It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's eruptions could have global consequences

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

The time stamp is rather interesting, as you say it could mean all or nothing... what I was trying to get at in my previous post is that mother nature can just turn nasty almost as tho at the flip of a switch, which is the normal in my mind that everyone refers to.. Normal is living one step away from a disaster..

My gut feeling is that something is brewing with mother nature... I can't pinpoint it exactly.. but that is the gut feeling I have.. Hence why I follow threads like yours with great interest.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder if such a thing might have happened there in the past and had something to do with the Younger Dryas, as well as shifting the Mid-Atlantic ridge and slamming Atlantis with hard enough tsunamis to destroy it.

It would be just as devastating as a small asteroid or comet hitting the glaciated area of North America.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

That was a VERY small number of quakes between those times. A good swarm can and has in the past produced as many as 3000 quakes in a single day.

Those are all tiddlers and frankly nothing to be concerned about.

You will find more information on the Volcano Watch 2010 thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Jumpinbeanz

Found an interesting Document from the lead researchers on this.

A study of the historical records of what happened in Europe When Laki went last time.

One description is not good!

The most astonishing phenomenon of 1783 was the persistent and widespread sulphuric dry fog
Cardiff University - Mortality In France Laki Event - pdf

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Here's a webcam of Fimmvörðuháls, the site of the activity:

mila.is...

Here's some footage shot from an airplane:

mbl.is...

The news are reporting a small new mountain is already forming.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Rev.Fenrir]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Dudes..... ANY large eruption would have global implications to some degree. Mt St Helens did. Whats the debate about ?.... a volcano having an impact on man...? Now that's something new!

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Here's a Katla Cam , you can see part of the ongoing eruption.

Pictures of the lave falls , sorry dont know how to make them smaller.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e9da1ce07d9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46688592bf85.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/af58f971ce2b.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 24-3-2010 by Compulsionist]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Amazing, how no one has referred back to this thread in light of the last 24 hours events....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There are soooo many threads at the moment it's hard to keep up with them all lol

I came back for the Katla cam link

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

Yeah, good link, but it seem's that the OP was trying to tell people to be ready, and I find it strange that it seem's no one is looking back to this thread, with all that's currently taking place, with air travel and in Europe and the UK.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Oh yeah... but it's not gone catastrophic just yet.. hopefully it won't either

2nd

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

Too true, am I to understand this also turn's out to be the "Lost" finale or a similar plot twist, very interesting choice to end the show....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by damn_ummmm
Oh yeah... but it's not gone catastrophic just yet.. hopefully it won't either

2nd

Well before anyone pushes the panic button
they were talking about Iceland's Laki volcano as the cause of the poison gases... not this one

but there is a history that any time Eyjafjallajokull blows
Katla follows so things could get worse

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Good to see ya back OP, I was hoping you'd show up, whaddya think so far?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

I've been reading and watching the reports pretty closely
have family living in Spain and when I called them earlier they said it was cloudy but nothing like the TV is showing for northern Europe...
Like I said all along I'm no expert on this subject... so like everyone else I'm taking it all in with awe....

Still I would like to know if officials are measuring air quality for bad gases and if so with air traffic grounded, how would they get people out if needed?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think the global implications of this eruption will be more human centered
than weather centered. The ash falling from the sky when it rains might
clog up a lot of equipment/engines/air-intakes, just like it did in China
last decade.

But as for the weather, the cloud should act as a blanket. Keeping sunlight
minimized has a cooling effect, but the blanket's insulation, with all the human
made warming (and cow gas) will offset the lack of radiational heating. Net
effect will be not much temp change??
-cwm

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Hope all is well in Spain, and you make an excellent point on air evacuation....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by freetree64

I've been reading and watching the reports pretty closely
have family living in Spain and when I called them earlier they said it was cloudy but nothing like the TV is showing for northern Europe...
Like I said all along I'm no expert on this subject... so like everyone else I'm taking it all in with awe....

Still I would like to know if officials are measuring air quality for bad gases and if so with air traffic grounded, how would they get people out if needed?

I'm in Spain too - right down in the very South on the med coast. We had torrential rain all day yesterday and it's a miserable looking day again today but so far, no rain. I don't think it's anything to do with the volcano though because we're too far south for it to be affecting us (yet?). Flights here haven't been grounded.

My family all lives in Britain (south east) and I have friends living in the north east - I haven't heard anything from them about changes of weather or smells. Apart from the airports being closed, no-one seems to notice any difference in their day to day living.

Thanks Freetree64 for reminding me of this thread. Good to read back through the comments here.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
Dudes..... ANY large eruption would have global implications to some degree. Mt St Helens did. Whats the debate about ?.... a volcano having an impact on man...? Now that's something new!

Just wait for Fall to see effects on crops and food amount/prices in Europe,
well,
i am not talking about chemtrails,
maybe, maybe not.

It's gonna be volcano fault, you hear me?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by potential_problem]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Good to see this thread back in action

I was looking for it (half heartedly I admit) as it was a good thread.. anyhow.. I can't help but feel that this could (if the big one goes) create a whole new raft of industries..

Special coatings for planes, new air filtration for cars, homes etc, am trying to be positive here, given that the situation could really suck lemons for us all.

I was reading on one of the other threads that scientists are saying that not only could Katla blow but so could some of the others in Iceland (tho not at the same time) which could really present the world some serious issues...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join