for the world.

My God you dry up the Nile by at least a third, when they are already fighting over access, diversions etc...

Lower crop harvests worldwide for a few years.

Incapacitate most of Europe; esp. Britain and Northern Europe.... well just would affect every human on earth.

It seems more than likely from all records That Katla will have an eruption between now and 2012/13. Could be today, could be 1000 days away, but unless she changes a habit of a lifetime she will erupt.

I will be a lot happier when she goes, and it’s just like the current eruption at Eyjafjallajokull we can see a nice picture, be amazed and enjoy it. A couple of KM long event.

But if tens of KM squared of Ice fall's into a violently erupting large event at Katla, well there is a high likelihood that most of the people I know, me to, will wake up with Sulphur Fog blanketing the streets.

I don’t want to experience that day lol, so I am optimistic it will be OK but Wisely fearful and observant, even respectful of the power of Katla.

Thanks for the find.

Elf

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
hmm my school is doing a trip to iceland at easter. Glad I went to berlin instead

it shall be time to invest in a gas mask and a CBRN suit

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Luke.S]

new topics

top topics

join